“Perfect location and great hospitality”

White Heather Farmhouse
Brisbane
“Perfect location and great hospitality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here on our trip Ireland. We loved the rural setting- my daughter went for long rambles during the twilight. It was a perfect location for exploring the wonders around Kenmare with a very congenial hostess.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Heather M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

White Heather Farm enjoys an enviable position in the beautiful green countryside between Kenmare in County Kerry and Glengariff in County Cork - the perfect base for exploring this fabulous corner of the Emerald Isle, steeped as the region is in both history and pre-history...for only a short walk down the road is the new heritage centre at Bonane, with its stone circle and hill-fort and in the opposite direction is Kenmare itself. All around you is a very real sense of culture, of connection with the land itself.

And welcoming me on arrival with a nice cup of coffee was Sheila Lovett, an excellent hostess, kind and friendly and an expert at providing lovely breakfasts (which will more than prepare you for any serious exploring you might be looking forward to). My room, the bed and indeed all the facilities were spot on. The surrounding country is incredible; the variety of flora and fauna almost overwhelming. A magical place.

The only thing I didn't like was leaving. I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank tadhg o
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

This was my first stay at a farmhouse B & B, and I felt very pampered. I arrived mid-afternoon and was warmly greeted by Sheila with coffee and delicious tea breads. That's the kind of attention to detail that I like.

The views at the front of the property are really quite nice, and I liked that it was a working farm (no cow smell, though!) There's a hen house off to the side, and it was fun watching the chickens strut their stuff. Their eggs made a nice breakfast treat -- there's nothing quite like the taste of fresh eggs straight from the farm!

I found the beds comfy, the bathrooms spacious and clean, and the whole accommodation very nice. I also like the way it was laid out. I have my hair dryer and curling iron, and I like to have an outlet near the mirror. Not all B & B owners understand this. Sheila really does 'get it'.

When I got home that night from Molly Gallivan's Amercan Homecoming (just down the road and a must see and do), the room was toasty warm. Sheila had even put a hot water bottle between the sheets to warm my bed. Now that is pampering at its best!

Sheila's been in the business for forty years and has seen the different incarnations B & Bs have been required to maintain. It's interesting to hear what it took back then, and what it takes now to garner a four star rating. I've always been very satisfied with three star B & Bs. I think Sheila does very well!

White Heather is an easy five minute drive into Kenmare, which has a lot to offer. Wednesday mornings there is a farmer's market in town. The Heritage Center is near the Kenmare Lace and Design Centre, which has a fabulous display of the world famous Kenmare Lace.

Gleninchiquin Park is nearby and a great place to walk. Just down the road is Molly Gallivan's, as I mentioned, and also the Bonane Heritage Park. All three are definitely worth your time.

I recommend Sheila's White Heather as a comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank TravelGuidesForWomen
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

We were a group of 8 friends - we stayed for 2 nights last week. Sheila was a good host and very warm. The experience of being on a farm made it unique as well. Overall a homely experience & one that I would recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rajsanyal
Flagler Beach, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

We arrived in Kenmare and went to other B&B's which were higher on our list of choices. All were full and White Heather Farmhouse had availability. The farm is quite a way out of the main town area. Rooms and bathrooms are adequate but nothing special. Sheila is a kind, delightful woman who tries to be as helpful as possible. She recommended a Chinese restaurant in town which we tried. It was the worst Chinese food we have ever had. Oh well......live and learn!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank dentist62
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

White Heather Farmhouse is a lovely place, with a pasture filled with cattle in front, a hen house to the side (which is where the breakfast eggs come from!), and a bountiful garden and mountain in the back. And Sheila was one of the nicest, warmest people I met in Ireland. We got an opportunity to have a once in a lifetime experience through a friend's relative, and I'm not sure who was more excited, us or Sheila! When we asked for advice on our travel plans, she was eager to help and advise on what plan made most sense considering the weather, roads, etc. The beds were soft and comfy and the breakfasts were delicious! I'm so glad that we got to stay there for several days.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

Stayed here for one night, we were greeted warmly with tea and scones. Very clean with nice rooms. Sheila was a great host, very helpful with our child and navigating the area. Great if you have kids who like animals, lots of sheep and cows.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family