My family (mom, dad, brother) and I stayed with Sam & Sheila (& Casper the dog) on June 2- June 5. We checked in later than expected, but it was no problem. Sam & Sheila were soft-spoken but absolutely accommodating.
The stay was splendid and I could type a book, but I'm going to break it down into points so I stay concise.
- Breakfast was superb: you can mix and match to create the breakfast you want. I recommend the traditional breakfast. Need less food? Go for the poached eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and salmon.
- Sam & Sheila seem reserved, but they are incredibly helpful when asked. I'd prefer quiet hosts to overbearing ones.
- The beds are incredibly comfortable.
- They let us use the fridge for our beer and leftovers... even helped rearrange so we could fit everything.
- There's parking out front.
- There's plenty of natural light and mirrors for those who need places to get ready. The windowsills also function great for doing makeup.
- There are plenty of electrical sockets in the rooms (none in the bathrooms... that's different for Americans but you'll get used to it.)
- There is plenty of wardrobe space and hangers.
- The water pressure and temperature is awesome. In fact, you have to be sure not to turn the pressure on too high or it might knock you over.
- The towel racks are heated.
- It's quiet, calm and clean without being pretentious or stuffy.
- It's only a 5 minute drive max from the heart of Kenmare. Be sure to go to O Donnabhains Bar... Sam & Sheila will recommend it to you like they did for us. Great food, great music, great beer.
- It's an excellent point for daytime excursions- like the Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry and Ring of Bere.
Sam & Sheila are excellent hosts, and Forgefield House is an excellent place to stay. I recommend it over a hotel (or another b&b) any day.
Thanks for the wonderful stay!
-the traveling Texans
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our home is set in some of the most scenic areas around Kenmare. All rooms are individually furnished with personal comfort in mind. There are 2 family en-suites with super king beds, 1 en-suite king bed, 1 double, & 1 twin with shared bathroom. There is also TV, hospitality tray, slippers, and hairdryer in each room. We offer a wide choice of traditional or continental breakfast which can be eaten on our lovely elevated deck with stunning views weather permitting. ... more less