The Ngimat Ayu House Bario
TripAdvisor
Benarat Inn(Gunung Mulu National Park)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Mulu River Lodge(Gunung Mulu National Park)
All reviewsprayer mountainstayed here for nightshome stayhot showerwild boarlong housesalt springmemorable experienceexceptional hospitalityair conditioninghis mothereach mealbreathtaking viewsricepaddy fieldsguest houselocal produce
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Together with my girlfriend I stayed in the Ngimat Ayu's Homestay for 5 nights, of which one in the jungle. His homestay is a fantastic place to stay to see the beautiful environment of Bario. Together with Deborah he runs the homestay in the most hospitable way we have ever experienced. The rooms are tidy and comfortable. The view on the veranda are fantastic and you sit and look for hours. The food is not only found/caught locally, but also tastes very good! It was a feast every time! The people of Bario are all very friendly and welcome you in town.

We did some amazing hikes into the jungle (with overnight near the river, fantastic!), as well a great kayaking tour on the river nearby, which we will both never forget! All accompanied by Apoi. He organises all tours and trips very well and he always brings the nicest local snacks with him (pineapple and Bario-rice snacks!)…

We hope to come back soon!!

Room Tip: We had the double room, but all rooms are fine!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kurvers
Reviewed 5 September 2012

It's got shared toilets, cold and cold (barely) running water, and a mandi type shower but we loved the place. Bedroom was adequate, and the bed ok, but you don't come here for Hilton style comfort. What you get instead is to stay in a traditional longhouse style building with some of the nicest people you could imagine. Apoi (aka Scott) is the perfect host, and Deborah, a great giggler cooks some of the tastiest food, all locally grown/gathered/caught or shot! Sitting on the verandah, watching another breathtaking sunset makes a stay here truly special in a very magical place called Bario.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HarryS_9
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Last year in October we spend three days with Scott and his family and it was really amazing! Bario is such a peaceful village and we really loved the terrace with the beautiful view. Also the home-made food (and afternoon tea with little snack) was very nice and Scott entertained us well during our evening meals. He arranged also a guide for us to walk to Pa Lungan, a very small village in the wood. It was our most memorable stay during our trip in Borneo!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank An_Delang
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We (3 of us) stayed here for 3 nights in July 2011. This place was so peacefull and we didn't want to leave. We had a great time with Apoi (runs the place) and basically we just hung out in Bario, walked around and visited nearby spots.
The Homestay is a small wooden longhouse with everything you need. Don't expect luxury, but that's not what Bario is about. The place has a long and very relaxing balcony the rooms are roomy and clean. The best thing about this place is Apoi and his family and your fellow guests. Food is included in the price and it doesn't get more local and fresh. If you stop by ask Apoi to make you a pumpkin curry...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank pabloeskimo
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I came with a different purpose (hahaha) and instead I found God in Bario...:) Only to notice it after 4 months when I first prayed at mount prayer ..then I came again :). It is a wonderful place and if you are travelling without any plans, Ngimat Ayu's homestay is the best place to be. Scott Apoi will make sure your trip runs smoothly and knows what's best for you. Once you reach the airport, you need not to worry as Apoi will pick you up at the airport, if not there's always an escort accompanied by phone calls from him (I came twice already hehe). Everyone in Bario is very very friendly and if you ever get lost just mention Apoi's name and you'll be on your way to the homestay. The place serves fantastic food(Apoi and Debra are great at cooking) and is very comfortable.There's no tv and all those things you normally do in the city will be irrelevant here. Therefore, relax, take a deep breath and enjoy the breathtaking views from the verandah (if you dont know how to relax, learn the art of doing nothing hehe). Time literally stops once you're there and a day seems like 3 days ..which is good for me as when Im working a week seems like 3 days. The first trip I came with my friend Ashok, which lasts for one day and one night was well spent. When we reach around 10am, we had our lunch first then went to salt spring and Pa'umor. Thank God we went there coz all the while I thought people get their salts digging from the ground ,,lol. The scenery while walking is breathtaking and the surrounding is cool. Then there's this mysterious megaliths which I believe is a portal..haha..I wish! Then at night after dinner we had a good drinking session till 11pm..then the generator is off and it went dark. Make sure you bring your torch light! The next morning at 4am we went to prayer mountain and I had a personal experience with God that morning while climbing as it seems impossible to reach. The first half when we reached the chapel I was breathless and had a chest pain. Then I prayed that I really need to reach the top and give me the strength to finish it. Amazingly, my prayer was answered and I beat Ashok (a regular hiker HHH) on the second half hahaha sorry Ashok..but he aknowledge it too! When we reach the top it was on time for sunrise and the view was breathtaking. I had my silent time and prayed and it materialized after 4 months..amazing? try it! And because of that I came the second time only this time I spent a longer time (4days 3 nights) and dwell more on normal daily activities which was fun! went to the sheep farm and gather vegetables and fruits..I pat a sheep and a deer for the first time..I feel loved!...I woke up early and joined the morning prayers at 5.30am with the folks the took a brief walk around the village and saw Turu (the hornbill)!...at night I watched the stars so bright and the clouds are amazing in the day time..they make me happy! But of course the most amazing thing is the people, they are very warm and friendly I felt at home..So the second trip was with Sreekanth and we went to the hydroelectric dam only to miss it by 5 minutes because sreek doesnt want to continue as its too far...hello?! Not to worry as I'll come again to finish the trip. I guess thats all and sorry coz its too long Apoi..i'll get a blog soon kekekek To the rest..its worthwhile..

Room Tip: Any rooms are good. Just bring a torchligth and extra batteries if you're scared of the dark and need to sleep with lights on hehe
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends