“Outstanding personal service,superb location,food excellent.”
Review of Baros Maldives

Baros Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baros Island
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay ,the staff were warm and helpful ,the house reef was nearby and teemed with all manner of fish,sharks ,rays and turtles.
Nobody bothered you to go on trips ,to buy this or have this massage but were there immediately if you wished.
We went half board which I think was great value and gave flexibility .The Light house restaurant has a truly great chef .Some contributers mentioned the wine prices but I think that the Margaret River Cab Sauvignon ,which I use as a benchmark, was 25% more than the equivalent restaurant in a major capital city.and therefore fair value as you are in such an idylic locationand far from the sources of supply.
This was a very chilled and laidback island, no private jet folk here,and the better for it.No "chavs " with loud voicesand large hooped earings and the better for it.
We will go back in the new year ,which is breaking one of my rules but I will risk it.

1  Thank jrrc

Reviewed 4 November 2010

We have just returned from Baros after the most fantastic week, having spent the 1st week at Meeru. We knew that Baros would be a very good resort, but in actual fact it is outstanding. I specifically booked Baros after the reviews we read and we were not disappointed.
My husband jaw dropped when he saw the room it was beautiful, the attention to detail in the room was most surprising and the service we received comparably to that of Claridges or the Ritz on a perfect desert island. All rooms have complimentary Wi-Fi which is great for Iphone lovers.
We were treated to a complimentary champagne breafast and cake delivered to our room for our Anniverary, the breakfast was magnificent and after I bumped my head on a tree just outside our bungalow we were upgraded to a pool villa, this was even more jaw dropping. We now had a huge deck and plungepool with upgraded room features. If you can afford it book it - room 216.
We were very sad to leave, having spent the week eating fabulous food, enjoying cocktails in the lighthouse restaurnt, snorkelling at the house reef, just 30m from the beach( here we saw a turtle and several reef sharks measuring aorund 1.5m, a little scary but harmless). On leaving we received some very nice extra touches, including a hand written thank you letter for staying and two hancrafted wooden turtles.
I cannot fault Baros in any way and if you want a relaxing holiday in a fantastic setting this is the place.

2  Thank traceyb20
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Baros is simply amazing - We had a wonderful 5 days in a Water Villa - amazing experience, great weather, wonderful hotel staff that made us feel very welcome, small and cosy island (I think 10 minutes to walk the island!).
The place is spectacular!

Credit to the hotel managment and staff!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisNic
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We stayed in a Water Villa on Baros, a very small and very luxurious island. There were many honeymooners - and I completely understand why: Baros is pure romance!!!
Our Water Villa was simply stunning, very spaceous, beautiful minimalistic design with Maldivian accents, superb bathroom (with view on the ocean from the bath tub!), ipod docking station, flat screen...
The house reef is excellent for snorkeling, and the diving team and the resident marine biologist are really helpful and show the best spots. The spa is all new and very stylish and offers wonderful treatments.
And the food on Baros is incredible! Wonderful breakfast with all exotic fruit you dream of, freshly made egg specialties, salads, cereals.. and even champagne! We had dinner in the main restaurant Lime which was wonderful - and in the fine dining restaurant The Lighthouse. The food there is amazing!!! You wouldn't imagine such a restaurant on the Maldives... Also the wine selection is excellent - so the island is absolutely recommendable for wine & food lovers :-)
But what impressed us the most was the service: the best service we ever experienced! Extremely helpful and friendly staff which make everything happen without being "too much".

1  Thank shaboon
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Five star in every sense.
From my initial email request for a specific water villa (based on reviews here) which we got, to the moment that we were escorted to the departure desk by one of the Baros Staff, everything about this resort is 5 stars.
You are greeted on the island with an ice cold towel and a glass of fizz and the service stays at this level throughout.
It's the little things they do so well. The nibbles left at turndown each night were a surprise. The complimentary canapes with your cocktails in The Lighthouse bar were excellent (as were the cocktails!) and the Wednesday Evening "Cocktail" hour where you could meet fellow travellers and members of staff is a must (seek out Rein if you can. He's the overall Manager of the Restaurants, Entertainment etc. We spent an interesting couple of hours with him and learnt much about the running of the island in terms of food, wine etc).
Our personal highlight was a Private Romantic Sunset Cruise - the sunset that night was stunning and the canapes and well chilled champagne just added to this never to be forgotten experience.
Yes it's expensive - but it's worth it!

