“Beautiful venue for a wedding”
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Sheen Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding in December and the weather, setting and all the gorgeous Christmas decorations and trees scattered all around the hotel, all added to the magic of a Xmas wedding. My only issue was how outdated the room was. The taps on the sink were not attached properly, the bath water came out brown and dirty and then the plug didn't work properly so it kept draining away. However, all the staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and friendly. I would recommend to stay here, but have a shower instead of a bath ! I would totally recommend as a wedding venue as the wedding was absolutely gorgeous as was all the food etc and I know most of that was down to the staff at the hotel!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear SamanthaFord,

Many thanks for your very kind review of your stay with us during Christmas - Delighted that our many Christmas trees and the festive mood created at the lodge were to your liking - with almost 30 trees around the house its a great Christmas venue. Its nice to read how impressed you were by my colleagues and their warmth when you are next with us we will have all our rooms finished and you will enjoy the new look which has been really well received

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Returned to Sheen Falls for a weekend of plushness and pampering but experienced neither this time. A hotel close to a waterfall in more ways than one. Poor attitude from staff, cold rooms, cold food and no one cared!

Kenmare was bustling and very Christmassy and with great restaurants so we made the best of that.....

Room Tip: Choose a room with the view of the falls.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Oliver848

Dear Oliver

I am sorry to read that your experience was not as you had expected. It would be great to speak/email with you and get a handle on the details of how you felt let down - perhaps you will respond to my contact details below to further this.

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I'm already looking forward to heading back down soon! We stayed 4 nights in total over new years and everything was absolutely amazing.
The staff are lovely and so chatty. The room as always was fabulous! We had an amazing view of the falls from our room, which was beautifully lit at night time.....very romantic indeed. The food on New Year's Eve was truly so tasty. I have been raving about the consommé in particular!! Definitely a 5 star establishment with a warm cosy atmosphere!!
Thanks again for everything.

2  Thank M0mL2013

Dear MOml2013,

Thank you for your truly lovey review of your stay with us over the New Years break - we are all delighted that you had such a great time with us. Chef is chuffed you enjoyed the consomme. Its great to know you will be returning to us we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Spent 3 very enjoyable nights in Sheen Falls over new years with my family (13 of us in all including kids) and loved every minute of it. Our room which was beautiful, overlooking the falls, with a nespresso machine, unbelievably comfortable bed and plenty of space to lounge about. The hotel had a lovely festive and cosy feel about it which was great considering the weather wasn't the best outside!

All the staff were great, smiling, friendly and helpful. The food was delicious - each morning I'd wake up faced with the decision of whether to go for the eggs benedict, the bacon butty or stretch to the full Irish - borrow one of the hotels bikes and work it off!

We had a wonderful time cycling about the hills and countryside around Kenmare. The hotel's location is amazing and Kenmare is a gorgeous town. It was always so nice however arriving back to Sheen Falls from the cold to roaring fires, pots of tea, club sandwiches and a steam and a sauna!

NYE was great - we had a delicious dinner and there was a great atmosphere at the bar and the adjoining rooms afterwards ringing in the new year.

The hotel has a very warm and homely feel, the staff made us feel very welcomed and I was sorry to leave after 3 nights.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Ireland Andrew,

Thank you for your really great review - we truly appreciate all the nice observations you have had on your stay. Kenmare is a wonderful place to take a bike and get into the hillsides such as "The Sheen Valley". Looking forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We spent three fantastic nights in Sheen Falls to ring in the New Year and celebrate my parents 40th wedding anniversary. In total there were 13 of us. 9 adults and 4 children. My husband and I had a gorgeous suite consisting of two rooms overlooking the falls. The rooms were very spacious and cosy and the staff had everything arranged as requested to meet our needs travelling with a toddler. All our requests were delivered within 5 minutes of asking! I saw the rest of the groups rooms and they were all gorgeous!

The hotel had organised a lovely local lady to babysit for two evenings. She arrived with a bag full of books for the children and they loved her! The food at every meal was fantastic and the staff were very obliging allowing us all to take over the very comfortable, recently refurbished drawing room for lunch one day for an hour to keep the children contained! All in all we had a fantastic stay, and the NYE celebrations and meal were superb, as was the wine menu. Also, the bar staff made fantastic cocktails!

We will definitely be back and I am already looking forward to it!

Katie Killen Verdon

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Katie V,

Thank you for your very kind and detailed review of your stay with us this past New Year's Eve. Great to hear that you were impressed with our rooms and the team's service. Its always nice to hear that we have a promise of a return visit we look forward to seeing you once again please do drop us an email if you require any assistance.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 8 January 2014

There was a group of five couples stayed in the hotel for two nights mid November 2013. All the staff where very polite and friendly. The rooms where very well laid out with or beds turned down the first night. We went in to Kenmare for our dinners ( bit of a regret, dinner menu looked fabulous), Notting against the hotel food but this was prearranged well before we arrived. Breakfast was spectacular each morning and so was the afternoon tea for two.
we came back late one night and got talking to the night porter, what a gentleman, full of information and would go out of his way help out. He was full of chatter which I enjoyed, not a grumpy old man like I meet in other hotels.
If you're going in to Kenmare for dinner No.35 or the lime tree are the places to go, all I can say about their food is WOW.
Overall brilliant weekend made a lot nicer by the choice of hotel.
Thanks
we will be back

Room Tip: Relax in the lobby in front of the open fire.And take a walk around the area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mickmac18
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear MickMac 18,

Delighted to read that you all had such a great time with us. My colleagues are a really excellent group of professionals and always strive to please. Its wonderful to know you enjoyed your meals with us and that you were able to sample the local restaurants also we are really lucky here in Kenmare with a particularly rich food culture.

I look forward to welcoming you back once again in 2014

General Manager,

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at sheen falls prior to New Years. On arrival we had to request to be checked in having stood at the reception desk for some time trying to grab the attention of the staff. I must say once we got the staffs attention they were helpful. This set the theme for our stay we asked for tea in our room it arrived 5 hours later. The spa/ pool is fine nothing above a local leisure centre. We had a suite which was large but tired and drab only saving grace was the nesspreso machine. Breakfast was nice although we had to request our tea 5 times before it arrived, and items such as the pastrys were not replenished so when they were gone that was it. Over all we were disappointed with our stay, i would only recommend staying if you got a very keen deal which unfortunately we did not. The finish of the rooms and services is not deserving of 5 star prices.

4  Thank Ladystylista

Dear Ladystylista,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Unfortunately you did not enjoy your stay as much as one would hope or expect. I am sorry that you had such an experience; I was not aware during your time with us of your discomfort and had I known I would have liked to have been of some assistance. I am grateful for your constructive feedback if you email me directly I would be happy to go through all details with you by email or by phone.

phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Brook Lane Hotel
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#14 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!