Baros Maldives
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Angsana Ihuru(Ihuru Island)
  • Breakfast included
Grand Park Kodhipparu, Maldives(Kodhipparu Island)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Giravaru Resort(Giraavaru Island)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Huvafen Fushi Maldives(Huvafen Fushi Island)
Kurumba Maldives(Vihamanafushi)
  • Pool
2,367 results
All reviewslighthouse restaurantvilla hostlime restaurantwater villaour honeymoonfishdeluxe villalobster bisquedive centrereef sharkssmall islandhalf boardindian oceanoutdoor showerthe resort managerother resortsmale airport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed on Baros for 5 days at the end of October and had a fantastic time. Previous reviews have pretty much covered all there is to say so I won't repeat all the good things that have been mentioned already. We have absolutely nothing negative to say about the island - everything was organised exceptionally well.
Just to highlight a few things: it was my husband's 40th birthday on the day we arrived (we stayed at Anantara Kihavah for the first 5 days of our holiday), and Viktoria from guest services called straight away to offer arranging for a cake for dinner - thanks again for the delicious chocolate cake.
Both our room boy and island host were fantastic - the villa was cleaned twice daily and was spotless.
We stayed in one of the new pool water villas - well worth the extra cost. Food in all restaurants was great.
Management is very visible on the island - and in a good way. The general manager Shuhan is very hands-on and always around to have a chat, same for the front office manager. It makes a difference to be asked if everything is fine, or to have to hunt someone down if you have a question.
One aspect that I would like to point out in particular - the snorkelling on the house reef is amazing. We have been fortunate enough to have visited a number of islands in the past, and the house reef on Baros is by far the best. We snorkelled twice a day and saw lots of turtles, doctor fish, a baby Napoleon, white tip and black tip reef sharks (especially black tips which was amazing as there are quite a few around), nemos as well as lobsters, stingrays, box fish and pufferfish. The variety of corals is great as well - a lot more colourful then we expected. On a snorkelling trip we also saw a sleeping nurse shark. If you love to snorkel - this is the island for you.
As Baros is only a 20 min boat trip away from the airport, another huge plus is that you can actually enjoy the last day of your holiday. If you have to take a seaplane, the day is usually wasted as you end up at the airport at least 3 hours before your international flight - in our case we were still under water saying good buy to the fantastic house reef.

Overall - we can thoroughly recommend Baros - it is a very special place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kurumba77
Shuhan A, Resort Manager at Baros Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Kurumba77

I have shared your wonderful words with all my team, thank you so much for such a detailed and great review.

This year is the 40th anniversary of Baros too so it was great to have you celebrate with us!
Especially Viktoria, Nahid( your Villa Host) and Qadir ( your Room Attendant) were thrilled to hear you remember them.

Everyone here from Nemos to our Baros Family members look forward to having you both back again!

In true Maldivian fashion we say "Shukuriyya"

Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I honeymooned here and loved everything about it. The island is beautiful. The villas are wonderful - lots of hi-tech toys if you want them but above all relaxed, clean, homely, spacious and with a walk straight onto the beach. Dinner on the beach and the boar ride amazing special treats. A superfun band night. Lovely food and staff. Options to cater for relaxed dinner of chicken wings in the room through to cocktails and great food in the restaurant over the water. it was brilliant and we want to go back. My only request would be that the breakfast buffet should put on the delicious lentil dhaal every day rather than rarely!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patrick_the_Wise

Dear Patrick_the_Wise,

Thank you for choosing Baros Maldives for your honeymoon destination.

We are honored and happy that you have had a great time on our small island! We truly hope to have you back for some unique memories again maybe for your anniversary

Best wishes from all of the Baros family,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Baros Maldives is a 25-minute speedboat ride from Male International Airport. Fine restaurants and private dining featuring international dishes are available at the resort.

Spacious villas open out to a private veranda with sun loungers and stunning ocean views. Fitted with an espresso machine, in-villa entertainment include a flat-screen TV and iPod dock.
Surrounded by the clear waters of the Indian Ocean, Baros Maldives offers award-winning luxury accommodation with home entertainment systems and private gardens. It offers 5-star fitness facilities and a spa.

Rooms are big and clean with all amenities, but the price is too high for what you get. A bottle of south african wine from the mini bar is 65 dollars and we ordered from room service gnoquis pesto and it was mostly green oil with floating gnoquis with 3 very thin slices of parmesan cheese of half a finger long.

We stayed there for 3 days and it was quite good and relaxing. The food at the grill restaurant is quite nice but the Lighthouse is overpriced (excellent romantic atmosphere but okay food only). The hotel can improve on the interior design of the villas, the water villas at Cocoa Island are designed much better.

