“this hotel puts the 'oor' in POOR.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges North Sydney

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Newcastle, Australia
“this hotel puts the 'oor' in POOR.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

This was the dirtiest hotel that I have ever stayed in! There were piles of dust EVERYWHERE. Carpet, needless to say was filthy!
No vaccuum was done for the entirety of our 3 day stay. Mould in the shower, mould in the fridge. Dirty cupboards and cutlery. Food in the room service tray that was well past it's USE-BY DATE..... Beds were not made. Blood stains on the covers, urine stains on the mattress protectors, and skid marks from our previous guests in the toilet........
I will take further action with this hotel, because it is THE MOST UNDESERVING 4 STAR ACCREDITATED HOTEL AROUND! There is absolutely no way I would ever recommend this hotel, and I will never again stay in a RYDGES chain hotel. DISGRACE.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank RAIDER81_10
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
Dear Raider81,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I was disappointed to read of the poor Housekeeping and hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the inadequate service. However, may I note that after discussing your review with the Front Office Manager she advises me that she met with you at the time of your stay and while “yes the room was not properly cleaned” your review is an exaggerated account of the problem. Further the Hotel offered to immediately rectify what was wrong and a complimentary return stay to make amends. This is not to excuse acknowledged shortcomings which have been discussed with the Housekeeper & staff concerned, we understand they were not acceptable.
I have today personally inspected the room in question and assure you that none of the issues you raise are evident today, although of course I plan to conduct daily inspections of selected of rooms to ensure standards are maintained.
Thank you for your interest, I hope that despite your experience we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges North Sydney and demonstrate that we are capable of much better.

Yours Sincerely

Jon Ackary
Jon_Ackary@rydges.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

Overall very good but the bathroom had dusty cobwebs in one corner that were never removed during our stay and although the staff were friendly and apologetic for the delay, there were long delays when we asked for towels.
We stayed two nights.

On the first night we arrived hungry and tired after a long drive, so we called for room service. After a delay of about 45 minutes, we called to see what happened to our order and found out that the restaurant had lost the order. After we called to see what had happened to our order, the staff member was very apologetic and, because the restaurant was closed, offered us two free pizzas. We also had to follow these up because they took so long to arrive. By the time we called to follow up the pizzas, we had been waiting almost two hours. When the pizzas arrived, they were cold and the staff member that delivered them must not have been told they were free because they tried to charge us. Not a good start.

On our first morning we were woken up and disturbed for a long time by persistent tapping that I thought was coming from the room next door. After enduring the noise for almost an hour, I called reception who told me there was no maintenance causing the noise, asked me which side of our room the noise was coming from but no one seemed to check out the noise and the noise continued. It was only later that day that the reception desk mentioned that there was carpet being laid elsewhere in the hotel and that was the source of the noise. Perhaps schedule work of that kind for later in the day (not before 8am) so guests aren't woken and disturbed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Louisea4
I am sorry to hear about the start of your stay at Rydges North Sydney. It is unfortunate and out of the ordinary to wait over 2 hours for room service. Please be assured I have forwarded on your comments to the food and beverage department to avoid this from happening again.
In regards to maintenance, it is a hard to conduct this at the right time, as the hotel is never empty. It is unfortunate and unlucky that this was taking place right next door to your room. On behalf of Rydges North Sydney I apologise for the inconvenience it may have caused.
Thank you so much for your valued feedback. I do hope you stay at Rydges North Sydney once again, where I am sure you will have a more positive experience.
Tweed Heads, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Very musty in the room bathroom a bit dirty felt like we were in the70s breakfast buffet was good handy location cant understand why 1 night is $250 then $180 then $149??? very small room,not sure if i would stay there again.good location.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
I appreciate your feedback. It is unfortunate your bathroom was musty, and dirty. Under no circumstance should this be the case. Please be assured your comments have been passed through to housekeeping to ensure this does not occur to future in-house guests.
In regards to rates, rates are subject to demand in the local area when the demand is higher or lower the rate does fluctuate accordingly.
I do agree that Rydges North Sydney is located in a convenient location, nestled away in the heart of North Sydney. I do hope your experience with the bathrooms has not put you off Rydges North Sydney as we would like the opportunity to welcome you into our hotel once again.

