“The brook lane is a hidden gem in the magical Kenmare.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Brook Lane Hotel

Brook Lane Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Dublin, Ireland
“The brook lane is a hidden gem in the magical Kenmare.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

My Girlfriend & I booked a midweek break last week to have a rest from our new born son, So as you can imagine we were looking to totally relax and recharge the batteries, And we hit the Jackpot with the Brook Lane in Kenmare, Upon arrival we were greeted by Siobhan whom at once made us feel so welcome and guided us to our room, which when she opened the door to this suite with a king size bed, lounge area, and balcony looking over the most beautiful sites I have ever seen I knew it was going to be a nice break. We booked a package of 2 nights b&b and a dinner, When we went for dinner the first night we expected to be handed a set menu like most hotels, but not here, you could choose from anything on the menu I went for the Mushrooms and the Steak, and to be honest couldnt move after it .So We had delicious meals with top notch service. Breakfast was the same, the service was fantastic, I didn't like the sausages though!! but everything else was great. As you probably know Kenmare is just beautiful and we really got the weather on the Thursday. I must say I have stayed in hotels in the past that have big reputations and never live up to the standards ( one in Kilkenny I wont mention..) However the Brook Lane will A) be very busy for the next few weeks as we have not shut up about it to our friends and family and B) Have added 2 more people to their regular customer list. I would say if you are going to stay in Kenmare choose the Brooklane and try and get the suite!!! if you cant not to worry the rest of the rooms are very nice. I dont usually write reviews about anything but I really feel I should in this case. as in this day and age if you get something special for your hard earned money its nice to be nice.. Enjoy ...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

We arrived last Tuesday for a 3 night stay - a really fabulous boutique hotel a short walk from the town. Warm & welcoming greeting on arrival. Hotel is beautifully decorated. Really trendy room, a bed that was so comfortable and a modern spotless bathroom. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable about local trips etc. The food in the bar / restaurant was incredible with different specials every evening. Overall our view was nothing was too much trouble for the staff to make our stay more enjoyable - we will definately be back as soon as we can! Ruairi & Sara - Dublin.

brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2010
Dear Sara186605,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay. it is clear from your review that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare again soon.

Thanks again
Kind regards

Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Had high expectations of this hotel, based on the reviews but it totally surpassed my expectations. Great hotel, lovely staff. Fab decor in the rooms. Food great also. The shortcut walk into town accross from the hotel v handy! Only thing I could fault from our stay was that it wasn't long enough :-)

brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2010
Dear CorkHotelGuest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that your high expectations were totally surpassed and that you very much enjoyed your time here.

I am glad to hear that you found the short little path to town useful during your stay. I will pass your kind words regarding the decor, food and rooms on to the rest of our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare again soon.

Thanks again
kind regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

We were made to feel really welcome at this comfortable hotel. Our room was immaculate and the bed was large and very comfortable. But for us the real treats of Brook Lane were the friendly and informative staff and the perfect breakfasts. We'd love to visit again when we return to Ireland.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

I was staying in Kenmare with family and decided to have dinner in this hotel . From the minute we walked in the door we felt uneasy with the service . We decided to sit down because there was no sign saying you would be seated . The Girl who came over was quite upset that we had sat ourselves down in the best seat the place . Her words not mine. After giving us menu's she then gave out side plates for brown bread which we never got . The table beside us was shown a Blackboard with the days specials . We did not get to see the specials . Our meal was served by someone else as she was busy chatting. We had to ask for napkins and after our meal was served we where never approached again to ask was everything ok / did we want Desert / tea or coffee and had to go up to the counter to ask for the bill . Food was ok but was let down big time by the service. Incidentally we where only listening to an article on the radio on the way to this hotel about Hotels and there lack of business and how many where going into liquidation ? Now i know why

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Fireboy007
brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2010
Dear Fireboy007,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent visit to our Bistro. All guest opinions are very important to us so that we can further improve the services which we offer.

I am disappointed to hear that the service which you experienced during your meal was not up to our usual standard. You only have to look at our other tripadvisor reviews to see that this is certainly not what dining at the Brook Lane is all about...

