“Its 5 star, its quality but you pay for it…..” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Sheen Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Cork, Ireland
“Its 5 star, its quality but you pay for it…..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had occasion to spend 3 nights at this luxury hotel. From the very start one knows you will be very well looked after and it was not disappointing.
We enjoyed both restaurants and the atmosphere was very relaxing.
We had a deluxe room which is actually a Suite, it was huge , very comfortable with a huge bed and everything to make you enjoy your stay, even had a Nespresso coffee machine in the suite.
Breakfast was a treat , good selection with friendly staff all over.
Only down side is the bar and restaurant prices are far too high. They actually sting they are so expensive. Yes it is a 5 star quality hotel but the beverage prices do not have to be extortion . I would return only for a treat……………….

Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for bed and breakfast last night. We booked through Supervalu getaway breaks and it was a steal! I was worried we might get a poorer quality room because we were on a valu break.
My husband reassured me that there are no poor quality rooms at Sheenfalls [he was one of the contractors that worked on the renovations many years back] The staff were lovely, the room was excellent and the breakfast was top class. Our room overlooked the river with a little balcony to sit out and take the view. I would suggest the addition of a very small table to put a coffee on while guests relax outside. I enjoyed my night of 5 star accommodation, but couldn't afford to stay without a concession...

Room Tip: I would say, any room is a good choice..
      Sleep Quality
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I got married in Sheenfalls last May. I have been meaning to write this review for some time but better late than never as Sheenfalls deserves the recognition. Our whole weekend was outstanding from start to finish. We both wanted something very special for our wedding and when we booked Sheenfalls we both knew it was perfect. In the finish it was beyond our expectations! We had beautiful photos taken in the immaculate grounds at Sheenfalls and overlooking the waterfall. We had a delious meal with all our guests in the beautiful La Cascade restaurant and continued the evening dancing in The Sun Lodge room. I cannot express how amazing the staff, food and service of the hotel were. All the staff made our guests feel so relaxed and comfortable. The following day we had a barbecue in Oscars and again the food and service was outstanding. All our guests were overwhelmed by the whole experience and are still talking about it today. Our guests left promising a return visit and my husband and I also cannot wait to return for a weekend again soon. Thank you to all the staff in Sheenfalls for beautiful memories for us to cherish forever. Lorraine and Antone

• Stayed May 2014
      Rooms
4 Thank meaneyL
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

It is said that the murderer returns to the scene as well as we would like to go to places where we were years ago felt very good.
When will evaluate our current stay, I'm glad we went to this place, even though you can not step twice into the same river. We were again beautifully even though we were about 15 years more mature.
The hotel staff was just as nice as all those years ago, and though I'm not an expert on human faces, many have worked there all those years ago. The restaurant will be about long-term problem, but in Kenmare is a lot of good restaurants not to die of hunger or gourmet and therefore we return.

1 Thank Ladislav V
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We travelled from Dublin to stay for two nights midweek with our newborn baby. I had heard so many positive comments about this hotel, and was really looking forward to our stay.
There are many positives about this hotel - the staff were just lovely, and so accommodating. The breakfast and dinner we had were delicious, and we hired a babysitter so we could go for dinner as a couple. Actually, I was given plenty of information about the babysitter before we arrived which was brilliant because I was nervous about leaving her for the first time. But they were very helpful with organising someone that they trusted. Other hotels I have stayed in since have left it up to me to organise the babysitting, and would just give a list rather than recommending someone, so I really appreciated this extra bit of help.
There weren't too many negatives about our stay, but I think my overall and lasting impression will be how dated our bedroom was and how disappointed I was with that. The bed was HUGE, I mean, absolutely huge! My husband and I could have laid width-ways across the bed and still have too much room. It may seem like a good thing, and certainly I like a bit of space in my bed, but this was ridiculous. And the decor was so old fashioned, I was really surprised at that. The shower I had on both days needed the water to run literally for about 7mins before any hot water arrived (VERY bad for the environment, I was acutely aware of that). But other than that the bathroom was nice and spacious.
To be honest, I'm not sure I would stay here again. It was really very far to come from Dublin for only two days, but I would like to reiterate that we did have a nice time, and the staff were lovely.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Freecakes
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Sheen Falls is guaranteed to give you an experience that is truly out of this world.

The location is spectacular and the lodge does everything to help guests discover it for themselves whether it be having drinks on the terrace right in front of the falls, afternoon tea overlooking the bay and falls, maximising the number of bedrooms that overlook the falls. It is impossible not to take in how breathtaking the surroundings are throughout your stay. We were lucky enough to stay in the Sheen Falls Suite on one occassion and the presidential suite on another and if you can at all manage it - I could not recommend those rooms higher. They are insane. I hear that the rest of the rooms are also completely fabulous. We had our wedding there and all of the guests raved about their rooms. Everybody made a point of telling us how much they loved the rooms, the sound of the falls in the morning as they were having their breakfast, the setting - it is just so different from anything they had experienced before.

The hotel itself has undergone a revamp in the last 12 months and every time we visit it seems to get better and better. Apparently the idea is to bring the outdoors indoors, empasise the Irish elements - from their food, beauty products, to the artwork throughout the hotel. I think that people from other countries would particularly enjoy these touches as it emphasises the uniqueness of the lodge.

The food is exceptional. And the town of Kenmare is renonwned for it's fabulous restaurants. It is definitely a mini foodie haven. It is missing an epic coffee shop though that serves some truly excellent coffee. I have not doubt that somebody will figure it out at some point though:-)

There are completely fabulous activities to keep you well entertained at Sheen Falls - the Tennis courts are beautifully situated overlooking the bay and there are beautiful trails, horseback riding etc that will keep you well entertained.

In terms of service - the staff at Sheen Falls could not have been more friendly, helpful and professional in any of the times we stayed there. We love coming to the Sheen Falls and very much look forward to our future visits - which we hope will be plentiful.

If you have a choice of where to stay on the ring of kerry - Sheen Falls is in a class of its own. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: It is actually difficult to get a bad room. We had our wedding here and we asked our guests what the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SerenaDolan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at thatched lodges with my family.clean spacious scenic surroundings.staff so friendly.celebrated my 40 th in style thanks to sheen falls.i left items of jewellery behind and when I rang sinead she was so very helpful and received them today.best time ever.jennifer

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Park Hotel Kenmare
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#3 of 39 in Killarney
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,301 reviews

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!