“Fabulous Family New Years”
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Sheen Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We spent three fantastic nights in Sheen Falls to ring in the New Year and celebrate my parents 40th wedding anniversary. In total there were 13 of us. 9 adults and 4 children. My husband and I had a gorgeous suite consisting of two rooms overlooking the falls. The rooms were very spacious and cosy and the staff had everything arranged as requested to meet our needs travelling with a toddler. All our requests were delivered within 5 minutes of asking! I saw the rest of the groups rooms and they were all gorgeous!

The hotel had organised a lovely local lady to babysit for two evenings. She arrived with a bag full of books for the children and they loved her! The food at every meal was fantastic and the staff were very obliging allowing us all to take over the very comfortable, recently refurbished drawing room for lunch one day for an hour to keep the children contained! All in all we had a fantastic stay, and the NYE celebrations and meal were superb, as was the wine menu. Also, the bar staff made fantastic cocktails!

We will definitely be back and I am already looking forward to it!

Katie Killen Verdon

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Katie V,

Thank you for your very kind and detailed review of your stay with us this past New Year's Eve. Great to hear that you were impressed with our rooms and the team's service. Its always nice to hear that we have a promise of a return visit we look forward to seeing you once again please do drop us an email if you require any assistance.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 8 January 2014

There was a group of five couples stayed in the hotel for two nights mid November 2013. All the staff where very polite and friendly. The rooms where very well laid out with or beds turned down the first night. We went in to Kenmare for our dinners ( bit of a regret, dinner menu looked fabulous), Notting against the hotel food but this was prearranged well before we arrived. Breakfast was spectacular each morning and so was the afternoon tea for two.
we came back late one night and got talking to the night porter, what a gentleman, full of information and would go out of his way help out. He was full of chatter which I enjoyed, not a grumpy old man like I meet in other hotels.
If you're going in to Kenmare for dinner No.35 or the lime tree are the places to go, all I can say about their food is WOW.
Overall brilliant weekend made a lot nicer by the choice of hotel.
Thanks
we will be back

Room Tip: Relax in the lobby in front of the open fire.And take a walk around the area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mickmac18
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear MickMac 18,

Delighted to read that you all had such a great time with us. My colleagues are a really excellent group of professionals and always strive to please. Its wonderful to know you enjoyed your meals with us and that you were able to sample the local restaurants also we are really lucky here in Kenmare with a particularly rich food culture.

I look forward to welcoming you back once again in 2014

General Manager,

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at sheen falls prior to New Years. On arrival we had to request to be checked in having stood at the reception desk for some time trying to grab the attention of the staff. I must say once we got the staffs attention they were helpful. This set the theme for our stay we asked for tea in our room it arrived 5 hours later. The spa/ pool is fine nothing above a local leisure centre. We had a suite which was large but tired and drab only saving grace was the nesspreso machine. Breakfast was nice although we had to request our tea 5 times before it arrived, and items such as the pastrys were not replenished so when they were gone that was it. Over all we were disappointed with our stay, i would only recommend staying if you got a very keen deal which unfortunately we did not. The finish of the rooms and services is not deserving of 5 star prices.

4  Thank Ladystylista

Dear Ladystylista,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Unfortunately you did not enjoy your stay as much as one would hope or expect. I am sorry that you had such an experience; I was not aware during your time with us of your discomfort and had I known I would have liked to have been of some assistance. I am grateful for your constructive feedback if you email me directly I would be happy to go through all details with you by email or by phone.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Having made a reservation for New Year's Eve, we were informed a few days later that there were three sittings for the New Year eve's dinner and only the 6.30 sitting available, we should have been informed of this when we made our reservation. Limited choice on menu ,food and dining room cold. Not five star- but five star prices, Hotel setting beautiful,rooms opulent and cosy and breakfast very nice. No extra effort made for a New Year Eve's event you could be anywhere. Having stayed there before we were very disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alice M

Dear Alice M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay. Regrettably the celebration dinner was to as you had expected and I am sorry for that. I am pleased however that the other elements of your stay were enjoyable.

We did have a number of sittings on New Year's Eve all guests were asked to select a time at the confirmation stage of their bookings, most guests availed of the variety of times. In the week leading up to NYE we did have to contact those that had still not chosen a time and you would have been given a choice of two times a late time at 9.30 and an early time at 6.30 again guests responded and choose a time. A few people did not respond so our next communication was to inform clients that we had reserved them the 6.30 sitting. On NYE we had 150 persons dining and it would have been impossible to run the event without sitting times.

I will take your comments as a very useful guide to planning future events here at Sheen Falls Lodge. I note from your votes that all other elements of your stay including cleanliness, service, rooms, location all scored very well so I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back again in the future. Perhaps you might be able to email me directly and we could discuss further your experience and see about welcoming you back to Kenmare.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights after Christmas and despite some errors feel that the experience deserves four stars due to the friendly staff both in front and back of house. Try to snag one of the large, well appointed rooms with a view of the falls. You can open up the bottom section of the casement fenestration and enjoy room service overlooking the torrents of river water while contemplating your priviliged however brief existence living it up!
It certainly is the life surrounded by wonderful walks, calm hospitality, interesting shops and pubs in the nearby town complimented by good health facilities in the lodge albeit with undoubtedly the strangest swimming pool in Christendom. The tiered dining room is spacious but the dinner menu suffers from repetition and the wine list either fails to arrive or they have run out of copies. The bar is elegantly designed but the adjoining rooms offer the best atmosphere for an apertif due to the bartender's tendency to noisily lob empty bottles from a good five yards away into the holding bin. These gaffes and minor others are always due to poor or lack of management and no doubt the buyout consortium's cost cutting is responsible for this essential ingredient.
In conclusion, a good investment with a high rate of return!

