“Avoid like the plague”

Listowel Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Listowel
“Avoid like the plague”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner recently had a dreadful dining experience in this hotel. Decor was lovely but the meal was abominable. We both ordered fish. It was overdone, cold, not at all seasoned or garnished and tasted horrific. We both could not manage to eat more than one bite of the stuff. Would never come back to this spot.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Joynor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at hotel this weekend for my dearest friends wedding. What a fantastic time. The staff were Brilliant helpful and just top notch. Special thanks to Karen and both Fiona's. The food was the best I have had in a very long time. A perfect setting just loved it. The two lovely local ladies who have coffee each morning at hotel were just fantastic and a pleasure to meet. Thanks All at Listowel Arms for making my stay so perfect and a great happy memory.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Teresa D
Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights for a family wedding, found the hotel to be fine, a bit old fashioned we stayed in room 8 on the 1st floor, lovely big room but our bathroom was a bit on the small side, & I think the hotel were experiencing problems with there heating system as our room was very, very warm & we had to open the window in the middle of the night & turn of the radiator in our room & as we were facing out onto the main road we could hear all the early morning traffic, we ate in the bar when we arrived the food a lovely & the food at the wedding reception was very good as well. Have to say over all I enjoyed my stay here & would stay here again, & would have no problem in recommending it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Myself and my fiancèe attended a wedding in Listowel and the celebration took place in this hotel. Decor was very pretty, the staff very friendly and helpful. Food was delicious! The only down fall is that the guy who seemed to be a manager looked quite pissed off as he was walking around quite a lot with a pissed off head on him. If any staff member is reading this please pass this on to him as no one wants to see a sour face even if eveything is going wrong- that's very unprofessional. And the ladie's room wasn't looked after by anyone. No toilet tissue, one toilet was leaking- it was a mess. Other than that it was a lovely evening.

• Stayed March 2014
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Had three nights here for work. Nice old building, which makes the public areas very pleasant but compromised my room somewhat.

Plus points include a good breakfast, especially the hot items that were cooked to order. Also, the evening food was excellent, especially the seafood chowder. Also, staff were very friendly.

I felt the furniture in the room was not ideal. The floors are far from level due to the age of the building and the table provided was very wobbly. I was certainly not suitable to work at. Also, a big old wardrobe was provided and in this case the slope of the floor meant that the doors were swinging around uncontrollably.

No shelf was provided in the bathroom, which meant I had to balance my wash kit, tooth brush etc. on the toilet cistern, which is not exactly ideal.

Being 2014 I was rather shocked that there were only three channels on the TV and wi-fi was only available in certain parts of the public areas.

Finally, I did not sleep well. I think this was down to the sheets on the bed not being big enough so that they kept coming un-tucked and rucking up.

Overall, I do fully appreciate that this is an old building but for a business traveller I think there a a few things that could be done to improve things.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I had my hen party this weekend in the listowel arms! All I can say is amazing! I was put in the bridal suite and it was just beautiful. Total luxury!
Every single staff member was so warm, friendly & welcoming! There was even welcome letters on all out beds when we arrived!
I have to give a special mention to Kevin who was working behind the bar and waited on us hand and foot two nights in a row! He made us feel so welcome!

The hotel is decorated beautifully, the dinner & breakfast was delicious and the location is perfect.

I can't wait to go back again! A hidden gem!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachelpcon
Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed in the Listowel Arms this weekend and had such a fantastic time I had to post my review straight away.
We were on my sisters hen weekend with a group of friends and didn't want the usual experience of going to a big town and the group getting separated.
From start to finish our experience in the Listowel Arms was truly brilliant. The hotel itself is just beautiful, full of lovely antique furniture and blazing fires.
I cannot say enough about the staff, they are just so accommodating. They made us feel so welcome from the minute we arrived and nothing was a problem. My sister stayed in the bridal suite which was just beautiful but each of the bedrooms were lovely.
We had dinner in the hotel restaurant on Saturday night, which was divine, and the breakfast is definitely worth getting up for!
A great hotel for a group of friends or a couple to enjoy a relaxing weekend in.
I will definitely be back

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Listowel
North County House
#9 of 11 in Listowel
The 19th Lodge
The 19th Lodge
#2 of 21 in Ballybunion

Been to Listowel Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!