“A delightful experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Geneva, Switzerland
“A delightful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I spent nearly a month in the McLaren in January/February this year and was delighted with it. Since my visit was split, I had two rooms each of which was large, light and comfortable with its own verandah to sit out on. The personnel and staff of the hotel were always friendly, obliging and helpful and the atmosphere more like spending time in a gracious old house than in an anonymous hotel. I would go there again any time and have already recommended it to two friends. Thanks to Owen and team for looking after me so well.

Room Tip: I was in rooms 16 and 18 on the ground floor. Those and the rooms around them seemed particularly co...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Frances F
pacrim, Manager at McLaren Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Frances, What a pleasure it was having you stay with us. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, and we thank you for the very positive review.

Kind Regards
Billy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

So glad that we stayed at the McLaren Hotel in North Sydney. It was easy to find driving in on Pacific Highway, has limited free parking, and is one of the most charming hotels we have stayed in. The greeting at Reception was friendly and then we were shown to our room, which was spacious and comfortable. There's not a lot of space for toiletries around the sink, but that is its only shortcoming. The shower was good, the bed comfortable, and access to a small garden terrace was a bonus. We enjoyed relaxing in the common living room and on the patio near the dining room during our stay. The staff were all efficient, very friendly, and very knowledgable about the surrounding area (restaurants, bottle shops, etc.) It really was like staying at a friend's home. The continental breakfast was $8 each and very adequate to start our day--a much more reasonable offering than most hotel buffet breakfasts in Sydney which can be 5 times this price. We were delighted to find this gem and look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Our room was #12 on the ground floor. Nice to not have to carry luggage up the stairs as there is n...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
pacrim, Manager at McLaren Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for the very kind words. We are pleased to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Far North Coast NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at the McLaren Hotel on the 7th & 8th Feb 2014 whilst in Sydney for a wedding. What a nice little Hotel. We were greeted by Owen who showed us to our room and made sure we were comfortable, he also gave us some great tips on taxi's and the Twilight Market held across the road every Friday night during summer, a great place to grab some exotic (or normal) food, sit on the grass, chill and listen to the music.
We only stayed 2 nights but I'd seriously consider staying here again. It's a five minute taxi ride from North Sydney train station, close to a pub or two and restaurants and the staff were very helpful. I was pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: We booked the Junior room, only because our daughter came with us and we needed a room with a single...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tkf-oz
pacrim, Manager at McLaren Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for the positive review. Glad you had a chance to see the twilight markets and some of the surrounding area. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dubbo, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

On arrival greeted by an offer to share a complementary sherry or port in the ground floor lounge. The gentleman who greeted me was affable and informed me breakfast served from 7.15am, however given I needed to be out of the hotel and on my way by 7.00am this was a problem. My room was up a steep staircase and there is no lift. I was unable to carry my bag up the staircase however the gentleman kindly assisted. Bit of a problem though the next morning as I couldn't get the bag down the stairs and as no one around until 7.15am I had to shove the bag down. My room was quite typical of such style hotels. Faded at the seams. I had problems with the small bathroom as there was very little room to negotiate getting into the shower. My biggest problem however was the faeces that was in the toilet when I arrived. Not pleasant to find the previous guest's deposits remaining in the toilet. Things got worse (if possible). The kettle and mugs were very marked and I could not bring myself to use them. Although large and in appearance inviting the bed was the worst hotel bed I have ever experienced. I folded the available bedcovers and doona in half and lay on them on the floor and was more comfortable. My room was at the back of the hotel - there is currently a construction site at the rear of the hotel. I was advised that the workers would not start work until after 7am. They were onsite talking and ready to go at 6.30am. Not a problem for me as I was up but should be noted if you are a late riser.
I am afraid I could not recommend this hotel for any reason especially given the availability of other hotels located within a short walk.

Room Tip: Not at the back given construction site and car park.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
pacrim, Manager at McLaren Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our property. As this is quite unique in the sense that it is not a favourable review, we will certainly take this opportunity to rectify the shortcomings experienced during your stay.
With regards to the stairs being an inconvenience and the absence of a lift , we are a national trust protected building and as such, we are limited in what modifications we are able to accomplish. That said, it should be pointed out that we are talking about ONE set of 14 steps at the normal stair gradient of about 45%. The hotel only has the one extra floor - so the inclusion of a lift would be impracticable. The stairs make up some of the old world charm many guests have experienced whilst staying here and we wouldn't change it given the opportunity. We are more than happy to give you a hand with your luggage on check-out, as we did when you first checked in. Simply dial 9 from your room phone, we are on-site from 7am.

What you discovered in the bathroom is unacceptable. We have spoken to our house keeping staff to find out why the en-suite was not cleaned properly. In the twenty five years of operation we have never had a complaint about the toilets not being clean. So, if this event occurred it would have been an extraordinary lapse on the part of our housekeeping staff. Needless to say they are bemused and very upset.

Moving forward to the other issues experienced during your stay, you have mentioned the kettle and mugs were marked, the bed was uncomfortable and you were located near construction noise. Whilst we make an effort to keep an eye on hotel room equipment we can miss things and as a rule will get immediate feedback from a customer if something is not satisfactory. A replacement kettle would have taken the hotel 2 minutes to fix. With respect to the construction noise - we will notify Monte S'Angelo school that 7AM is the earliest we would expect any activity. The fact that you were unhappy with the bed - we cannot fix. These are high grade Sealy beds and we use them for no longer than 7 years. We have had the occasional comment that they are a bit hard and as a result put $200 feather-down mattress covers beneath the mattress protectors. The result has been a continuous flow of positive feed back on the quality of the beds and the sleep achieved. So we make no apology for that.

To conclude, we are very disappointed that at no time did you bring any of this to the attention of the hotel staff as they would have been able to assist you on a number of levels. You have access to a staff member 24/7.
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed here because I had some business nearby, and the hotel had free parking. The front part of the hotel is an old large house. The room was large and the bed very comfortable. The outlook was to a wall of a next door house. The hotel is in a business area, and arriving on a Sunday meant that a long walk did not turn up any place to eat - a drive was necessary. The manager on check-in was a little abrupt, but the manager the following day was friendly and very helpful.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed in the McLaren Hotel over the new year period and found it excellent value for money! Whilst the hotel appears a little dated, the staff were great and my room was more than adequate. The air con was great, shower was powerful and the bed was huge and very comfortable. I had a great nights sleep every night! Absolutely no complaints there.

The hotel is a 10 minute walk away from North Sydney train station, or you can get the bus easily if you don't fancy the walk. A very short train ride and you're in the centre! There are plenty of eateries close by for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The area also felt very safe, coming from a female who travelled alone!

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Sydney and will be back if I ever visit the city again!

Room Tip: I had a deluxe room on the first floor which was lovely and huge, but there is no lift so beware if...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I have just spent a week at the McLaren Hotel whilst doing a very intensive course in North Sydney, I found the hotel absolutely charming and comfortable. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. My room had a king size bed with a small terrace so I could sit outside, it was clean and very comfortable also where it is in North Sydney you are away from the hustle and bustle of North Sydney but only a 5 minute walk into the centre of North Sydney so you have the best of both worlds.
I would highly recommend the McLaren Hotel.

Room Tip: The deluxe king room with the terrace are very roomy and quiet.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Glenferrie Lodge
Glenferrie Lodge
#1 of 3 in Kirribilli

Been to McLaren Hotel? Share your experiences!