2  Thank foghornleghorn68

Dear Foghornleghorn68,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us its nice to know that overall you enjoyed your visit and found your time with us to be enjoyable. I hope that we can welcome you back further into our renovation of the property .

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I recently stayed there with my parents-in-law for a New Year 2 night break. The sales department contacted my husband many times before departure to confirm our choices with regard to rooms (view of the falls) and massages for my parents in law. The reception staff on arrival had one room ready at 12.00 and told us that the second room next door was been done up. We were delighted as we had not expected to be able to check in until at least 2pm. At 3.45pm we eventually got the key for the second room and my husband was furious as he had to visit reception constantly without any satisfaction. I suspect that they had promised the room to another party and were trying to get us to move. The rooms were dated and in need of repair which I hope is carried out during the months closure in January. The shower in my parents-in-laws room was leaking and the ceiling looked as if it would fall down. The hot tap in our room came off in my hand and the seal to the balcony was broken so the noise was loud and cold near it. Reception staff continued to be unhelpful and somewhat rude throughout the stay. The poor at the spa was freezing cold and there was not any time allocated to child free time. Be sure to print your booking in detail they tried to charge us an extra 50 euro for the massages on some pretext but when my husband showed them the printed confirmation they took it off. The bar staff were excellent and very helpful. I was disappointed that the restaurant staff allowed children to run around constantly during breakfast screaming and shouting - my father-in-law was stressed by the noise and we could not hear one another. The food on New Years Eve night was terrible and many others agreed with us when asked at the hotel. When I asked if something could be done for this they said it could not. Surely the hide and seek game around the restaurant is a health and safety risk if nothing else. I was surprised that the children in the hotel took priority over guests which had paid to have a stress free, relaxing stay. At 23.55 we all had to listen again to an 11 year old sing out of tune for the 3rd time to the delight of her family. Many of the guests near us were furious at the constant intrusion of children throughout the stay. Overall, I would have preferred to have stayed at the Park Hotel only that their New Years eve celebration was a black tie affair which did not suit my father-in-law. I hope that the new group owners can rectify the problems at this hotel as the location is incredible.

Room Tip: Rooms with view of the falls are fabulous but be careful that hotel staff don't try to trick you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Global_travellers2,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us over the New Year's period. Clearly you were disappointed with your experience and this is most regrettable.

Upon arrival at 12 noon my colleague Danielle brought you immediately to one of your rooms which we had ready. As you had requested 2 rooms side by side overlooking the falls she explained that the second room was not yet ready as the room was only just about to be vacated and she would contact you as soon as it became available. Given your confirmed rooming requirements we did not offer an alternative room or ask you to change rooms; had you wished to check into another available room we would have accommodated you.

We always try to ensure all of our guests have a wonderful experience, however we do not get things right 100% of the time but if we ever fall short we welcome the feedback. Ideally it is always a good idea to let the hotel know while you are there, if things are not to your liking and then we can act and remedy any issues. I know that during your stay we met on five occasions at the desk, in the lobby and in the bar - and during your meal on NYE my colleagues were at your table on three occasions checking on proceedings ensuring that your specified dietary requirements were met and that you were enjoying yourselves - each time we were told that everything was fine or good thank you. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I know that had these issues been brought to our attention during your time with us we could have endeavoured to improve upon things for you.

We do have children's times for our pool however on the 31st I did extend this by one hour as the weather was quite bad and I thought it would be best for all if the children we had staying had this to occupy them. In all we had as many as 12 children in house over the NYE program. They had lots of fun and enjoyed their stay.

Should you wish to I would like to perhaps have a short chat with you to see if we can welcome you back to the Beara side of Kenmare once more. My contact details are attached.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a huge, sprawling resort...in the middle of a soft furnishings re-hab. The lobby and satirway are beautiful and modern, but then you turn down a dark hallway to your room. the room itself is nice, beds are soft and the bathroom is wonderful. We went in search of food- had we known that our hotel had the best food in town we definitely would have stayed there! In the off season there is very little open in the evenings in Kenmare. we ended up at a pub for a mediocre dinner and went back to the hotel. Once back we noticed the restaurant and a quick review of the menu had us disappointed we had ever left! we were able to sneak in without a reservation (there were only about a dozen cars in the lot) for appetizers and dessert- and it was some of the best food of our trip. DEFINITELY book the dinner option if you're coming here, and dress appropriately, this is not your typical hotel dining room!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christynbj

Dear Christynbj,

Thank you for your really great comments on your stay with us last month. I must admit being very pleasantly surprised by the great remarks you have given us as your headline & bubble count were deceiving! Glad to read you enjoyed our food most of all your trip the guys always try to do a good job.

I hope you had a pleasant journey home and the inclement weather was not too much of a problem to you.

Hope we get to welcome you back again in the future.

phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Brook Lane Hotel
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#14 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!