“Travelling with the Americans”
Review of Willow Lodge

Willow Lodge
Willow Lodge
Ranked #40 of 62 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2013

paul was very informative of the local places of interest and gave us good advice. Close to the town centre. The down side was no tea making facilities in the room. Room was noisy. The room also lacked the comforts (no face flannels) of an expensive B & B at 50 euros per person we felt this not value for money compared to other places we stayed at on our trip around Ireland. However, Paul and Gretta were very welcoming and nice people.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank stupot1944

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Myself and a few friends stayed at Willow lodge over the August weekend whilst attending a wedding in Kenmare, we were delighted to have been able to book accommodation together so close to the town. All was well with our stay, rooms comfortable and welcoming etc, until the next morning. Unfortunately it turns out that at this BnB there is no single rate for a person staying alone in a room, a fact I was not made aware of at the time of booking even though I specifically requested a single room. I was charged 90 euros for one night for one person-an extortionate rate under any circumstances, particularly considering we had missed breakfast which is served only from 8 until 9.30 in the morning (a very small window of opportunity really!!). Anyway-I paid the amount, and my friends and I left highly unimpressed with our hosts protestations that she is the only host in the town that caters for singles and that it is a fixed rate-our doubts about this were confirmed when our other single friend, who had left earlier that morning, rang to tell us that she had been charged 100 euros for the very same privilege as myself-fixed rate indeed!! I cannot help but feel that the couple running this place have perfected that art of "chat" as it were to cover the fact that all that they are is friendly scam artists.

Room Tip: don't bother!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank jennywrenny1
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Thank you Paul & Gretta for our very short but sweet stay for one night last month. Our room was comfortable & quiet, breakfast very good and location excellent. We were en route to a wedding in Killarney and I can't thank you enough for the help you gave when I had a mini dress disaster. You solved the problem via your washing machine and drier - going beyond customer service! Thanks to you both. I only wish we had the time to stay longer. I am a Travel Agent in the UK and would highly recommend the guest house to all my clients. If we find ourselves back to this part of Ireland we will be back to see you.

All the best, Sarah & Steve.

2  Thank sarah_bracey
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My wife and I just spent one night here because of a recommendation from another B & B in another town. (I wish I had checked tripadvisor, but I did not have internet at the time) Very nice people, food was OK, access to town is great! Downsides, rooms are noisy adjacent to other rooms, no tea or coffee in room, you will need to ask for hand towels and wash cloths, no shampoo or soap in the shower, etc. It lacks the creature comforts of an expensive B & B. I am sure that you can do better for the price.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife & I spent 3 nights at Willow Lodge during a motoring tour of S.W. Ireland in June. Ideally situated only 2 mins walk from the centrre of the delightful market town of Kenmare. A lovely house and rooms with good off road parking in the grounds of the house. Paul, the only half of the couple who run it whom we met, is gracious, witty and a fund of information about places around there. We were made to feel extremely welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Towels were changed every day despite our only being there for three days and our saying that it wasn’t neccesary. Standard Irish breakfast available if you can manage it. He also tries out his bits of French, German and Italian for those of you from over the Channel!

1  Thank KENNETH S
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Paul and Gretta were good hosts. Paul is full of Blarney:) Friendly and entertaining and gave good advice. Large beautiful home within walking distance of downtown. Spacious, clean rooms. Wonderful breakfast. Off street parking was a big plus. Paul kept an eye on our rental and reminded us to keep the windows up in Irish weather. Haha. Thanks

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 2rppelke
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Room and bathroom nice but furniture quite basic. Husband of the couple who own the establishment is very jovial and very helpful with advice on what to do on your trip in the area which is very useful. Breakfast was pretty standard fare and the rate per person is just too dear at €50 each. Its just not worth it. We are staying in a hotel tonight that is €99 for both of us and it has a pool and gym. I have noticed many other reviewers saying its too dear. Will they take any notice of this? Doubt it.

Room Tip: Bound to be somewhere cheaper.
2  Thank Keith H