“could not have been better!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Muxnaw Lodge

and 1 more site!
Muxnaw Lodge
tangofocus
“could not have been better!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

Fab breakfast, stunning setting. Hannah was one of the first to offer B&B in Kenmare thirty or so years ago and yet she treated us with all the freshness and eagerness you would expect in a new place. She gets huge satisfaction from being sensitive to her guests and delivering the best quality in a relaxed and elegant setting. My daughter and I (and, I'm sure, her 3 year old son, too!) really appreciated our stay there and the magnificently high standard of Everything!! We're bound to return. Kenmare is gorgeous, also.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

I couldn't recommend Muxnaw Lodge enough - such a friendly and homely place to spend a couple of nights especially at the start your trip to this part of Ireland due to it's accessible location. The rooms are so spacious it was a delight to have a base to stretch out and relax after a day's exploring and it is just an easy 10 minute walk into the friendly nearby town which is packed with good pubs and places to eat. We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank penn123
naples, italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

We recently stayed at the Muxnaw Lodge during a week long road trip through Ireland. Initially I inquired about availability with another B&B in Kenmare. It was Easter weekend and the highly recommended B&B were all full. Fortunate for us, the owner recommended her neighbor , the Muxnaw Lodge and I was able to book a room. I really wasn't sure what to expect but had a wonderful impression of Hannah Boland (the owner) after our initial phone conversation. Aside from giving me the reservation, Hannah inquired regarding my itinerary and felt that it was overly ambitious with the small children. She asked me to not book any more hotels for the rest of the trip and just wait and see till I get to Kenmare. She would help me with the rest of the reservations after I get to Kenmare. Since I travel with small children, ages 4 and 6 and 9, I usually like to know we have a reservation before we embarked on our travels. However, I trusted Hannah and decided to wait and see.
The Muxnaw Lodge was an incredible home. Over 200 years old, it use to be a summer estate for a wealthy family that lived in Dublin. It is tastefully decorated with period furniture. Extremely spacious rooms with comfortable beds and unusually spacious bathrooms with huge tubs compare to European Standards. The grounds were nicely menicured. The garden was extremely spacious and my boys spent hours playing outside with chickens that provided fresh eggs Hannah used for our breakfast and the neighbor's dog who belong to the first B&B that I had called earlier. There are several marble plaques on the grounds that had Irish Poetry engraved on it. It overlooked Kenmare River and the beautiful countryside. The dining room was elegant. Breakfast was served in generous portions and Hannah used fine china. The portions were huge and Hannah made us fresh soda bread that was the best I had ever tasted in Ireland. My boys are picky eaters and just love her soda bread.
Hannah talked with me like an old friend. She made many recommendations for family activities nearby and gave tips on how I should navigate the Ring of Kerry and Dingle Pennisula.
Sadly we had to move on after 2 days and my children were reluctant to leave.
My oldest son said Miss Hannah is the kindest person he has ever met. I was sad to leave but felt we have made a new friend in Ireland.
We will most definitely stay here again. Even my boys said they will most definitely come back to visit Miss Hannah when they grow up......
Thank you Hannah for a memorable trip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Coxsackie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

We chose Kenmare and the Muxnaw Lodge because of it's location, wanting to use it as a base for a few days at the start of a 12 day, self-drive vacation. It was close enough from Shannon and we planned to tour the peninsulas (Dingle, Ring of Kerry, Baera, Mizen, etc.) on the south west coast. We wanted a B&B close to town and found the accomadations at Muxnaw to be very comfortable, with a great traditional breakfast, perfect location, and lovely amenities. We found Hannah Boland to be very helpful in guiding us, as well as the perfect host. Thanks and nice job.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2009

We stayed for three nights at Muxnaw and could not have been happier. The house overlooks the Kenmare River and provides easy access to Kenmare town, as well as the Beara Peninsula. Room was unusually spacious, as was the bathroom. Breakfast was top-notch and our hostess made us feel completely at home. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BostonGman
Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

Large room, very large bathroom, separate tub and shower, very friendly hostess, excellent breakfast, walking distance to town. House could use a little sprucing up but is very charming.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

This beautiful 200 year old house full of antiques overlooked a spacious garden with Irish poetry engraved on marble plaques. Our room was spacious and quiet and had the longest bathtub I've ever seen. Soaking in the ginormous tub was the height of luxury for me. Hannah was a gracious and flexible hostess who cheerfully accommodated our changing schedule, and talked with us about current conditions for the 'regular folks' in Ireland. Breakfast was served on china dishes, complete with warmth from the fire place which she lit just for us. My husband ate salmon with his eggs, and she also served a creamy yogurt in addition to the standard breakfast fry. All of this, for 3 of us was only 80 euros- everywhere else in town was 105 euros. It's a hidden gem and was the most relaxing and luxurious place we stayed.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family