“Overpriced... Ouch my pillow”

Hulhule Island Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hulhule Island
“Overpriced... Ouch my pillow”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

My colleague and I stayed here around the christmas period for a few nights. On arrival reception was inviting and cool, with a warm welcome from the reception staff. Our rooms spacious and pleasant, with large corner bath and semi wet room area next to the bath for the shower, all very nice. Balcony which is aircraft spotters paradise, and can be noisy even with the doors closed. Good English tv selection available. Coffee, kettle and a large selection of really nice teas, and standard minibar drinks and snacks, which I didn't think were particularly overpriced (not when compared to Europe)..... But ooooh my - those pillows are so firm they could be used as boat buffers!!! Aircon works but noisy..!

Yes you can buy a beer in this hotel and the bar and pool bar are both very pleasant, as was the service provided by the staff. Drinks reasonable prices as was the food. Can't comment on the main restaurant as only ate in the bar, which was just ok....!

There is a regular complimentary ferry that takes you across to the Capitol. I would highly recommend this for dinner as we found some really nice places to eat, and was really good value, remember its dry so don't even ask..!

Breakfast on the 4th floor, great views of the sea and Male, good food selection and quality. They need to provide some water as well as juices at breakfast, I did ask for some sparkling water but was told I would be charged, And at $477 USD per night I thought that to be a bit of a p!$$ take!!!!!! And as I finish on the subject of charges, they do for the internet also, which I must add that is about as fast as my old dial-up from the late 90's during the day. Good news though if your suffering from jet lag and awake through the small hours of the morning, it is marginally better. Will never conference, Skype, or stream....! Don't pay the extra would be my advice there.

In summary it's an ok hotel but so overprice monopolising on a captive audience it's spoilt. There's better and cheaper options on Male itself.

Enjoy the Maldives...

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Highland, Indiana
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were told by our travel agent that this hotel was pretty much the only one near the airport so we paid the over $400 per night for one night stay before we got on our boat. I have to say I was expecting a LOT more for that kind of money. I have never paid anywhere near that for a hotel room even in down town New York City. The hotel looks like a mid level chain hotel.

The lobby is attractive, but open air and terribly hot. Many people were sitting in this heat trying to get the incredibly slow wifi to connect.

The room was disappointingly small and the beds were tiny and very close together. Not even queen sized beds. I know it is tougher when 2 single guys are sharing a room, but I expected more space than that.

There was no balcony although you could see some of the ocean from the window.

The bathroom was OK. nothing great.

Thank God the air conditioner worked because the Maldives is HOT. The air conditioner was quite loud, but that was OK since my roommate snored anyway.

I got a surprise upon opening the closet. An open circuit box just sitting there with no cover or anything. Again, NOT what I would expect in a $400 hotel.

in room wi fi worked OK, but was $30 per day.

The pool is huge and you can actually swim laps. The beach is lame. maybe 60 feet of sand behind a sea wall. If you could wear blinders and not see the sea walls the sand was nice and it was probably better for kids and people not comfortable in the water, but not so much for me.

The gym is also huge and probably the best gym I have ever seen at a hotel anywhere. I was a little mad that the attendant made me walk all the way back to my room to put sneakers on even if I was just going to do weights.

The hotel grounds are pretty nice and there is a lot of green space.

The breakfast buffet was incredible. Probably the best thing about this hotel.

The hotel is very convenient if you are going to the airport since it is just a few blocks away.

Ordinarily, I would say the hotel rated 2-3 stars, but if you consider the over $400 I paid I would feel hard pressed to give more than 2 stars. I would have been disappointed if I had paid half as much.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Hulhule Island hotels

