Park Hotel Kenmare
US$135
US$127
TripAdvisor
Very Good 4/5
All reviewssamas spathermal suitebrennan brothersterrace restaurantinfinity poolold worldrelaxation roomfine diningfour poster bedbar managertop classluxury hoteldeluxe roomantique furnituresteam roomsconesdrawing room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 October 2008

We spent 3 nights at the PHK. We had an awesome room looking directly over the herb garden and horse field, with a continuing view of the river and mountains. Our room had a nice sized bathroom (shower a bit tight but worked well), nice sized sleeping area, and very spacious (sunken) living room area with couch and two sitting chairs. The room had a small flat panel TV/DVD and good WIFI connection. If you like an older feeling small hotel then this is the place for you. The place is filled with antique furniture and the floors creak as you walk through the hall. The hotel is very spacious. We enjoyed sitting in the lounge and having a drink before dinner. We found the service excellent and everyone had a great attitude. We ate in the dining room two nights and found the food good. The service in the dining room was excellent. We bought a package which included two days in the spa. It was a three hour spa package for each day. Basically the first hour is 'self-service' where you can use the sauna, steam room, massage shower, and hot massage pool. Then 1 hour of massage of your choice, then 1 hour in the Relaxation Room. Both my wife and I enjoyed it. We would definitely go back to this hotel. Our package also included either biking riding or horseback riding. We did horseback riding which was from a stable about a 10 minute drive away. We rode for 1 hour. The first 15 minutes were on the road, the next 1/2 hour was on the beach / water and the last 15 minutes was through some fields. We had a great time. The horses were very gentle.

In town we ate at the Purple Heather pub which has good lunch food. We also ate at Foley's pub which had OK food. Guiness was good in all.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2008

I have, today, returned form a couple of days in the Park. My first impression was that it was more akin to a grand country house than a luxury hotel.The welcome was pleasant and I was shown to my room. I must say that it was quite small, as was the bathroom, and both were in need of refurbishment. There were lovely antiques in the room, but almost too many- so that if there was a second person in the room it would have been difficult to move around. I was surprised that there was no room safe or a hospitality tray; thought there was bottled water, cd player (with cds) and tv/dvd player.

This hotel prides itself on the "Samas" experience; so my expectations were high as I made my way to the spa area. However, though the staff was friendly, I found the experience sadly lacking. The first part of the 3 hour experience involves the laconium, steam room, showers and infinity pool. Whilst these were pleasant, the area was very small and did not offer the range of facilities that other spas do. Also, much of the glass was dirty and it is quite obvious as one is relaxing and looking out the windows etc. The treatment itself was lovely. I enjoyed the massage and was pleased that the therapist applied the pressure I requested. The relaxation room was lovely, though somewhat institutional with 2 rows of beds. Also, all of the reading material available there related to diet, exercise, new bodies etc.....what about those of us who just wanted to chill out and read rubbish!!! I enjoyed being able to choose my own music channel; and the headphones meant that I was not disturbed by anyone coming into the relaxation room. I must say that the "experience" is completely overpriced at 145; particularly when one considers that most spas offer complimentary use of the thermal suite and relaxation area to those having a treatment over 60 euro or so. The door to the spa was locked and one had to be "coded" in, something which did not particularly appeal to me. In general, I think that the spa needs to be updated to reflect the fact that many hotels now offer this feature and that many other hotels do it better.

Dinner was fine, nothing outstanding, but very enjoyable with impeccable service. I retired at 915 and slept soundly. The next day I enjoyed yoga and meditation classes, which were fantastic. I also had a wonderful walk through the woods, just to the rear of the house. The sun shone during my stay -an unexpected bonus.
My second night was not as comfortable,as the rooms on either side of me were occupied and it became increasingly apparant that soundproofing is poor in the house. I could hear everything from drawers being opened to mobile phones beeping to guests peeing in the bathrooms. I did not sleep well as a result and left after breakfast the next morning.

Perhaps there are better rooms in the Park. I did book rather late, so perhaps there was limited availability. However, I did feel that, for what I got, it was overpriced- particularly when I compare it to the likes of the Merrion, Rathsallagh,or even Echo Lodge though it has no spa.

