“Left us without our booked room”

Bush Village Budget Cabins
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Myself and my gf booked a night at the Bush Village through Hostelbookers.com and paid a small deposit in Oct 2013. We were driving from Cairns to Brisbane over a few days and when it came obvious to us we could not get to the accommodation in time to pick up the key (car issues) we phoned at 6pm on the day we had booked for and explained our situation. The manager was helpful and said he would leave the accommodation open and put the key under the door and we could settle the bill in the morning.

We arrived at the property after 11pm after 10hours of driving just wanting a bed and a shower but we found that the bungalow that he told was ours had been locked and clearly somebody was inside and had been there for some time because they had wet laundry outside. I phoned the number we had (after the closing hours, but we had no other option) and was no response, fair enough since it was late and a sign states the office hours but it does seem strange there would not be an emergency number if you were staying and something happened while on the property. There was no answer at the door even though the occupants had gone quiet with our knocking. With nothing else we could try, we then spent 2 hours trying to find accommodation in a deserted town with limited accommodation and luckily found a 24hr reception motel which was a 20min drive out of town.

In the morning we returned to speak to the manager, I told him my name and he went to check the book to (I think) get our bill ready but then stopped himself when realising I was the person who had phoned the night before. I explained we didn't stay the night as the door was locked and there was people inside.
We're pretty sure he gave the room away even though I had phoned at 6pm to confirm our stay and unfortunate late arrival. Then clearly was taken aback the next morning when we returned and confronted him about it. He apologised (didn't seem sincere if being honest) and said there was people in the property who were not answering when he knocked himself that morning and had no idea who they were, but didn't seem too bothered there was people staying in his property that he didn't know/book in. He said he would not bill me...really like that would even be a factor when we clearly didn't stay in the property. The attitude and body language shown to us just seemed a little too strange for somebody who claims he had no idea what was going on.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

We apologise again for the mix up with your room. We did leave the keys for you in your room as arranged over the phone and yes there were other guests in the cabin as it is a share cabin and you had booked a room in this cabin. To suggest we sold the room to someone else is untrue. Due to a breakdown in communication the other guests locked the door to the cabin. We have since changed our procedures for late check-in. We only realised what happened early the next morning when we noticed the light was on in the room with the curtains open and it was obvious no one had been in the room. On inspection we realised the door was locked and realised what had happened. At no time did we consider to charge you and to say that my apology is not sincere is untrue. I simply did not have the explanation for you as it was a mishap that was out of our hands and we have now fixed this from happening again. As we are owner-operators and offer a personalised service for our guests from the early hours of the morning to well into the evening, it is physically not possible to offer a 24hr check-in service and we don't think it is reasonable to expect this from an accommodation village of our size.

There are newer reviews for Bush Village Budget Cabins

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

I decided to stay at bush village as they were able to offer me my own room, with shared facilities at a great price with free WiFi & was advertised as being a quiet place to stay. I spent 4 nights here & was sad to leave! It really is a wonderful place to stay in airlie beach, mainly because of Bryan & Jude who were so helpful & friendly during my stay & they really do make you feel at home. Bryan spent time finding out what sort of whitsunday trip I would want & recommended one which turned out to be great! He also recommended a flight over the islands & reef which I chose to do & was amazing! They work very hard to ensure the cabins are clean & their guests are well looked after which I have found some hostels around Australia have lacked with majority of staff being British backpackers who have no knowlegde on the area.
It is situated around a 30 min walk out of town but the walk is lovely & I saw this as a positive! They also have a lovely pool to use. I couldn't believe the number of beautiful birds I saw during my stay & before I left Bryan pointed out a kangaroo out the back!
I would highly recommend this place to anyone wanting some peace & quiet, nature & helpful hosts.
Thank you Bryan & Jude for a wonderful stay at bush village!

• Stayed: November 2013
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Hello & thanks for your great review. As this is our home, we try and make it welcome as possible. We love the amazing birds that live in the area and the occasional wallaby that hops through. Bryan likes to find the right trip for our guests so they leave Airlie Beach with positive memories. We like our cabins clean & we think our guests have a right to expect cleanliness. We trust your Australian holiday was a memorable one and there are many happy days ahead. It was very nice to meet you and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed in one of the cabins for one night and our experience was quite good.
The owner is a very nice person, and really helpful.
The cabins are maybe a bit poor for the price, but you get everything you need.
The walk to town is extremely beautiful if you follow the path next to the water. At sunset time on a clear day the colours are amazing!

