“Comfortable although Tired with Dodgey Lift”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Comfortable although Tired with Dodgey Lift”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Let's face it the property needs a good facelift. Attempts have been made to put more modern furnishings in the room but when you have a bath with enamel worn through, no matter how well you clean it, it looks dirty. The rooms were clean and quiet though and the beds comfortable. I got stuck in the middle lift twice during my two day stay. A collegue was on floor 9 and I was on 5. It allowed us to go to level 9 but not 5, then took me down to Ground and the doors wouldn't open for a while. The next day it wouldn't let me go to any floor and I ended up walking down to the lobby.
I made reception aware of this and they already said they knew about the lift and that the building was old and needed work - probably not the response I was looking for.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello Bronwyn,

Thankyou for your recent feedback of your stay at Rydges North Sydney.

I am sorry to hear of the issues you experienced throughout your stay. The Lifts at our property are dated though i am pleased to advise that they will be replaced in the not too distant future.

I would appreciate if you could contact me directly to discuss your concerns in greater detail.

Patrick_laybutt@rydges.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I am placed in this hotel when I travel for business. I agree with the other reviews that the hotel definitely needs a bit of modernization, particularly the bathrooms. However the staff are friendly, the room is clean and the beds are comfy which are all I am looking for when travelling for work.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Brisbane_Catlady
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi Fluffy Bunny,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rydges North Sydney.

I am pleased to see that you are currently enjoying your time spent with us while travelling for work.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Spent a couple of days over the Easter Long Weekend at North Sydney Rydges. Booked the Easter Long Weekend package which included buffet breakfast, free parking and late checkout for a fairly reasonable price per night.

Buffet breakfast was great although a small range. Nothing overly exciting or special but it was a great way to start each morning and it was enjoyable for us both. The late check out time at 1pm was really great as it gave us time in the morning to relax and pack before heading off again. Nice inclusion in the package!

Parking in Sydney is generally a nightmare (what I have been told anyway) so we were very pleased free parking was included in the package. However, on the first night, after checking in a little later then going out to get some dinner, we arrived back to the hotel to find the carpark absolutely full. There was a whole section on the bottom level that was closed off which I assume are for people who work in businesses locally who can park there. We were forced to park on a side street outside for the night which we were not too thrilled about considering my partner's new car was brand new. As it is part of the package, we'd hope to be guaranteed a spot every day but sadly no. Get in early to secure a spot every night!

The room was nice and clean and the bed was very comfortable. Everything was as expected from a nice hotel room. The décor was a little outdated but not too much of a bother. Although there was a huge photo portrait of the Luna Park face taken in the night with the eyes lit up which was a bit scary to look at! Bathroom had a bath too which was great as it is such a luxury for me.

Overall, it was a comfortable stay for a couple of nights but nothing overly special. Would recommend for short stays for those who want to be away from the city but not too far.

Hello AusCantik,

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney.

I was happy to see that overall your enjoyed your stay with us. At Rydges we do have multiple levels for Guest parking & when selecting a Package inclusive of this option we do guarantee its availability. I am sorry that you felt it necessary to park on the street. If you had of discussed this with reception we would of had a solution for you.

Once again I thank you for your review and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

patrick_laybutt@rydges.com
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The breakfast and front office staff were amazing!

The rooms were really old and stuffy, they were small and REALLY outdated.
The bed was comfortable but apart from sleeping I didn't want to spend any time in the room, which was a shame I would have like to have a wine or two...

The bathroom was disgusting, the bath/shower was so small and the the shower was broken and fell apart while I was using it... I was really disappointed with the rooms

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hello Louise,

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney.

It was great to hear that you found the service of the staff and the quality of the Food & Beverage Outlets to be of such a high standard.

In relation to your accommodation concerns I have shared your feedback with the Maintenance team who have replaced the shower head in the bathroom. As you stayed in one of our standard room types I would recommend you try one of our suite's which i am sure you will find much more comfortable upon your return.

Once again thank you for your feedback and i hope to welcome you back soon.

patrick_laybutt@rydges.com
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at Rydges after being given vouchers as a present but we were so unhappy we moved out after one night and stayed remaining two nights at a different hotel.

The first port-a-cot mattress had a chunk (50c piece size) of dried poo/vomit.
The port-a-cot side collapsed if you burped, sneezed, or farted in the wrong direction (it actually collapsed while my wife was putting out child to sleep in it - not cool)
The glasses and surrounding cupboards were dirty
The outside of toilet door had dried unidentifiable white stains
The inside of toilet door had makeup on it
The bathroom had a black pubic hair on the tiles (at eye level)
The hairdryer had unidentifiable white gunk on it

The only positive was the bed. I had an amazing night sleep but even that was not enough to convince me to stay past the first night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ZiggyZac
Hello Zac,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rydges North Sydney.

I am sorry to see that despite our recent conversation you still felt it necessary to place such a negative review on trip advisor.

Having discussed all issues with you in great detail i hope this alleviated some of your concerns.

As discussed when you decide to return please feel free to contact me directly.

Travellers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My wife and I chose a weekend bed and breakfast package which was a great event since it rained, we visited the local market in North Sydney and drove to Manly, we like the quiet of North Sydney on weekends & Rydges is well placed in McLaren Street. Our concern is with the bathroom as it is dated and in need of some tile repairs, otherwise not bad, The beds are excellent and very comfortable.

Room Tip: I think either side is Ok for views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Pat L, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hi Ray,

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney.

I was glad to hear that we could turn your Wet Weekend into an enjoyable time while with us. In relations to your concerns regarding the tiredness of the bathrooms i am pleased to say that we are currently looking into refurbishment of these facilities.

Once again thank you for your king words and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Central Coast
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at Rydges North Sydney as we were attending a wedding just across the Harbour Bridge. The location was very easy to get to and nice and close to our destination. While the bathrooms are slightly dated you can tell the rooms have been recently renovated with very comfortable beds, lovely carpet and nice furnishings! It was a great stay and we were able to check in early to get ready for the wedding - I just put a request in my Wotif.com booking and followed up a few days beforehand to check that was ok. The staff were very friendly and parking onsite is also handy. Overall a very good hotel :)

Hello Chattabox,

Thank you for taking the time to review Rydges North Sydney.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and found both the service of the staff and the quality of the rooms to be of such a high standard.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
Harbourside Apartments
Harbourside Apartments
#1 of 1 in McMahons Point
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!