“Fantastic and accommodating host”
Review of Shaminir B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenmare
Shaminir B&B
Ranked #58 of 60 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Paihia
“Fantastic and accommodating host”
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Thankyou Joyce for making our stay very comfortable and enjoyable. Even watching your new chooks and the deer that was in the front garden in the morning. Sorry we didn't meet Tony as he was on his way over to England but it was a pleasure meeting Joyce and the food was lovely. Sorry we could'nt stay longer but hopefully one day we will be back. Being in the B&B business our selves we know what it is like to sometimes be under preasure and not having much time or space to your self but we never felt that we were intruding. Thanks once again Joyce for being a caring host. Robyn and Peter Paihia New Zealand

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
UK
Reviewed 12 March 2010

I would like to say I had the fantastic experience at this B&B. The owners where polite and where accommodating to all out requests. We had a great room and after a long journey to have a warm and friendly welcome is much required. Tony the owner and I had chats in the evening and I recently discover he and his lovely wife recently had there 40th in Dubai. They told us about there trip around the Far East. The hotel was very clean, tidy and warm. Food was great and the views from the hotel where amazing. I read a review on trip advisor about someone walking in there private area and drinking there wine. I feel that this was out of order and a invasion of privacy to this lovely couple. I had a great time and definitely recommend this Hotel. I was there for 4 nights I wish I had more time. Thank you for a great stay. I will be return again and again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Staines
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We had a lovely stay at Shaminir in Kenmare, shame about the weather. The view is wonderful and the hosts Joyce and Tony were very attentive to our requirements and in my opinion went above and beyond.

When we arrived, Joyce showed us to our room and provided us with guide books and brochures of the local area, which enabled us to plan our days out properly. Tony was friendly, and chatted to us about the local area, the golf courses and where to take the children.

Lovely people, fantastic setting, shame about the weather. I would definitely go back and recommend to friends.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
London, UK
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We arrived at Shaminir after spending several hours traveling though the winding lanes of Co. Kerry but even that did not prepare us for the fantastic view from the lounge of Shaminir.

We were met by Joyce and Tony who showed us to our lovely room, which also had delightful views of their gardens - and after several hours enjoying the hospitality of Kenmare had possibly the best nights sleep ever.

To wake up to a traditional cooked breakfast, with that view again from the beautiful dining room. Bliss.

We will be back...

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
washington dc
Reviewed 14 May 2009

I agree with the review "Rude Host Spoiled Our Stay" - when we arrived, the owner (Tony) had been driving behind us as we made our way to the B&B. I will admit, I am not the best driver, and having been in Ireland only 3 days, I hadn't mastered driving on the left side of the road yet. When we walked through the day, he started razzing me about my driving. Which would have been fine for 10-15 seconds...he kept at it for about 2 minutes. Had we not been so exhausted, I would have left and found a different B&B to stay at that evening. The B&Bs we had stayed at the prior to evenings and everyone else we had encountered on our trip so far were delightful. Shaminir...not so much. The room itself was nice...but I was completely put off by the rude owner, and would recommend spending your money elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dctraveler12345
wigan
Reviewed 27 December 2008

This was just the most wonderfull place to stay, The views, the hospitality,the house just everything were great. We were only going to stay for one night when we arrived but after the first night we decided to stay for another three. We were made to feel so welcome . It was so peaceful and the views across to the other side The Ring of Kerry were wonderful. We will definately be going back there next year, just looking at our dates and thought l would write this review.

• Liked — The friendliness of the owners
  • Disliked — There was nothing l disliked
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank TMR21
Oakland, NJ
Reviewed 15 October 2008

Shaminir does have a spectacular view, at least from the sitting room, no exaggeration there. And it started out OK. We arrived at the specified time and were cordially greeted by Joyce who showed us the dining area, the sitting room, and our bedroom. We went back into town for dinner, and when we returned we brought guidebooks and brochures into the sitting room to plan our next day.

The sitting room had some after-dinner drinks and glasses set out, so we each had a drink. We're thinking it's a nice amenity, but nothing unusual, since we've been to other B&B's in the States that did the same thing. About 15 minutes later a man stops at the doorway and says, "Did you help yourself?" So even though he never introduced himself, I figure he must be Tony. I thought he was about to say something like, "Good, glad you found it." But he says, "And you didn't have the courtesy to ask?" Shakes his head, gives us disgusted look and walks away.

We were dumbfounded. At any of the many other B&Bs we've been to, if something is put out in a common sitting room, it's there for the guests. We had helped ourselves to drinks that were set out on a platter with glasses in the sitting room that we were told to use. It's not like we went rifling through a cabinet or into a room in the family area. But we were made to feel like we got caught with our hands in the cookie jar. It made breakfast the next morning very awkward and uncomfortable.

We were even more amazed that the host had the audacity to upbraid us for a mistake that resulted from a confusing situation of his own making. You see guests mistakenly helping themselves? Hold your tongue and move your stuff. Put things you don't want guests to use in a room where guests don't go. Simple, end of problem. Or at very least, tactfully explain that it was not intended for guests. No need to embarrass your guests and create animosity.

Americans are used to a high standard of service. If something looks like you're trying to go the extra mile to distinguish yourself from the competition, that's what we're going to assume. But sadly that was not the case at Shaminir.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — host's attitude
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank OnlyNameNotTaken
Tony5021, OWNER at Shaminir B&B, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
We do offer extras to guests without charge, but DO take exception to STEALING.
The drinks were in our own private lounge, that the guests were using to watch our T.V.
It was just as well that we had not left out the keys to our JAGUAR car, or they would have helped themselves to that as well,
without asking !!!