It is highly recommendable!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for your review. The walk into town is a highlight as you pass by Abell Point Marina & the oceanfront. Watching the sail boats floating along in the breeze is awesome & as you said the sunset over the water & the surroundings is a beautiful sight. We are working towards upgrading our facilities but as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. We feel our prices are reasonable in comparison to similar places.
We trust you had a wonderful warm holiday in the Whitsundays.
Jude & Bryan

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Went to the site, looking for potential accommodation. Me and my friend were given one of the rudest responses ever! I have traveled all over the world and not had such bad treatment.
The guy working there( middle aged,morning shift) barely looked at us while feeding some parrots. He did not say hello. His first comment was ''did you not see the sign'' it says no vacancy's. He then went on to say ''you will not get anywhere in town today'' before walking off away.
Is it necessary to be this rude?? awful customer service for potential business. I really hope the owner reads this and takes note.
5 minutes later we had found a place to stay, so his rude advice was incorrect on top of his extremely rude manner.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

I am very sad to hear this as you have only told half the story. Yes I was short as it was just after 6am (we don't open until 7.30) and I walk out to find people in a car in our drive when we had No Vacancy signs out and it appeared that you guys had been parked there for a while. I explained that at that time of the day in my opinion there would be no accommodation available. We treat all our guests with respect and a friendly service and their safety and wellbeing is paramount so if I seem a little rude to people parked in our driveway in the early hours of the day with the sign clearly saying we have No Vacancy, I apologise but have to still wonder why you were there.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Firstly, the Whitsunday Islands are a fantastic part of Australia to visit. The 'Bush Village Budget Cabins' were the first place in Australia that I stayed in and proved to be amongst the best.
The cabins are clean, quiet, affordable and it's only a short scenic walk along the boardwalk into town. I was a bit apprehensive visiting Australia for the first time being by myself for 6 weeks but Bryan and Jude made me feel very welcome which I was most grateful for.
Bryan in particular helped me arrange several trips, all of which were fantastic.
There are local amenities just down the road and Bush Village Cabins proved to be an ideal location for seeing the Whitsundays. Thanks for everything guys! Highly recommended place to stay at in my opinion, just got to save up now for the return trip!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thank you for your review. Australia is a fantastic country & the Whitsundays are high on the list of amazing areas to stay a while. Bryan is pretty good on selecting the right trips for our guests depending on the level or type of activity. If you save hard & return to the Whitsundays, even if you are passing through, please call in & have a chat.
Jude & Bryan

Reviewed 10 August 2013

My partner and I stayed one night at the Bush Village and it was great - the gardens were lovely and I got to enjoy some time in the hammock outside our room. Cars are parked at the front of the property so it's quite peaceful with no vehicles around. There are lovely views of the hills behind Airlie Beach (especially from the hammock) and bird life to watch. The room, linen and ensuite were very clean and spacious. The bed was a bit hard and uncomfortable - two singles together - I should have asked when I was told it was a king size bed... I will next time! Bush village is walking distance to a supermarket and other food outlets including Banjo's which served nice quality pub food. Would we stay again? Yes.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for your honest review. As you said king beds are two singles together. Try a queen bed if you come back. It is amazing the amount of bird life we have in Airlie Beach and i hope our council work with developers to retain this and the other beautiful wildlife we have in the area. Happy days.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the budget double which shared a small (fully equipped) kitchen and Bathroom. The lounge area is very nice, and good Internet too. It's about 20 minute walk along the board walk to Airlie Beach central and close to supermarkets making it a good quiet place to rest in Airlie, the owner is also very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you. We are striving to provide a clean quiet enviroment for the budget concious traveler and reviews like yours help us stay on track. Hope the Melbourne weather is being kind.
Cheer Jude & Bryan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannonvale
Island Gateway Holiday Park
Whitsundays Rainforest Retreat
Whitsundays Rainforest Retreat
#4 of 12 in Airlie Beach
Kipara Tropical Rainforest Retreat

Been to Bush Village Budget Cabins? Share your experiences!