Overall our experience at Baros was superb. Our only criticism was that some of the male staff in the all day outdoor restaurant could improve their attitude and attentiveness to guests and the fins in the dive centre were uncomfortable resulting in blisters.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mahima01

Dear Mahima01,

Sunny greetings from Baros Maldives

It is our great pleasure to read your review and we have of course read carefully your comments as we take all our guests comments into consideration and take actions should there be something that needs to be improved.

We wish you all the best from our small piece of paradise.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a ten day stay at Baros and we are both wishing we could have stayed longer. All the past reviews that tell of great customer service and wonderful food are complete right, it is one of the best resorts I have stayed at.
We split our stay into two halves and stayed in a beach villa (104) for five days and then the remaining days in a water villa (307). I'll start with the beach villa.. We went with just the non pool villa as we though why would you need a pool when you have crystal clear, warm ocean just feet away? The interior was fantastic and very modern and seemingly brand new. Plenty of room and never once did we feel we needed more space. The out side bathroom a great feature and have already tried to work out how I can have one at home, even though we live in England and are lucky to get two sunny days a year! Our villa was only a very short walk from the bars and restaurants, but this doesn't mean we could hear them from our room at night or anytime.
The water villa again was fantastic. It felt slightly smaller in side than the beach villa but not so it caused a problem. The decking outside was very spacious with two sun loungers, a large sun sofa I guess you could call it and a table and two chairs. We still had room to move about easily. There is a door off the deck directly into the shower room which is a great idea and we used it often when coming back from a swim, even though there is a shower head right by the steps up from the sea to your deck.
If I had to choose between the rooms I think I would go for the beach villa over the water villa, for a couple of reasons, 1, the reef was only a few yards from the beach villa, where as the water villa's had next to no reef around them and you either had to swim a fair way or walk to the beach then swim from there. 2, our water villa seemed a little tired, with a few rotten planks on the decking and a few water sodden/rotten wood floor panels in our bathroom right by the shower ( nothing that would warrant us asking for a change of room, I might add) so when you add in the additional cost of the water villa over the beach villa, it would be a no brainer, for us anyway.
The restaurants are all great, but the stand out by far the best is the Light House. We ate in here most nights and had our evening cocktail every night upstairs in the bar. The food was beyond words and worth every penny it cost. I have paid more for a meal in England than I did here and the food wasn't as good. The waiters were all fantastic and very attentive but in no way intrusive.
The dive shop and its staff is one of the best I have visited. The staff are all friendly and funny and looked after me on my dives and my wife and I when we went on the snorkelling trip. I didn't end up seeing any Manta rays...(the other group did how ever) but we did see lots of turtles, moray eels and countless sharks and other fish.
So in closing I'd like to thank all the staff at Baros, for the most relaxing and enjoyable holiday we have both had in years. We will definitely be back and hope that it won't be too longer gap. To anyone thinking of heading to Maldives, you couldn't do much better than Baros.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank n0rf0lk_lad

Dear n0rf0lk_lad,

Thank you for this great review and for taking the time to write about us. I was particularly happy to read about your plans to get an outdoor shower like the ones we have here.

We agree with you that the Lighthouse Restaurant is a very romantic experience and are happy you enjoyed it. I have shared your review with all of my team and everyone send their warmest greetings!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Everything has been thought through in detail. One of the original hotels at the start of the development of the Maldives as a tourist destination Baros is located a mere 20 minutes by speedboat from the airport.

We had a Baros villa which was very luxurious. Not only was there an indoor sitting area but also one outside which was sheltered. If this was not enough then two deck chairs were on the beach with a shelter. This gave the delightful impression of owning a slice of the beach abutting the Indian Ocean. Despite the small size of the island (10 minutes to walk around) there was no sensation of being overlooked. Landscaping is exemplary and the beaches etc are swept clean of leaves each morning!

Food choices are overwhelming. There are a number of venues. If one is on a half-board package then it may be applied at the Lime restaurant. In addition there are other restaurants which may offer other choices such as barbecue night (Cayenne) or even more romantic (lighthouse). Half board means a discount of 40% on the food. Breakfast is great with fresh fruit prepared to order.

If the activities in the island pall then there is the opportunity to go the capital, Male. The days passed too quickly.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SueKot

Dear Sue Kot,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about us. We are indeed celebrating our 40th anniversary this year, to be exact on the 3rd of December. We were the third resort to open in the Maldives. I am happy you liked the culinary experiences and wish to see you again soon!

Shukkuriya,