“Couldn't wait to leave! ” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges North Sydney

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Sydney
“Couldn't wait to leave! ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

On the upside - wifi, shower pressure and the lifts were all great, contrary to some other reviews on this site. We were in a 1 bdrm suite on level 1 with our young family, and the space was functional enough but this hotel is 3 star at best - not 4 star. On the downside (and there are many), our bathroom sink constantly leaked all over the floor, our balcony had crumbling plaster and was frankly unsafe, our fridge had water dripping inside it, the carpet was pulling away at the edges, there was a large open crack in the bedroom by the window filled with cobwebs and dirt, and the whole suite was completely rundown and unclean. Our "parkview" outlook was in fact the brick wall and rubbish area for the neighboring school, but the rooms on the higher levels might be better. The walkway to the hotel is shared with traffic so can be a bit unnerving with the pram. The staff were fairly helpful, but I needed to proactively ring housekeeping every day to ask for our room to be serviced. We also had a staff member walk into our suite without knocking at one point to check the minibar, which resulted in both of our children waking from their afternoon naps as they were sleeping in that main room. We used Qantas airpoints to stay here (possibly why we were given such a terrible room) but feel the hotel has missed an opportunity to impress us as frequent travelers. We definitely won't be back.

Stayed April 2014
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hello KiwiChic,

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney.

I was sorry to hear that there were so many factors contributing to your unsatisfactory stay with us. Whilst the rooms do require a refurbishment both the Maintenance and Housekeeping teams work tirelessly at keeping the rooms to a high of standard as possible.

I have shared your comments/concerns with the Executive team and we would like to apologise for your less than perfect experience whilst staying with us.

If you would like to contact me directly to discuss your review in greater detail it would be much appreciated.

patrick_laybutt@rydges.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We had stayed at the Rydges North Sydney previously and it was always an "older hotel" compared with other Rydges Hotels but the room cost reflected that and was appropriate for the standard of the room. Now the room costs have increased considerably and are no longer value for money, if it wasn't for the fact that I had a meeting on the north shore and also misguided information which suggested the hotel had been renovated I would have stayed at the Rydges World Square for much less and in a much better quality room. The room we had was very dated and in need of refurbishment if they want to charge those room costs. The bathroom had a cracked basin, not a small crack but one that went all the way from one side down to the plug hole, not hygienic!! What was on offer for breakfast was reasonably extensive but all the "hot" food was stone cold, therefore not appetising at all, which is disappointing as Rydges breakfasts are usually good.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if they have any.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hello Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rydges North Sydney.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. The Guest Rooms do require refurbishment and this is something that we are currently in the process of rectifying.

I was quite shocked to hear your feedback in relation to breakfast, At Rydges North Sydney we are constantly receiving amazing comments for the quality of our buffet breakfast.

Once again i thank you for your review and if there is anything else i can do for you please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly.

Patrick_laybutt@rydges.com
Windsor, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

we recently stayed at the rydges hotel north Sydney and were absolutely knocked out with the amiable helpful staff, the more than adequate room and the world class breakfast buffet (power juices to start and great espresso coffee to finish)
we have travelled globally, extensively, and agreed, for the money, the rydges was almost unbeatable!

Room Tip: we had a park view room which was as quiet as a tomb.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pat L, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hello Garry,

Thank you for the positive feedback of your stay at Rydges North Sydney. Your personal five star rating for location, service, and staff is greatly appreciated.

I have shared your comments with my team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Lennox Head, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and I arrived early on a Sunday afternoon, which is probably not the best time to arrive as the only food available was at the bar. Having said that, the roll I had was tasty but expensive.
Our room was dark with the fashionable " subdued " lighting ie insufficient. The usual toileteries, a good bed but small TV.
The bathroom was tired with cracked tiles, rusty pipes and less than big fluffy towels, one of which was torn. When using the shower the water pressure was low and the temperature fluctuated.
As the restaurant was not open on a Sunday night we ate at the bar which was not a happy experience. The pizza we ordered was soggy in the middle but burnt around the edges and no effort was made to replace it when my wife pointed out its condition. I do wish the waiter had not kept referring to the " chef ". There is no chef on duty on a Sunday night and no qualified chef would send such poorly prepared food out of the kitchen. Any well run hotel would at least have offered some compensation in the form of a free dessert or drink but this was not done. The best trained staff are not rostered on duty on a Sunday night which is unfortunate, as the hotel's reputation is diminished by poorly trained staff.
I might add a woman at another table sent her pizza back twice as it ( they ) were also burnt.
I would certainly not stay there here as there are other reasonable hotels in North Sydney.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thankyou for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney

I was quite upset to learn of your experience whilst staying with us. The Guest bathrooms are quite dated and we are currently in the process of looking into refurbishment.

In relation to your experience whilst dinning in the Mundo Restaurant & Bar I have passed your concerns onto the Executive Chef & Food & Beverage Manager. I also ask if you could contact me directly to discuss in further detail.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to talking with you shortly.

Patrick_laybutt@rydges.com
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Great concert at the zoo, room spacious and quiet, however bathrooms need an revamp.cracked tiles and peeling paint.The volume of guests who all desended into the bar before the bus left had an overwhelming effect on the only 2 staff expected to deal with the rush.I felt heartly sorry for these two guys.They handled it so well. Maybe in future the staffing levels could be increased to deal with all the concert folks. Overall good spot to base yourself if going to the twighlight concert series.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Good Morning Trish,

Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your recent stay at Rydges North Sydney.

I was so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and got to experience the Twilight at Taronga Package. Each year we have an overwhelming demand for this package and I do hope you get in early to book again for next year.

I have passed on your concerns to the Food & Beverage Manager in relation to your comments of the staffing levels in the Bar.

Once again thank you for your positive feedback and i look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I've stayed at Rydges between 17th and 20th of March, and was given a room on top floor (12th). It all started with a bumpy ride to my room in what appears to be a lift from hell.
Hot water pressure in the room was so bad that it was dripping din the afternoon and completely stopped in evenings and mornings when , I assume, other rooms used shower as well. I was literally without hot water in the shower for 4 days. Internet connection stopped working on the second day and it wasn't fixed by the time of my departure. TV in the room felt like it was from the 90s with the poor selection of channels and appalling quality. There was also an unreasonably high charge on my credit card for incidentals ($200+). The décor was dated and bed was showing signs of millage.

Like I said in my title, location is the only upside of this hotel and I personally wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello Mr Rakus,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Rydges North Sydney.

I was disappointed to hear that there were numerous factors which caused dissatisfaction throughout your stay. As with an older style hotel there are areas for improvement and we are in the process of looking into refurbishment.

I do appreciate your feedback and have addressed your concerns with Senior Management.

If you do decide to stay with us again i would appreciate if you could contact me directly.

Travellers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night in a harbor view room on level 12. Good views. Room ok but decor and bathroom was tired and the whole floor would benefit from a refurbishment. Great bed (I like Rydges for that reason). Shower pressure very low -difficult to get wet! Good resturant - different Spanish themed menu. Very good breakfast. Reception staff very friendly and helpfully.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed both the service of the Reception team and your experience while dinning in Mundo Latin Grill & Tapas Bar.

I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with the facilities of the room. Whilst we are aware the Bathrooms are dated we as a team do all possible to keep the rooms to a high of standard as possible.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again here at Rydges North Sydney and if you have any further comments or concerns with your recent stay with us please do not hesitate to contact me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
The Grace Hotel Sydney
The Grace Hotel Sydney
#17 of 179 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,202 reviews

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!