Abu Dhabi, UAE
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed at HIH for one night and I must say at the end of my stay I was happy but I wouldn't stay for more than a day. The hotel is big and spacious which is nice. It has a very nice pool but the beach is nothing close to what you see on postcards. Staff were helpful and friendly. I did face an awkward situation when I first reached, TWICE! When I checked in, I was given a room on the second floor and as I opened the door, I found out that someone was in the room. I went down to the reception and they apologized and gave me another room on the 3rd floor. So i put my key in and open the door and there is another person in the room! A bit upset I went down to the reception and complained yet again. They were really surprised this time and to make things better they upgraded me which made me very very happy! I got a room that has direct access to the beach and was able to see marvelous sunsets and sunrises! The room is big and the bathroom is too. The bed is super comfortable and you have a great choice of pillows to pick from. The room was very clean.
My room was paid for by my company so I don't know how much it costed. I paid for my food and drinks and although many say it was expensive, I found it ok. A beer cost $6, a buffet cost $38. Sodas and juices are on the expensive side but at which hotel aren't they? For dinner I had a fish dish for $18, the next day a colleague had a tuna sandwich for $12 and nachos for $11.50. So generally, I didn't find the hotel expensive.
If you are staying there on a Friday, be prepared to have also everything closed (not the hotel but other services like boats and the main island). We couldn't find a boat to take to the other islands for the day because it was Friday. The hotel has complimentary boat rides to Male every hour or so but on Fridays they only start at 14.15pm. On Male island most of the shops are closed on Fridays and restaurants too, but you'll find a couple of souvenir shops here and there.
Overall, the duration I spent there was enough for this island so if you are spending any more time, either book a hotel on another island or plan to visit another island for the day. There are plenty of packages to choose from either from the hotel itself, or from the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with direct access to the beach. Worth it for those lovely sunsets and sunrises.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We only stayed one night at HIH. It has a pleasant lobby and the rooms are a good size, however, being a non-smoker I was disappointed at how much I noticed that our room was a smoker's room... I don't believe they have non-smoking rooms, but I didn't check specifically (guess I should have). Our room was well appointed and clean, we had a view of the bay and the gardens on the 3rd floor, the A/C worked very well (and helped eliminate the heavy odor of stale cigarettes), and it was quiet. We were traveling with a group of 12 and we all had dinner in the wine cafe. The service was good, but at times a bit slow... island time. Food was very good and served at the right temperature. If you didn't want to pay to have wi-fi in your room, you could get a "code" and sit in the lobby or the cafe... this was quite a nuisance for us and for the staff... they should just make the wi-fi access available without the hassle... (imho).

After our 10-day dive trip we returned to Hulhule for the day while waiting for our 11:00pm flight to Dubai. They had "package" deals that you could purchase for the pool, with lunch and or dinner and other options and if they weren't suitable they were very good about personalizing a package for you. I opted to just get a wi-fi package with dinner at the upstairs restaurant. They have a lovely spa on site, so I spent some quality time there, I thought I had booked a double session for my husband and I; when we arrived they could only take one of us. I had a Balinese massage and it was very therapeutic and relaxing.

Our dinner in the newly renovated restaurant was good to very good, not outstanding. There were 12 of us dining together and they did a great job of getting our meals out almost all at the same time. The wait staff was very attentive, and they have a nice wine/beer selection and limited alcohol offerings.

Room Tip: if you're a non-smoker inquire about non-smoking rooms else you'll have a room that has a he...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Denmark
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I frequently stay at the Hulhule Island Hotel, and I always have a great time there. If you are staying in the "new wing" the rooms are very nice and modern. Spacious rooms, breathtaking views, and most of the amenities the business traveller requires. The older rooms are adequate, but would benefit from a makeover. The hotel staff in general are very friendly and professional. The rooftop restaurant is very nice, however bring a jumper, cause they run the AC at sub zero temperatures. It is hard to compare this hotel to the modern airport hotels, cause it lacks so many things compared to those, but this hotel has a bit of an edge a bit of soul and that is often worth so much more. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to the vacationer, this is for people who needs to be in the vicinity of the airport.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Peter J
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Great restaurants and Sports Bar serving beers and spirits.
Large outdoor full size swimming pool and separate children's pool. Full bar service and pizza bar at poolside. Seperate ocean breakwater for swimming in seawater

• Stayed October 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We were staying in Male hotel as not aware about this hotel. Met up with manager in restaurant who helped us a lot in getting the room.service staff was extra courteous specially in bar and poolside .we enjoyed night event at bar with promotion beer and sizzler at poolside restaurant. Rooms were nice and neatly cleaned ,buffet breakfast view was very good from 4th floor restaurant. Hotel has many sports activities but due to less time could not enjoy much. Price wise quite reasonable when you compare to other 5 star resorts.

Hotel offered complimentary wi fi in restaurant and drop at airport .

Really amazing experience!!!

Keep it up

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hulhule Island
Hotel Ocean Grand at Hulhumale
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#2 of 11 in Hulhumale
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi

Been to Hulhule Island Hotel? Share your experiences!