“Birthday @Taronga”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Birthday @Taronga”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Great concert at the zoo, room spacious and quiet, however bathrooms need an revamp.cracked tiles and peeling paint.The volume of guests who all desended into the bar before the bus left had an overwhelming effect on the only 2 staff expected to deal with the rush.I felt heartly sorry for these two guys.They handled it so well. Maybe in future the staffing levels could be increased to deal with all the concert folks. Overall good spot to base yourself if going to the twighlight concert series.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Good Morning Trish,

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your recent stay at Rydges North Sydney.

I was so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and got to experience the Twilight at Taronga Package. Each year we have an overwhelming demand for this package and I do hope you get in early to book again for next year.

I have passed on your concerns to the Food & Beverage Manager in relation to your comments of the staffing levels in the Bar.

Once again thank you for your positive feedback and i look forward to welcoming you back soon.

+61 2 9922 1311

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've stayed at Rydges between 17th and 20th of March, and was given a room on top floor (12th). It all started with a bumpy ride to my room in what appears to be a lift from hell.
Hot water pressure in the room was so bad that it was dripping din the afternoon and completely stopped in evenings and mornings when , I assume, other rooms used shower as well. I was literally without hot water in the shower for 4 days. Internet connection stopped working on the second day and it wasn't fixed by the time of my departure. TV in the room felt like it was from the 90s with the poor selection of channels and appalling quality. There was also an unreasonably high charge on my credit card for incidentals ($200+). The décor was dated and bed was showing signs of millage.

Like I said in my title, location is the only upside of this hotel and I personally wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hello Mr Rakus,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Rydges North Sydney.

I was disappointed to hear that there were numerous factors which caused dissatisfaction throughout your stay. As with an older style hotel there are areas for improvement and we are in the process of looking into refurbishment.

I do appreciate your feedback and have addressed your concerns with Senior Management.

If you do decide to stay with us again i would appreciate if you could contact me directly.

Travellers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in a harbor view room on level 12. Good views. Room ok but decor and bathroom was tired and the whole floor would benefit from a refurbishment. Great bed (I like Rydges for that reason). Shower pressure very low -difficult to get wet! Good resturant - different Spanish themed menu. Very good breakfast. Reception staff very friendly and helpfully.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed both the service of the Reception team and your experience while dinning in Mundo Latin Grill & Tapas Bar.

I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with the facilities of the room. Whilst we are aware the Bathrooms are dated we as a team do all possible to keep the rooms to a high of standard as possible.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again here at Rydges North Sydney and if you have any further comments or concerns with your recent stay with us please do not hesitate to contact me.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very nice to stay in. The bed is comfortable. It is close to public transport. Check in was very fast as my partner and I had drove down from Brisbane. It is self parking. The amount we paid for parking is the same as what I pay at south bank, down fall is that it is self parking. But on the up side it is good because you know where you've parked the car, but also in saying that there is more chance of getting it damaged pas anybody can park next to you. Otherwise everything is really nice. We got upgraded to another room, and got to choose which room we wanted, at no extra close.
When we checked out, the lady looked very unprofessional, I understand she is on the grave yard shift, but still no need to look like she just got out of bed.
Otherwise everything was perfect. Would defiantly stay again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Rydges North Sydney for 3 nights and were well and truly impressed by the room, facilities and service that we received from all the staff members we encountered.

Our spacious room on the 14th floor had a fantastic view from the balcony and the room itself was well appointed with some particularly attractive artwork of the local Sydney area.

Breakfast in the morning was phenomenal! What a great selection of food. It was the best hotel breakfast I have had in Australia! You should be very proud of that!

The front desk staff were always very friendly and willing to help with the few requests we had during our stay. Will definitely be choosing to stay here again, next time I am in Sydney!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I don't normally write reviews but to help others I am in this case.
After arriving on foot from North Sydney station into Mcclaren st we had some difficulty finding the front entrance of the hotel as it's set back off the road and is obviously designed for cars only...
Once we found the entrance, walking up the driveway we joked that the building could be at home in Soviet era East Germany. The side of the building facing the best part of Sydney Harbour has NO windows!
The reception staff were friendly and all went well.... Until we arrived at our room and found that it was not a twin room as we had ordered, but a single King. We returned to the reception and told them what happened. They said they would arrange for housekeeping to correct and gave us a card to go the bar to wait for our room to be made up. Not really what we wanted after a long flight and train trip.
The bar staff is where things started really going wrong... After a very long wait for someone to turn up we were promptly told us one drink per card. Even though we had two people in the room....not a great way to treat customers that are already being inconvenienced.
Eventually we got to our room in the correct configuration.
First impressions were not good. The air conditioning was off and the room was hot and stuffy with a musty smell. The rooms decor was very old and tatty.
Upon turning the air conditioner on we were shocked how loud it was! Even on the lowest setting.
Worse, the Air con was full of dust and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in decades.
Time for a shower to freshen up.... But the shower head was broken and wouldnt stay up on its own....very hard to have proper shower with only one free hand.... The bathroom was very poorly ventilated. The only reading material in the room was a copy of "Trade-a-Boat"... What the? Our supposed "Park View" room overlooked an old apartment block, no park in sight....Not long after arrival we just wanted to get out of the very depressing room.
Upon leaving the room we had a 10 minute wait for the lift... Eventually we got into the service elevator with some trays to get back down....
I could go on... We cancelled our 2nd night and moved to a far better hotel for a lot less.
Rydges should be ASHAMED to run an establishment like this allowing it to decay to this level. I had a similar experience at Rydges Caloundra so no more Rydges hotels for me.
I feel for their staff who tried their best in difficult circumstances.
This is a 2 1/2 star hotel at 4 star prices. I do not recommend it at all. Avoid until Rydges spend some capital on this hotel. Terrible.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bigsook
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, it is important for us to hear the good and bad experiences our guests have so we can look to see what we can improve on and where we are most strong.

Our whole team was disheartened to read that your stay was not what you expected and from behalf of the General Manager Rhys and the whole team we would like to apologise for the disappointment we have caused you.

I could address all of the areas that we need to improve on but I won’t waste your time and just say that it is awful we let you down and I assure you that this feedback has not been taken lightly. We work in an industry where our guests come first and It was great to see that despite the mishaps our staff tried to best help you where they could.

I value the time you have taken to bring this information to our attention and hope that you if we have an opportunity to make your next Rydges stay better you will contact me directly

Kindest Regards

Katie Dewar
Front Office Manager, Rydges North Sydney
02 9922 1311
katie_dewar@rydges.com
Maitland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

My mother and I stayed two nights here recently and were happy with the cleanliness, comfortable beds and great location. We went to twilight at Taronga nearby which was great. Our view from the 12th floor was lovely and the room was very quiet. Staff were also very pleasant.

We did however struggle to shower both nights, and even tried early morning and middle of the day. It took over 20 minutes to get hot water and even then it was intermittent.
No water pressure also made showering difficult and unpleasant. With all the positives of this place, we wouldn't go back because being able to shower is a basic need at a hotel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank APar31
Hi Amie,

Thank you for taking the time to review.

It is such a shame that your stay was impacted by no hot water. This is an issue that has been addressed with maintenance and our General manager so we hope that we can keep an eye on it so it doesn't affect someone else - safe to say we haven't had another report of it so fingers crossed.

Glad that you enjoyed our taronga package though we really enjoy the vibe it brings to the hotel and hope you will come next year too.

Thanks again

InterContinental Sydney
InterContinental Sydney
#24 of 174 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,143 reviews

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!