“Lovely food”

The Atlantic Bar
Ranked #27 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Bar
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I eat in this pub two nights. Each night we both had excellent meals and pints. He had beef and chicken and I had baked and fried fish. Both nights we had a fine size dinner, we are both big eaters and don't tend to go to restaurant for the design on the plate, we like food. The fish was so fresh it taste like it was just caught and cooked. The meat was so tender and tasty.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

There was no music the night we ate there but they had a good 10 oz. sirloin steak with a simple salad and fries for €14.95. The other choice was 2scoops of mash and mixed steamed vegetables. They looked good but I just couldn't eat that much. The steak came with a choice of peppercorn sauce or garlic butter. Both were good. Most in the pub were locals and the owners children arrived while we were eating. They seemed right at home with the locals. An. ,I. i. other couple asked if they could eat from the lunch menu even though it was supper time and they had no problem with that.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

To be fair to The Atlantic Bar we didn't eat here - because they don't serve food on Sunday evenings. Fair enough, we went along to the dancing though, on the recommendation of our host. It started at 21.30 so we had a drink in the front bar - no problems, good service and beer and trooped into the back room for the start of the dancing.

I'm sorry that this is negative as I did really want to enjoy it (had a Ceilidh for my 60th birthday) but I found I had travelled back in time to the 60s and 70s working men's clubs of Yorkshire. I also didn't like the damp smell of a room used once a week - fusty and it sticks to your clothes and hair. Maybe this is unfair but it's just how it is.

We were told by our host that the Atlantic Bar dancing was a love or hate thing (Marmite springs to mind) and the locals were certainly enjoying it. If you like waltzing, a polka or similar then I think you would like this, it was non-stop action.

Not for me, sorry.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We didn't eat at the Atlantic Bar, but stopped by for the music on Sunday night. There was a duo in the back bar playing traditional Irish music and the locals there were dancing. It was so local and different from the usual pubs.

1  Thank artistJoan
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stopped in for the Irish breakfast. Food was great and the service very friendly and accomodating.