2  Thank JPS_in_WGS
Reviewed 31 October 2010

From the moment you stepped on board their speed boat at Male it was first class all the way. We were greeted by name and given cold towels and drinks. At the reception they take credit card details when registering, although you can pay by travellers cheques. We did ask about tipping and they said that you can add a tip to the bill and any tip added in this way would go to the staff, which we found easier than carrying dollars around with us. After the formalities which were kept short we were shown to our villa which was beautiful to say the least.
The villas were equipped with espresso machine, kettle, fridge containing wines and champagne, another fridge with soft drinks, beers, cokes, nuts etc. They re-stocked the coffee pods and sachets twice a day and even left fresh fruit each morning. The room was luxurious in comfort and detail. The bathroom was huge, half set in an open courtyard with plants etc. An outside shower and indoor shower along with two wash basins and stand alone bath and toilet were the height of luxury. Towels could be changed each day if required otherwise every two days. Beach towels, flip flops, a beach bag, robe and slippers were also provided. An iron, ironing board and hair drier also completed the accessories. No need to take shampoo/conditioner or soap as these were also provided along with cotton buds and cottonwool pads. The bedroom had large tv, dvd player (you can borrow dvds from their shop) and ipod docking system. The bed overlooked patio doors which led onto your own private decking area which contained chairs and settee. Two steps down and you were onto white sand which led to your own private sunbeds and lagoon. It felt you were in paradise each day. Even though the island was almost full it never felt overcrowded at all.
We stayed in villa 109 which was on the windy side of the island. I did request that we were not on this side and was so pleased that this request went amiss. At 30 degrees most of the time you definitely needed a cool breeze as it would have been extremely stifling if on the other side of the island.
You can loan snorkels and flippers for your stay free of charge from the dive centre which was an experience as we had never snorkeled before but so please we did it as the fish and coral were amazing.
The highlight of our visit was a sandbank meal and would recommend anyone who wants an amazing experience to do this. It was expensive but when you consider that you are transported by private motor boat to your own sandbank and have your own chef and waiter in the middle of the Indian Ocean - I for one thought it was well and truly worth it. When we stepped onto the sandbank we were greeted by our waiter and introduced to our chef then we were escorted to two chairs and a small table facing the sunset. We were served cold champagne and canapes whilst we watched the sun go down. It was really surreal. We then were lead to our table and served an amazing four course dinner, complete with warm rolls. As it got windy I was given a warm wrap to wear which was a thoughtful touch. Everything seems to have been thought of and I must say I am incredibly fussy over detail but I couldnt fault this experience in the least.
We visited their signature restaurant The Lighthouse which is expensive as well but I must say the food was delicious. I chose the steak which I could have cut with a spoon it was that tender and to sit under the stars and watch the fish and sharks in the water was the icing on the cake.
We new before we went that everything had to be imported in the Maldives and therefore carries a 10% charge on top of everything. Alcohol is quite expensive but I must say we chose the house wine and at £26 a bottle it was really lovely and personally I didnt think that too outrageous.
We booked half board and therefore evening meal in their Lime house restaurant was included. Their four course meal was delicious, especially their spicy chicken soup. If you had to eat there for more than a week then you might get bored. We also were allowed to be included in the Maldivian evening and their Asian night which was included in the half board otherwise it would have cost us 85 dollars each. I must say their Asian night was better than their Maldivian but that might be personal taste.
Breakfasts were delicious, mango juice yummy, with an array of fresh fruit prepared in front of you as well as cooked breakfasts, crepes and waffles, pastries, cereals, cheese and meats - it would suit all nationalities.
We also felt that we didnt need lunch although light bites were available if required. I recommend trying their mango lassi - ice cold, delicious and filling.
We didnt go on any tours or trips as we didnt feel the need to but there are plenty to chose from - basically whatever you want to do Baros will accommodate your needs.
We also didnt visit their spa which looked divine but their treatments were quite expensive.
Attention to detail was second to none along with the service - couldnt fault it at all. All staff were welcoming, polite and professional.
The only negative I could say about staying at Baros is that it spoils you for other holidays as I really dont think it could be beaten both in comfort and service. Would love to visit again and would highly recommend it,

2  Thank jayneandcarl
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We'd booked our honeymoon after hours of searching the web and trip adviser, and after months of anticipation I was slightly concerned that maybe our holiday wouldn't live up to the hype. How wrong I was. Baros is outstanding. We've travelled fairly widely and stayed in a few really top end hotels but this was something else. Yes, it doesn't come cheap, but the service, atmosphere, accommodation (that doesn't quite cover the palatial rooms!), food and proximity to the most incredible reef were worth every hard earned penny. Having been there we have come to the conclusion that the negative reports were written by people trying to keep this place as their little secret - if I thought it might work I might do the same, but I don't think you can hide this light under a bushel! Yes, you can see Male twinkling in the distance; we both rather liked this as we could sit in the restaurant, enjoying a superb breakfast, knowing that people in suits were going to work and the most strenuous thing we'd be doing is donning our fins for another snorkel. I don't want to write too much about what we did or found on the island, especially in the ocean - you should just go and discover it yourself.
Thank you all the staff, but Abdulla, Ahmed, Magali and Umar in particular, for the experience of a life time.

1  Thank MrsD1704
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baros Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!