The saving grace, for me, was the service. In all, if I had expected a 4 star luxury country house, I would have been pleased. As it was, I was a little disappointed in this 5 star luxury hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank TravelerCool
Reviewed 26 September 2008

My sister and I just returned from our third annual stay at the Park Kenmare. We went the first year because we were impressed with Spa Finder's take on the Samas Spa at the hotel.

First off, let me say the spa is one of the best we have ever visited. From the cleanliness to the relaxing room to the attendants and treatments, everything is just perfect. You begin your visit in the dressing room, complete with every amenity you could want and are then directed to the thermal suite, where you can relax in a dry sauna or wet sauna, cool yourself off at the ice fountain and refresh yourself in the rainshower with its many feels and aromas. Next you take your treatment with expert technicians, wonderful rooms and smells and are then taken to the relaxing room which overlooks a virgin wooded area. You can put on your headphones for a variety of music or just simply listen to the sounds of nature, breeze rustling leaves and birds chirping. Your attendant will bring you juice, water and sometimes a piece of fresh fruit. After you have been completely immersed in the spa experience, you can end your visit in the infinity pool, a large warm pool with several jetted areas for different parts of your body and an amazing view. There is a men's side of the spa and a women's, the pool in between. There is also a couples suite.

The hotel staff is very welcoming, the owners on site much of the time and the building simply oozes the old world charm. One nice touch is when they park your car, they wash the windscreen. Check in is easy, a seated transaction rather than standing at a reception desk as in modern hotels and your bags will be waiting once finished. Ours were actually at our room already when we got there.

We opt for a suite close to the spa and although the walk is a little confusing, there are signs pointing you back to reception, or to the spa. Our room this year had a terrrace overlooking the pond. It was furnished with wicker chairs and table and was a great place for later afternoon wine and cheese. The room furnishings are antique, which we love and very comfortable. TV service is better than the usual Irish country fare, with SKY and BBC among others. The bed linens are fabulous, and the pillows are amazing. The baths are well equipped with both shower and tub and great sample products.

Our two night stay included dinner in the restaurant which was very good. Staff is very attentive, cordial and humorous. The wine list is excellent and the food definitely five star. This is a change for the better in the three years we've visited. Every year it has gotten better. We usually have breakfast in our room, so have never visited the morning room, but our room service is very prompt, the food hot and as ordered and extremely good.

The only warning I have for future visitors is that the Park Kenmare IS an old hotel. Do not expect chic, sleek rooms or hallways. Do expect antique furniture, creaky floors, hallway mazes and awesome views. Take a walk on the grounds, be sure to visit the pubs on Henry Street and schedule at least one service from the spa. You won't be disappointed. Kenmare is a wonderful welcoming village, the hotel is a retreat from the busy world and the spa leaves you completely in tune with your body and nature.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Cuileann8
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Had often passed by the Park and was determined to stay eventually. When we did, we were suitably impressed, worth the wait! From the very friendly greeting at the door (by a local, a lot of the staff are - increasingly rare for Ireland) to the lovely room overlooking the garden, it was a great first impression. Our room was lovely and bright, had a separate room and relaxation area (couch, coffee table). The creaky floors and lots of antiques around the place gave a very nice charm to the place.
Dinner in the restaurant was impeccable, sommelier was excellent, courses well presented and cooked. Breakfast was equally decadent, with an extensive choice of food.
Yes it was expensive, but having stayed in its rival 12 months previously, Sheen Falls, there is no comparison (the latter being a soulless 90's building, overlooking the falls granted, but nothing special)
The spa was also excellent, and the pool fabulous, just a bit of a trek! WIll save up to go back!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thedarkone
Reviewed 26 August 2008

stayed for 3 nights, fabulous hotel. expensive, but definately one of the best service hotels ever in ireland. staff, all fantastic. culd not do enough for us. there were 7 in our party, including grandparents & teenagers, so evreyone was well looked after. food - too good, you could put on serious weight here!!
scenery/setting amazing. rooms: very old world, beautifully furnished.
Spa: a little dissapointing: kids not very welcome in pool area, you had to be having a treatment (which was impossible to get) to use the facilities.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family