“Service Good, Food Good, Rooms to a good standard with a few negatives”

and 1 more site!
Listowel Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Listowel
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The Arms has an interesting history. The most famous of it's previous owners was the Irish tenor Joseph Locke. The present owners have extended the hotel considerably and there are many function rooms for meetings and local events. The main guest dining room has a superb view of Listowel racecourse. The Hotel is tastefully decorated and reflects the history of the main building, although it could do with a lick of paint here and there. The room I stayed in was to a good standard, although the TV was a little dated and I could not get sound on the BBC news channel. I had breakfast and an evening meal at a function and I was pleased with both. The reception, waiting and barstaff were attentive and polite.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 27 and had a good nights sleep
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Spent two nights at the listowel arms for race week ...our rooms were clean and comfortable with an old world charm. On arrival we were met by very friendly staff who could not have been more helpful despite the hotel being really busy for the races.I would like to compliment the hotel on grt line up of entertainment which helped to create the atmosphere which we have come to expect at the listowel races.Looking forward to the races at the listowel arms in 2014.
M Murphy Clare

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Just returned home from a three night stay at the Listowel Arms. The room was shabby with cobwebs and peeling paint. The carpet was also stained. The window was very exposed with no privacy of a net curtain. The room was also extremely noisy, requested a change but was given no option. Hotel is very tired and in need of some TLC! Shall not be returning as it was very expensive and not worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank Celticlady1969
Reviewed 22 September 2013

As a customer of Listowel Arms for Race Week over a long number of years the condition of the Gents toilets is absolutely horrendous. On Friday 20th September 2013, the hotel was packed to capacity with a 20 metre queue of patrons trying to gain entry to the bars/restaurants I reported the condition of the toilets which was like a "swimming pool", to the receptionist who thanked me for bringing it to her attention. Imagine my surprise one hour later, when I could barely walk across the floor to use toilet.

Why do authorities allow this to happen every year in this hotel during race week????

Martin Brophy , Enniscorthy, Co Wexford

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MBrophy
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Spent three weeks motoring around Ireland with my husband in August. We had a wonderful holiday but the highlight was the week we spent in county Kerry.
We spent three days in The Listowel Arms Hotel. This family-run hotel on the central square of Listowel town was a great find. We were welcomed by smiling staff and accompanied to a large, beautifully-decorated bedroom with a large and enticing bed covered in snowy-white linen, and with a gorgeous riverside view. The bathroom was equally impressive with lots of space and a gleaming white bathtub of Victorian opulence. Perfect.
Next morning we asked for Full Irish Breakfast in bed (total dissipation) and this was served by two pretty, smiling waitresses, a great start to the day. (I hope Dominique Strauss-Kahn is not reading this review! Sorry, bad joke...)
Lovely cosy old-fashioned hotel bar where we settled each morning to read the papers.
Spent the afternoons driving around, lots of places to visit, Dingle is great.
Excellent food in the hotel restaurant, my husband was surprised and impressed, and he's French, what more can I say.
After dinner, a few drinks in the bar. The bar in the Listowel Arms is not your typical hotel bar (I've had many a warm bottle of beer served by a surly night porter, so help me God), it has a local clientèle and a lively, friendly atmosphere. Lots of interesting farmery looking types with lovely Kerry accents. "Work away, Gerrul!" I was told on a number of occasions as I ordered drinks. I just love being called gerrull...
We loved everything about this hotel but perhaps the thing that impressed us most was the friendly, helpful staff. On the second evening I mislaid my AmEx card and the manager could not have been more helpful. He sent somebody up to search our room! This is something that could not happen in France.
It was very hot and we thought we'd head to the coast. The manager recommended their other hotel, The Cliff House Hotel in Ballybunion, 20 minutes drive from Listowel. The Cliff House, as its name would suggest, is perched on the cliffs looking over Ballybunion Bay. Our room, while not as glamourous as Listowel, was very clean and very comfortable and, to our delight, had a balcony with an amazing seaside view. We could see, and hear, the sea from our bed. Again, lovely staff, good food in the delightful hotel restaurant and a real bar with a local clietèle and live traditional music. We spent 5 days in Ballybunion and it felt like going back in time, to a simpler and saner life. In fact, it felt like a Maeve Binchy novel! I swear to God! Now, we were very lucky with the weather, but still.
Two great addresses, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We have just spent the night the bedroom had a very small double and a single bed there was not enough room to swing a cat the bathroom was from a wendyhouse the evening meal was a poor quality and expensive although the waitress was good

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We recently held our wedding reception in the Listowel Arms Hotel. I cannot recommend it highly enough, the staff are unbelievable, food was exceptional and there is a fantastic homely atmosphere. These people went above and beyond in order to ensure we had a most fantastic day. Patrice O Callaghan their wedding coordinator was brilliant, she ensured that everything went so smoothly. If I had my time over I would not change a thing!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Listowel
The Rose Hotel
#2 of 14 in Tralee
Manor West Hotel
Manor West Hotel
#4 of 14 in Tralee

Been to Listowel Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!