“Charming Hotel Could Use Some Minor Upkeep”
Review of Park Hotel Kenmare

and 1 more site!
Park Hotel Kenmare
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I spent three nights here in June. The location is second-to-none, and the grounds and facilities are generally outstanding. I do have a couple of quibbles. First, with respect to facilities: I overheard one of the staff telling another guest that the hotel had seen severe rainstorms earlier in the year, and that they found the building leaking in places where leaks had never been seen before. My room showed some evidence of this, with wallpaper beginning to peel in places, and one or two small water stains on the ceiling. Unrelated to the water-intrusion issue, I found the décor of the bathroom to be a bit dated. My second quibble relates to service. The service, when provided, was perfectly gracious. The front desk was exceptional in recommending and helping to book activities. But on several occasions, I was hoping for a drink before dinner, swung by the bar, and found no one tending it. In fact, throughout my whole stay I never saw anyone behind the bar. I don't mean to focus on the negatives; because my experience was, on the whole, wonderful. And maintaining such an old building is, I'm sure, a Sisyphean endeavor. I would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel. But I can't quite bring myself to give it a five star rating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Daniel M

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We would not have even considered a 5 star resort except that it was so peaceful and beautiful we splurged and had the best time, albeit for one night. We were treated to what I would have to describe as the best room in the place, dead center and on the top floor offering us the most beautiful view of the Kenmare River and the manicured lawns and gardens. The service was impeccable and the breakfast delightful. Once again we had the best seats in the house and when we mentioned that the coffee was a bit weak, they quickly brought a pot with a more robust blend. They even washed our car windshield so we could have a better view of the Irish countryside. You only live once and this was worth experiencing!

Room Tip: We were given Room #308 and it was the most perfect suite with the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wwubbly
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was in this hotel for Afternoon Tea as part of a hen party of 20 girls. The food was lovely, simple and tasty as it should be. There were 2 coeliacs in our party. When the bridesmaids went to pay, they were rudely told that the charge would be for 22 people as there was 2 'extra' plates put out for the coeliacs. There was 20 people paying E25 each for the afternoon tea and then to ask to pay for 22 was a disgrace. The hotel made a large profit on a Saturday afternoon at 1pm without being mean and trying to get an extra E50. John Brennan knocked off 1 but the party of 20 still paid for 21 people. I wouldn't be returning for afternoon tea here again, especially if you have a coeliac (or perhaps another dietry requirement) in your group.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank Sinead T
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Had lunch with 6 adults, a 6 month old and 2 toddlers. Waitress we had was very extremely helpful and accommodating. Quality of the food was of a high standard and very tasty, (especially the tiger prawn dish). The fresh scones, homemade lemon biscuits, the cheeseboard and strawberries were delicious. It was a very relaxing afternoon and we never felt rushed. We even got a photo with Francis :-) Will be back and definitely would recommend.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank lemon1975
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Beautiful Facility and Grounds...our room was lovely (and larger than expected)...and the EVERYONE working there took such pride and ownership of the operations. We were so lovingly taken care of.

I think many people pass up staying in Kenmare for the larger town north...we found Kenmare charming and had no lack of interesting conversations with the permanent residents.

The hotel is located a long driveway from the center of town.

Can't say enough good things about this establishment.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lisa s
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Well worth the hard work that it took to earn the money that it cost to stay here.

The hotel, grounds, food, rooms & staff are great.

The spa is advertised as being number 2 in Europe. I was a bit sceptical about who voted but now I'm wondering which is number 1 because the Park Kenmare is way ahead of great spas like Inchadonney and Hotel Europe etc.

It is now my favourite hotel.

I can't wait to come back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank checktwice
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Had a really lovely break in the hotel. All meals were tasty and very enjoyable. As all reviews have mentioned the staff were attentive. Sadly the sofa couch was so uncomfortable. Much sleep was needed once home again.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Freshblue1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Sheen Falls Lodge
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Park Hotel Kenmare? Share your experiences!