“Recommend ”

Bush Village Budget Cabins
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of days with my family.We had relocated to the area and were stuffed around by a real estate agent which left us homeless.
Walked into the office and with no fuss at all,had the keys to a room.
Over those few days we had a chance to meet the owners,Bryan and Jude.I don't understand previous reviews,as we found owners to be very kind,understanding and friendly.
The cabin and beds were clean and very comfortable,and contained everything needed.It was quiet and peaceful.Bush village cabins are in a great position,with everything close by.I highly recommend a stay here.
Thanks Jude and Brian for your hospitality,we will also recommend
you to friends of ours when they come to visit.Matt and family.

Stayed: July 2014
Jude - Bryan O, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your kind review. In response to other reviews, it just seems all the people can't be pleased all the time & we understand that but we try our best. We adhere to our principles & the regulations that govern our business. Please drop in anytime.
Jude & Bryan

There are newer reviews for Bush Village Budget Cabins

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My travel companion and I were optimistic when we saw such good reviews, but we came away stunned and unsure that we had stayed in the same place these other reviewers had been. Bryan, one of the owners, was incredibly rude, defensive, and condescending on two separate occasions on our two-night stay.

We were initially impressed with the picturesque palm tree-lined driveway leading to the reception office, which was closed upon our late arrival. We ended up staying the night in our car outside, which in and of itself has no bearing on my low review; we figured there might just have been a misunderstanding. When we booked Bush Village through hostelz.com, as we had for all the previous hostels we stayed at, we indicated that our check-in time would be late – 11pm. Contrary to Bryan’s assertions during our ensuing argument at 6am, NOWHERE on the site description does it say that contact beyond what we enter in the website must be made for a late check-in. As the past two hostels we’d booked through hostelz.com had fully expected and ACCOMMODATED our late arrivals, we were under the impression that all the hostels are sent our check-in time and credit card information, and had no reason to think otherwise. However, immediately upon hearing that we had not been able to check in the night before, Bryan became irate and defensive with me, claiming that their policy on arranging late check-in is clearly in their description (which it is not), and arguing that we must pay for both nights because it was not their fault that we could not check in. To avoid further conflict and just get to a bed, we decided to simply pay for both nights, including the one spent in their parking lot.

As to the accommodations themselves: even without my altercation with Bryan, I was unimpressed given the price. The hot water in our shower did not work, nor our bathroom light (Cabin 1). Other than the lounge area, which was small but pretty enough, the cabins were unremarkable. It is also a quick drive from downtown but would certainly be far without a car. The free parking was convenient, though if it had been peak season, I expect they would have quickly run out of spaces.

Our second argument occurred later in the morning while I was outside, where I saw Bryan showing some customers their cabin across the way. As he was fairly pleasant to them, I thought I would say good morning, shake hands, and apologize for the earlier misunderstanding on both our parts. Unfortunately, this man seems never to have matured into adulthood and took offence to the idea that he could have misunderstood anything, and again became defensive and condescending, arguing that I should have had the ‘common sense’ to call their office to confirm a late check-in, ignoring my protestations that we had NEVER had to do so for any hostel we had booked before for the same time. I realized then that there is no sense arguing with such an unreasonably irascible man, and as I turned to leave, he aggressively quipped that we still had to sort out our bill, as though he expected us to skip out. As I was under the impression that he had our credit card information anyway, as EVERY OTHER HOSTEL HAD, I just found the comment to be unnecessarily obnoxious.

Later, when my friend went to sort the bill, she found out that the reason he did not get our check-in and credit card info is because he has to pay the site a fee to get that information. I’ve no clue how on earth he expected us to know that. Perhaps he finally realized this error because he was decent enough to halve the bill for the night we spent in their parking lot. I still give this place 1 star, however, given that I am sure beyond a doubt that if the same situation had occurred at any of the other five hostels in which we'd stayed, the customer service would have been far more reasonable and would not have immediately become as rude as Bryan had been. Seeing his defensive responses to bad reviews alluding to his poor customer relations convinces me that he cares less about customer service than he does about having the last word and securing his money. He was honestly the first and only truly rude person we encountered in our travels up the coast from Sydney to Cairns, and I hope he’s honored to have the title.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Steph P

