“Ridiculously tasty”

Ranked #8 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Fast food
Dining options: After-hours, Takeout
Description: "Kenmare, in Co Kerry, has its unfair share of places to eat, but you'll miss one of its finest attractions if you confine yourself to the restaurants that feature in guide books. Wharton's Traditional Fish & Chips, in the town centre, is a gem. My cod was encased in the finest, lightest batter, into which crushed black peppercorns had been incorporated. It was so fresh I swear I saw it twitch as it hit the oil. The chips are hand-cut from potatoes that are, amazingly, chosen for their "fryability". And they have cider vinegar if you fancy a change from the stuff you usually get in chippers..." Tom Doorley (Irish Times)
Reviewed 13 August 2014

So I'm in the Hotel Europe and get chatting to a lovely girl who tells me to check out Whartons while I'm in Bantry-my god-whatta recommendation!
I rarely enjoy a chipper but the fresh fish, light batter & the chunky, crunchy chips are in a different league. Whartons is a true taste of holidays. Just do it.

1  Thank PenEllis

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The fish was very fresh and tasted great, worth a visit. In my opinion it was highly priced for fish and chips but can't fault the taste and quality.

1  Thank Aaron K
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Limited choice of cod, hake or whiting but so fresh it was really good with a light batter. Friendly service.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We ate in the Bantry branch of Whartons a bright clean contemporary style restaurant.The service was excellent, prompt, efficient and friendly. The chips were cooked to perfection in clean oil and the fish portion was equally good, well prepared and tasty. An all round enjoyable experience.

1  Thank eonaLondon
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We go on and off as my parents have a house there. Amazing chips achieving the perfect balance between crispy and potato-y balance. Fish is caught morning of and everything made to order. Do good breast in bun too!

3  Thank Emma C