“One the Dingle Way - Maharees Isthmus”

Harbour House & Leisure Centre
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Nice views of harbour and countryside. Excellent food. Helpful staff. Nice lounge area with comfortable furniture. Has pool & sauna, though we didn't use. Does have squeaky floors in the hallway, but only noticed it when we were walking on it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Very friendly and helpfull magnificent views from bedroom but rooms could do with attention with regards cleanliness,carpets need chainging. Loud creaking floorboards along the hall to the bedrooms. overall we had a good experience Great place to go off season.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2012

14 years of traveling and staying in all types of accomadation.... This was by far the worst experience ever. The food, the staff, the premises, the hygiene, everything.....
And I don't mean facilities or location..... Hot water is paramount in any accomadation... None on the night of our arrival and none on the following morning following a terrible cheap quality breakfast. We were fobbed off morning and evening my the staff and then the owner.....
Worst thing is we were advised not to stay there.....
BE WARNED !!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
7  Thank DonoghMc
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed in the Harbour House recently at the end of a camping trip. The main reason we had booked the place was because it included a 'leisure centre' (a sauna and a pool) -- we figured that after a few nights in the tent, a soak in the sauna would be just the job. On the afternoon of our arrival, I went horse-riding with a group on the beach and was REALLY looking forward to having a sauna after that. However, when I got back to the house, my partner informed me that contrary to the information in the booklet in the room (and another notice by the sauna door), the sauna would not be available between 7 and 8 in the evening; instead it had closed at 6pm. I went back to query this with the man who had checked us in. I then had the most bizarre conversation with him. He insisted that he had told us upon arrival that the sauna would close at 6pm because the whole system was on 'single-circuit' electric system, and they could not run the sauna and the kitchen at the same time (!). When I told him that he definitely had NOT mentioned this to us (we were pretty focused on the sauna and there is no way we would have missed this piece of information), he got very defensive. When I said that the sauna was in fact the main reason we had booked this place and that we were very disappointed that we could not use it, the man got extremely defensive and suggested that we should leave. At 7pm, in a remote place, this obviously was not a very handy option for us. The worst thing about the whole experience, however, was not the fact that we were not able to use the sauna that night -- it was the way this man behaved. He did not have one ounce of customer service attitude about him. In most places in Ireland, the manager would at least try and make peace and perhaps offer a complimentary drink on the house, or make some similar little gesture. This was certainly not happening here. When I dared suggest this, the man actually said 'Absolutely not!'. I walked out, very unhappy about the whole experience. Needless to say, we did not feel like having dinner in this establishment that night and had our meal elsewhere.

The next morning, there was different person behind the desk, and she could not have been nicer. We had a pleasant enough morning and breakfast before out departure. My partner used the sauna; I did not, because I had already made other plans.

On the plus side, the room had a lovely view, so that was a comfort at least. The nice lady (who I think was the proprietor), would do well to not let the nasty little man anywhere near the guests. He very nearly ruined it for us.

Room Tip: Request a room with sea view if possible; otherwise you'll be overlooking a car park.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pau_WestCork
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Just spitting distance away from the longest beach in Europe, Harbour House is an excellent family run B&B. Not only does it have its own good restaurant and bar but also a pool, sauna and gym room as well as a diving and water sports school. The atmosphere here is very friendly with staff eager to help, striking the right balance between friendly familiarity and observing patrons privacy. I especially liked that the rooms did not have TV which both provided a peaceful air and encouraged people of all ages to socialise in a choice guest lounges,restaurant and bar. I hope to be able to stay there again and maybe next time book into a diving course for some of the family.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I loved everything about the Harbour House. It was a very welcoming and friendly place to stay. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The location was fantastic. I opened my window each morning at 6am to hear the sea and the birds. It was simple, yet perfect, accommodation for a quite relaxing few days. I don't dive - but I just might try it next time!! The food was exceptional. Breakfasts was delicious and but dinner was exceptional - wonderful food, especially the seafood, cooked and presented to a standard that I have rarely experienced. Go to Harbour House as soon as you can - I hope to be back soon. I can say that this was the best value for money that I have had in Ireland for a very long time. Well done everyone.

It rarely happens me, but I cannot think of anything I didn't like about it!! Maybe ---- a very small thing ---- could I suggest that they put a mirror near a plug where the hairdryer can be plugged in!

Room Tip: I could see the sea from my bedroom window and that was fantastic
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Myself and my wife were staying in the area recently and decided to eat here. We both had seafood and both meals were excellent. I had the seafood platter and my wife had the scallops. I have never had a seafood platter as big before and was so impressed that I called some friends who the following day drove 70 miles to try the food.
The restaurant is very clean and spacious, the staff are very friendly and accommodating and even brought out some children's books for my children as well as some complimentary ice cream for them.
I didn't stay here so cannot comment on the accommodation. View across the harbour is beautiful and I look forward to trying the restaurant out again in the future.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family