Travellers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

Hi

I am not sure where it is appropriate to write in here. This is not a review so I will apologize in advance. However, as I am reading the other reviews I noticed that the hotel managment are monitoring this. So I am seeking help t o clarify some issues before deciding to book with this hotel.

I am have looked into the website and cannot ascertain much info.

I am planning to book the christmas period. My questions are:

1. The one bedroom parkview: what is the bed configuration?
- As I will be travelling with my husband and also my cousin
- Is there privacy between sleeping arrangement?
- I take it that the bedroom has a door and the 3rd person will be on the sofa bed, is the sofabed comfortable?
- As it is my cousin's first time in Australia, I do not want him to be on an uncomfortable bed, if it mean I will need to book 2 rooms I will consider this. But the price is quite reasonable. So please advise.

2. How far away is public transport? As we won't be renting a car, need t be near public train station so we can access the tourist attractions.

3. To and from the airport? What is the best way to get to the hotel.

Thanks for your help. I apologise again as this is not a review. But I thought those who have stayed here can help me decide whether to book this hotel.

cheers

Stayed September 2010
RydgesNS, Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thank you for your enquiry into the Rydges Hotel.
In regards to sleeping arrangements it is best to call the hotel directly on 02 9922 1311 or email reservations_northsydney@rydges.com.
In regards to transportation Rydges is located about a 10min walk from North Sydney train station (which ensures a quiet night sleep) and a two minute walk from buses which go directly into the CBD and other prime locations.
The best way to get to the hotel from the airport is a cab which should not cost more than $50. Or alternatively there is a train which runs from the airport to North Sydney.
Again, I do recommend contacting the hotel directly, as we are more than happy to help you out on your travel arrangements.
melbourne victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

Rydges North Sydney is in a wonderful location & suited my needs perfectly. I stayed for nine days. The staff were very friendly and helpful, always asking if there was anything I required. The Manager (Chris?) upgraded me to a wonderful suite with a view over the Harbour on one side and a balcony on another. The extra $15 per day for their car park made my stay run extra smoothly. I and friends sampled the bar, the restaurant, as well as room service. It really was a home away from home while I attended a wedding, had a son in hospital and so on. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
Dear Broadford_10
Thank you for your positive feedback. I am pleased to hear that you were happy with the Rydges Hotel, North Sydney and the overall service you received. I am glad you got upgraded into a harbour view suit where the view is truly magnificent, especially when the sun sets over the city of Sydney. I am glad you had time to experience Mundo Bar; the cocktails there are truly mouth-watering. I hope you enjoyed ordering off the Apple iPad. Thank you very much for the recommendation of Rydges Hotel North Sydney. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

We recently had two nights, three days at Rydges and we could not fault our stay. We had a harbour view room and although the rooms were a little dated it did in no way mar our stay and I really do think some people who write a review must go into a room where they stay for the sole purpose of finding faults. We ate out each night not because of the hotel's restaurant but because within close proximity there were a range of restaurants and pubs. We did however have the full buffet breakfast each morning and it was exceptional. The CBD is just a short 5 min train trip across the bridge or you can do what we did and enjoy the sunshine on a walk across. The beds were extremely comfortable and the hotel itself and the surrounding streets were very, very quiet (unlike most hotels in the CBD which charge 3 times the price) I know we will be looking for a reason to return, maybe a Taronga Zoo visit next time.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 1 September 2010
Dear werridaddio,

Thank you for such a positive review on your visit to Rydges North Sydney. It is so pleasing to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay.

I’m happy to read that you were comfortable in your room, and that you were able to experience the Dream Beds.

Also that the Buffet Breakfast was to such an exceptional standard for you, and I do hope that you will return in the future, and maybe even have a meal with us.

We would love to welcome you back again.
Faringdon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

I stayed here for three nights on a quick trip from the UK, I got a last min deal but I thought the hotel was great value, great service, good breakfast, excellent room service and nice bar staff. The room was good but the bathroom was tired. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Dear chuklumba,

I would like to thank you for leaving a review for Rydges North Sydney.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and that we could accommodate you with your “last minute deal”.

It’s great to hear that great service and great food are continually being delivered and that it is not going unnoticed.

I’m disappointed that you found the bathroom to be tired; however I do hope that the room was comfortable for you.

We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
The Grace Hotel Sydney
The Grace Hotel Sydney
#17 of 179 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,197 reviews

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!