“We highly recommend”

and 1 more site!
Virginia's Guesthouse Kenmare
Ranked #23 of 61 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2006

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Virginia's Guesthouse. The rooms are a good size, comfortable, and quiet and the guesthouse is very well located -- in the center of Kenmare. We are a family of four (two parents, two children) and we were all pleased with our accommodations. The owners are friendly and helpful and their breakfast is outstanding. Of the five guesthouses/bed and breakfasts where we stayed during this trip to Ireland, this was the best all around choice. We would definitely choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Virginia's Guesthouse Kenmare

Reviewed 11 August 2006

Virginia's Guesthouse more than lived up to the excellent reviews. The rooms are well equipped and Neil and Noreen are such nice, genuine people; nothing was too much trouble. Help was offered but not pushed upon you and as first time visitors to Kenmare we appreciated the advice and the trouble taken to secure dinner reservations on what was a bank holiday weekend. We had a meal in the restaurant on the ground floor - Mulcahy's Restaurant - and it was absolutely excellent. We went as a family group of five and our grown up children loved Virginia's just as much as we did. In particular my daughter was very touched by the trouble taken to cater for her dietary requirements.
OK there was some street noise, but after all it was a bank holiday and if people really want silence then I suggest they go and stay miles from anywhere. They will miss out though!
Kenmare is small enough to walk around but big enough to have atmosphere and bars/restaurants aplenty.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank happypacker
Reviewed 29 July 2006

Neil and Noreen are a warm, funny, helpful and easy going couple. They manage this unusual B&B (located above Mulcahay's restaurant) really well.
Breakfast I will remember until I die. Pancakes with maple syrup dressed with redcurrants and Irish oatmeal with whisky cream. The lightest toasted toast. One couple wanted honey on their oatmeal and you could hear Neil say to Noreen "have we got some honey,Honey?" They were both great. Neil stopped the traffic on the street and directed it for my husband to reverse park!!
Only disappointment was the small room which was clean and tidy but not much room to walk around, and the shower room that was just about due for refurbishment. Great shower though !
Kenmare was a small town (2 streets or so) with lots of pubs and restaurants, just like everywhere else in Ireland I suspect. It's a good place to start or finish the ring of Kerry tour. Though if I were to recommend the best place to do this from it would be Killarney really. There was a small park at the end of the street but was disappointed that Kenmare was not as close to the sea as I expected to allow me to walk there in the evening. I would have had to drive and I couldn't do that with Guinness on the menu!

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank Pywacket1
Reviewed 28 July 2006

What more can be added to the rave reviews already posted? My husband and I, along with another couple, stayed at the bed and breakfast for (sadly) only 1 night this past month (July 2006). We arrived late and Neil was quick to help us after we arrived. He showed us around and made sure we had no questions. We also were directed to choose our breakfast time and menu for the morning...more later. The location for the B&B is right in the middle of Kenmare, which is a lovely, quaint Irish town. We were able to settle in, walk about a bit, grab some dinner at a local pub, before coming back for an evening tea (coffee also available) in the comfortable library, which also has numerous books (including travel books) available for guest use. My husband and I had been complimentarily upgraded to a superior room which was quite large with a king sized bed as well as a sofa and coffee table. The room also came equipped with satellite television, although my husband and I couldn't get it to work quite right...I'm sure our fault and not the equipment! The bathroom was nice sized with a shower that had wonderful pressure and a heated towel rack...nice despite the warm temperatures. We opened our window at night to let the breeze in and the street noise was a bit much at times but bearable. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic! Like others, I highly recommend the pear, blue cheese and bacon choice...like nothing I'd had before! Three of us ordered it, and the fourth in our group got the pancakes which were also reportedly delicious. Along with an main, you also get a cereal (the homemade muesli gets two thumbs up) and a juice (the breakfast cocktail is delicious with fresh squeezed orange juice, cranberry juice and grated ginger) along with breads and tea. You definitely leave the table feeling happy and full. After checking out, Neil was very helpful on our plans for the day. Our experience with Virginia's Guesthouse was as expected based on the wonderful reviews here and we will definitely stay again when/if back in Kenmare.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank skbomaha
Reviewed 24 July 2006

Hosts were so helpful with dinner and tour reservations (Neal even called Killarney to get us a Ring of Kerry tour and free parking since it does not run from Kenmare on Saturdays.).
Best breakfast of all the B&B's we stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tkim
Reviewed 22 July 2006

My wife, two adult daughters and I stayed at Virginia's Guesthouse in Kenmare on the nights of 21 & 22 June 2006, occupying two rooms at a total cost including breakfast of Euro 340. The guesthouse is situated above Mulcahy's Restaurant in Henry Street, smack bang in the middle of town, and a short walking distance to all attractions. It was very easy to locate, and free two hour parallel car parking was available on Henry Street, with long term parking only a short distance away. Shops and restaurants abound. Our rooms were large and very contemporary, with modern lighting, fixtures and furnishings. The ensuite bathrooms were stylish and well equipped. Guest rooms are either on the first or second floors. Our rooms overlooked the street, but we were not discomforted by traffic noise or other disturbances. As a major feature, on the first floor there is a guest library containing a wide selection of books, filtered water and tea and coffee making facilities. In this room there are comfortable chairs for moments when repose is desired. The breakfast room is also on the first floor. Breakfast is one of the real treats of Virginia's, and guests place their orders from a menu on the previous night. While this might be a somewhat unusual practice, it ensures that guests have ample opportunity to consider their meal choices, and it guarantees that all breakfast courses are freshly prepared and served a la carte, between 8.00am and 9.30am. Delicacies include home made muesli, and an absolute taste treat of pears on toast dribbled with melted blue vein cheese and topped with bacon. As in all B&B's, the property and its facilities are important, but the hosts of the establishment are more important still. Noreen and Neil are the proprietors of Virginia's, and they excel in the Irish art of comforting their guests. Nothing was too much trouble for these caring hosts, even to the extent of exceptional courtesy and assistance in arranging an appointment for my wife to see Neil's own dentist, after she developed sudden dental problems on the last night of our stay. That kindness was much appreciated. I have stayed in many top quality Irish B&B's, and there is no doubt that Virginia's is one of Ireland's best.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank wasamaid
Reviewed 17 July 2006

We stayed at Virginia's guesthouse in July 2006 and were extremele pleased. Neal and Noreen were perfect hosts: they advised us, booked rooms for our next stay and saw to all our needs. Their B&B is spotless, serves an excellent breakfast and the rooms are pleasant and not too small. We warmly recommend this place

3  Thank Karina17