I appreciate your comment regarding the sign. We have acted on this following your review and we have found that is working very well for us.

The Brook Lane is a small independent hotel owned by my husband Dermot and I. We are very fortunate to have a strong team of local staff and we all endeavor to work hard to look after our guests.

Personally I am both disappointed and hurt by your comments at the end of your review in relation to "hotels", "lack of business", "liquidation," etc. I sincerely hope that future guests are not put off by this stereotyping and do not link our hotel to any of these terms which are unfortunately affecting a number of hotels in the current climate. The Brook Lane Hotel is not a large hotel, is not developer driven and is not involved in any sort of Bank-bailout/Nama scheme. Instead we have recently upgraded and redecorated our bedrooms, dining room and furnishings throughout the hotel which we do on an ongoing basis. We are delighted to see that our hard work and financial investment has yielded an increase in sales for June and July this year when compared to the same period in 2009.

Once again i would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for bringing these matters to my attention. It is unfortunate that too many of us appear to have 'dropped the ball' on this occasion. I sincerely hope that you give us an opportunity to show you that your recent experience is not 'par for the course' here at the Brook Lane.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

A very pleasant small hotel located just 5 minutes from downtown Kenmare. Clean, efficient and comfortable with a decent bar and restaurant featuring some traditional jam sessions. Be aware that at the front desk, the owners/managers will recommend No.35 Restaurant in the town of Kenmare. When you also meet them serving food in this restaurant you might be forgiven for thinking they were somewhat biased in their recommendation...no matter, the food is excellent. The owners work incredibly hard in their hotel and this leadership obviously motivates their staff, all of whom were super-friendly, super-efficient and super-helpful. It's a little pricey but we were there in high season ad, in any event, we never mind paying more if the place is good. Would stay there again, if the opportunity presented itself.

1 Thank Don35
Ipswich, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

Usually I agree with Trip Advisor ratings - but for this hotel, I'm puzzled as to why people think it is so great.

There is nothing awful about the hotel - there are some good things (the bed was comfortable and my wife pointed out that the sheets etc were very high quality). However, the hotel website uses the word 'boutique' a lot - and boutique its not!

The breakfast was fairly good - but slow. We ate once in the bistro and were dissapointed - what we had was average at best. We ate in the town for the other two nights.

Kenmare is a lovely town and base for a few days in the area. I seem to remember when choosing that hotel rates are high here, but this hotel was probably the worst value we had during a 9 day touring holiday in Ireland. If I came back to Kenmare I would probably choose a B&B in the town with parking.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul Schofield
brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2010
Dear Paul Schofield,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us here at the Brook Lane.

I am delighted to hear that you found our beds to be comfortable and that your wife appreciated our high quality bed linen. I am also pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit to the Kenmare area.

As regards breakfast, unlike most hotels we provide our guests with a breakfast which is freshly cooked to order and as you can appreciate, this does take time. Our guests choose from a fabulous selection of freshly cooked food such as full Irish, fish of the day, eggs benedict, pancakes, omelette, smoked salmon and eggs etc. We have a buffet table also set up with fresh pastries, breads, scones, cereals, yogurts, fresh fruits, smoked salmon, a selection of juices, croissants, etc which guests use while their cooked food is being freshly prepared. We offer breakfast from 8 until 11 for our guests convenience and to prevent delays. However i am sorry if you experienced a delay on this occasion.

It is most unfortunate that you did not inform me of your opinion on the 'Boutique' issue during your stay. The term 'Boutique' is open to many different interpretations. In cities such as London etc, a 'Boutique Hotel' is usually a hotel with abstract and sometimes whacky design/decor. However the Irish interpretation of 'Boutique' is an individually run, small and intimate property with excellent beds, linens and furnishings, exactly what the Brook Lane Hotel is.....

Again I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Kenmare some time in the future.

Kind regards

Una Brennan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Sheen Falls Lodge
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#3 of 39 in Killarney
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews

Been to Brook Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!