Virginia's Guesthouse Kenmare
The Rose Garden B&B and Cafe(Kenmare)(Great Value!)
US$106
Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort(Kenmare)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$188
An Bruachan(Kenmare)
US$141
US$106
Coachmans Townhouse Hotel(Kenmare)(Great Value!)
US$152
Avelow House(Kenmare)(Great Value!)
US$100
The Brass Lantern(Kenmare)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$352
US$545
Travelocity
All reviewsstreet noisering of kerrythe main streetguest housecentral locationfirst floordelicious breakfastneilirelandtownpubsaccommodationshost
Reviewed 14 June 2006

nice place, good rooms,situated in village .didnt like ordering breakfast night before- a little unusual.lots of pubs all around the b&b but not mnay people around so we slept ok. village is very neat and tidy .good 1 night stop for us.on a par with other b&bs so happy enough.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank pkpj
Reviewed 11 June 2006

We drove into beautiful Kenmare with no plans for accommodation. Virginia's was one of the first places we spotted in Henry Street, the main street. It was also listed in our accommodation guide so we gave them a call. Noreen (one of the owners) answered and was very friendly and confirmed availability, called her husband Neil who was at the accommodation and 5 minutes later there we were. Neil was very welcoming and friendly, showed us up to a beautiful room on the top floor and quoted us a very reasonable rate of 40 Euros each for the night.
This place is just lovely. The room had a giant bed (which while it looked like a king size was in fact two large singles next to eachother). We were up on the top floor so had a slightly sloping ceiling over the pretty window with a cute teddy bear peeking out from behind the net curtain (we noticed through some open doors that this is a feature of every room - a teddy bear somewhere - in the window, on a sofa etc). The bathroom was large, clean and had a great power shower.
Down on the 1st floor is a sitting room/library for all guests' use, which also has free tea and coffee, and a chilled water dispenser.
But the best reason to go here is the breakfast! The extensive menu is fantastic and includes fresh fruit juice plus 2 courses and toast and tea or coffee. Because the kitchen is fairly small, guests order their breakfast the night before on a sheet in the sitting room, and it's taken away in the evening.
I had freshly squeezed orange juice, followed by porridge (with whisky cream - an interesting choice at 8am!), then poached eggs on herby mushroom nests, white toast and brown soda bread. All the other choices on the breakfast menu were equally tempting and as a vegetarian I was delighted at the choice. I was so full by the end of breakfast that I could barely move (but in a good way).
Again, Neil was the consumate host during breakfast, ensuring that everyone had everything they needed.
Unfortunately as we were on a fairly tight schedule we had to leave right after breakfast. Checking out was quick and easy, and we met Noreen at the door, a happy smiley person who checked we had enjoyed our stay.
I will definitely be going back there - the accommodation is quite frankly stunning, especially for the price, and the breakfast is incredible. But the hospitality provided by Noreen and Neil really made all the difference. Many guesthouses could learn from them!

13  Thank EmsR2D2
Reviewed 8 June 2006

My partner, mother, and I stayed at Virginia's for three nights in May 2006, and we loved it! Both of our rooms were simple but clean with ample space. The location in the center of town was very convenient, and we had no problem with noise despite being there for a weekend. All three of us would like to return!

The highlights at Virginia's, as others have pointed out, are the hospitaliity and the food. Neil and Noreen could not have been more welcoming, friendly, and helpful. Breakfasts were just fantastic. We were disappointed to have only three mornings as we weren't able to sample everything on the menu. Try the breakfast cocktail. It's really great. The guest lounge is quiet and was always stocked with water, coffee, tea, and biscuits. We were worried about parking but had no problems. Overall, this is an excellent place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2006
9  Thank oopsy
Reviewed 27 May 2006

Based on the fabulous reviews from other TripAdvisor readers, we booked a night at Virginia's Guesthouse in Kenmare. By far, the best B&B we stayed in during our entire stay in Ireland.

Not sure I can add anything that others haven't said except to say the place was as quiet as a church, the bed was comfortable and Neil, your idea of service is similar to what I've experienced at the Ritz-Carlton and Nordstroms.

You may not remember my wife and I. We were the ones who drove the Ring of Kerry to have dinner with a friend in Cahirseveen and then continued around the northern portion of the Ring to Killarney, returning to the B&B late that same night. As they say, the shortest distance between two points is not necessarily a straight line, so here's our WARNING TO OTHERS: do NOT drive through the national park on the road that runs directly south out of Killarney to Kenmare at night !!!! Daytime, maybe, not definitely not at night unless two hours of hundreds of mountainous, hairpin turns, never getting out of second gear, sleeping sheep in the road (who outright refuse to move) and not seeing a single other driver for the entire two hours is your idea of fun.

As we checked out of the B&B, I promised to leave a great recommendation on the web and I keep my promises !!!!

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank ClevelandOhio
Reviewed 2 May 2006

My husband and I stayed here for just one night, but we would have loved to stay longer. Kenmare was a beautiful small town. Neil actually grew up in the house, and the room we stayed in was where he was born! The room was great and easy access to walk around town. We didn't have any problems with noise. Neil and Noreen were both incredibly warm and helpful. We had not made dinner reservations and it was Friday, but Neil went out of his way to book us a table at Mulcahy's (the restaurant below the B&B). This was an expensive meal but the best I have ever had! Well worth it. Noreen made a fabulous breakfast in the morning like one I had never had - pears with blue cheese and bacon. Delicious! Overall a wonderful experience, and I highly recommend! We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2005