Well I guess I should thank you for the award you have bestowed on me. While we sympathise with you guys sleeping in your car, some simple common sense and communication would have prevented the situation. The booking we received in the name of your travelling companion was sent to us from a different booking site to the one you claim to have booked on and as I showed you we do not receive check-in times from this site. On this site, our check-in times are clearly stated. We did try to contact you at closing time however the contact details we received were invalid. As for your so called argument, this was you trying to get me to take responsibility for the situation, which I could not and will not. You were also convinced that you had pre paid for your accommodation and were asking for a refund. As I tried to explain to you this was not the case, the booking site only takes a deposit, which is why I reminded you about the payment later that day in the drive. We are a small accommodation business who try to help out guests where possible, which is why I offered a discount to you companion, who might I add was very civil and possibly should have done the talking from the start. The blown light in the bathroom was replaced as soon as we were notified, again communication and we have not received any other complaints about the hot water and could not find a problem. Again thank you for the title.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We loved Bush Village; the cabins are all you need for a good nights sleep, and such good value. The bed was comfortable and the cabin and bathroom clean. It is set in a lush tree lined area yet it is about three hundred yards from the coast and the nice boardwalk, and about five minutes drive to Airlie Beach. There are is a shopping complex five minutes walk away, Coles ect. and several restaurants are nearby. We found the owner/ manager, Bryan, very helpful, friendly, and easy going. He really comes across as wanting you to enjoy your stay. It even has a nice little swimming pool. It’s a great value gem, especially if you like parrots; they are everywhere, and such fun to watch. We stayed four nights as we were based in Cairns and had driven down to see The Whitsundays, I could have stayed longer, and if I went back I would stay at Bush Village again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jude - Bryan O, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your kind review of Bush Village. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and would welcome you back any time. The bird life here is very special to us and we enjoy our guests reactions to the crazy Lorrikeets. We are happy you enjoyed our location with the parklands, boardwalk and water just across the road and also our close proximity to the local shopping centre. The center of Airlie Beach is only a few minutes drive or a relaxing walk along the boardwalk. Thanks again for your review, happy travelling.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights at Bush village and had a thoroughly good time. We had one of the renovated semi-detached cabins which have very good through ventilation so in fact there is no need for the AC. The cabin is spotlessly clean and well equipped, the bed is firm but good. The bathroom is fine, too, only the lack of a dividing wall to the shower is a little impractical. You can have breakfast or dinner outside on the terrace which is shared with your direct neighbours. Again, there is no privacy, so you are at the mercy of your neighbours - we were very lucky in this respect. The WiFi does not extend to the cabins, so you have to walk up to reception to go online. The owner Bryan was very helpful and gave us good, honest tips.

The cabins are arranged along a driveway where private cars are not allowed (taxis drive up, though) so the overall ambience is very quiet and the vegetation lush. Very colourful birdlife, too.

Bush Village is out of town, which is actually a good thing because Airlie Beach town centre is certainly not everybody's cup of tea. It is a very quiet and relaxing place to return to after a day's "excitement" in Airlie Beach. The beautiful walk into town along the boardwalk is a sightseeing tip in itself, however it takes a good half hour and, because the scenery is so wonderful, it will normally take you much longer. There is a Coles supermarket and an excellent Noodle & Rice Asian take-away only 5 mins on foot in the other direction. There is also a pub at the end of the mall which is best avoided however - expensive, disappointing food, terrible beer.

Room Tip: Cabin 13 is fine
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jude - Bryan O, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hey Guys, Thank you for your stay and comments of Bush Village. You have summed us up pretty much spot on. We do like for our guests to have a quiet relaxing time and most of our guests agree it is much better staying away from the centre of Town. Its good you took advantage of the beautiful scenery along the boardwalk and there are some new restaurants opening at the Marina between us and Town. Thanks again for your kind comments and happy travelling.

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 3 bed basic dorm which was spot on, the bathroom and kitchen were lovely and couldn't complain. The bed wasn't the greatest but it's budget accommodation so I can't complain. The lounge area was lovely, with great wifi and a nice looking pool even though I didn't try it out. Brian was very helpful and friendly, he booked our tour with ocean rafting (which was awesome.) He looks after the place really well has done a great job. Having a look at some of the other cabins made me a little jealous, they look awesome so if you can afford it, it would be worth getting one of the better cabins. The one minor downside was having to get the public bus upon arrival off the greyhound. After a 12 hour bus journey from Hervey Bay, a pick up would have been nice but in fairness, the public bus isn't far away and it drops you right at bush village budget cabins so not a major issue. Thank you, would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing the Bush Village the way it is. Getting here is part of the travel adventure. We have different styles of cabins to suit different travellers but our aim is to provide budget accommodation. Not many dorm rooms have a kitchenette & bathroom of their own & only 5 people sharing a 2 bedroom cabin. Bryan is very helpful & does his best to make sure everyone is happy. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Bush Village.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Bush Village is a very nice and relaxing place to stay. The owners made my friends and I feel welcome from the moment we arrived. It was nice hanging out at the lounge and listening to some good music (from a local radio station), and seeing some very interesting birds that hang out in the village.

I stayed in the backpackers shared accommodation. It was very nice to have some peace and quite, as well as much less traffic than one would typically find in a hostel. The bed, bathroom and kitchen areas were all nice.

The location itself is a 20 minute walk from the Airlie Beach lagoon. If you're not up for the walk, a taxi will arrive within minutes of a phone call.

My biggest suggestion for improvement is to extend WiFi to cover all of the cabins. It is only available in the lounge area.

I would have stayed an extra night if my scheduled would have allowed. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Bush Village, along with being at Airlie Beach. I will stay here again when I visit Airlie Beach.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing the Bush Village as it is. Our aim is to provide clean, quiet comfortable accommodation. The dorm rooms are a bit different as all cabins with 2 bedrooms only sleep five and they all have their own bathroom & kitchenette. The 20 min walk is beautiful & provides your daily exercise so you can enjoy the view as well as Airlie's great restaurants.

Jude & Bryan

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We loved our stay at Bush Village.
Bryan was very welcoming when we arrived.
Cabins Are Great value for your money. Spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet.
Looking forward to our next stay at Bush Village.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank josh c
owners-BushVillage, Owner at Bush Village Budget Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for your review. Our aim is to provide quiet, comfortable, clean, no frills accommodation. We are pleased that you acknowledged this. Happy Days

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannonvale
Island Gateway Holiday Park
Whitsundays Rainforest Retreat
Whitsundays Rainforest Retreat
#4 of 12 in Airlie Beach
Kipara Tropical Rainforest Retreat

Been to Bush Village Budget Cabins? Share your experiences!