“Good Breakfast, Good Location, Friendly Hosts”
Review of Abbey Court B&B

Abbey Court B&B
Ranked #6 of 61 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Oakton, VA
“Good Breakfast, Good Location, Friendly Hosts”
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at Abbey Court for 2 nights in May 2009. We really enjoyed our stay, especially the breakfast. We were served the most delicious Irish breakfast. Unlike other B&Bs that may be stingy when it came to portion size, Abbey Court was more than generous. My plate was piled FULL. They leave out cereals and fruits all day for guests.

Brendan and Ger asked about our days and offered suggestions. Wonderful hosts!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank soychick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Michigan
Reviewed 11 February 2009

My review is more over due than the previous poster! My family of 4 stayed in the apartment for 3 nights in June 2008. It was absolutely perfect for us and we loved having so much room. Our older teenagers enjoyed their room with twin beds and having their own bath. The other bedroom had a double bed and own bath too. The kitchen/living area is perfect sized. We too were looking forward to the washer and dryer as this stop was about half way on our trip. Unfortunately the washer/dryer, while useful was incredibly ineffiecent. In the 3 days of our stay it took an average 10 hours each to wash a load of laundry! Maybe it was begining to not work right during our stay? We finally had to hang stuff on their clothesline to try and get it all dry before we had to pack up again. I see that the previous review said the washer/dryer needed to be repaired during their stay a few weeks after us. Hopefully is all okay now.

We did not eat breakfast in the main house since we had use of our own kitchen. It was wonderful to stock up on some groceries and eat on our own time schedule. We even got some picnic supplies for lunch. Brendan was very helpful and friendly. I would reccomend staying here in the Apartment wholeheartedly. The only glitch in our stay ( beside the laundry) was the payment . I had specifically asked if they took credit cards as payment in my first inquiry. They did not respond to that question, but took my CC # to hold the room. Therefore I mistakenly thought they took credit. I did not mind paying cash -- tho it would have saved some hassle and an additional trip to the ATM in town the morning of our departure if we had known up front. This all should be clearly said on their web site -- or should have been addressed when I inquired. It almost felt like they were trying to be secretive about it. Stay here , it was great-- but have enough cash!!!

While in the area we enjoyed a day trip to Skellig Michael, the RIng of Kerry, Kissane Sheep farm & Riverdance in Kilarney,

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank TravDreamer
Pickerington, Ohio
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I apologize for this long overdue review as Abbey Court was a truly excellent place to stay. We (husband and I along with son and wife) stayed in the apartment over the garage in July/2008. It was great to have a place where we could really kick back and relax all together. The apartment has 2 very comfortable bedrooms and 2 full baths as well as a full kitchen and sitting area. We were very excited to have a a washer/dryer at this point of our trip. Unfortunately it did not work properly and Brendan was so apologetic. We left for the day as he was working on getting someone to come and repair the machine and when we returned home found all of our laundry washed and drying on their personal line! That is the type of attention these folks will pay. They go out of their way to make everything perfect. The breakfast in the main house was great and I truly appreciated the fresh fruit as this was not something we found at very many of the wonderful inns that we visted. My only regret is that we did not stay here several days and take day trips from here. I think we would have had the opportunity to see much more that way. I would highly recommend Abbey Court to anyone travelling through the Kenmare area. Altough it is a bit out of town - the walk was very do-able even late at night. I wish it had not been raining while we visited here as the grounds looked absolutely beautiful and it would have been nice to have time to stroll around. Do yourself a favor and book a few nights with Brendan and Geraldine. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank qtpi1
Mundaring, Western Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2008

My husband and I have recently returned from 9 days in Ireland hopping from seven different B&B's with his parents.
We spent our fourth night in Ireland at Abbey Court B & B. Both our rooms were clean and nicely decorated, with a reasonable size bathroom although there was no were to place the toiletries bag in either bathroom except on the toilet. The beds in both rooms were very comfortable. We received a very warm greeting from Brendan and were offered a warm drink on arrival with biscuits, which was very welcome after a busy day sightseeing. The property is down a driveway off the road overlooking Kenmare Bay so there was no street noise. The breakfast was very pleasant and cooked to order. Geraldine was extremely helpful when my Mother-in- Law came down with a severe toothache organizing an emergency dental appointment. We were a little disappointed when although they take a credit card number for a deposit they only take cash payments. We would class this B & B as cozy but not Luxury. There was also no tea and coffee making facilities in our rooms.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — No tea and coffee making facilities in room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Jenni50
Denver
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We stayed in B&B's for 18 days throughout Ireland and Scotland and this was our hands-down favorite. Both Brendan and Geraldine are so nice and friendly and can't do enough for you. We had terrible weather, but they made the trip worthwhile. When I said I was tired of driving, they were quick to find us a driver for the day around the Ring of Kerry, which was a great idea. The property is gorgeous and immaculate - great rooms for guests to relax in and beautiful gardens. The food was delicious too. I can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank crimlaw
Milford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I absolutely can not say enough great things about our experience at this bed & breakfast! The service was perfect, the food was phenomenal, the location was ideal - if you are looking for a place to stay while you explore the ring of Kerry - look no further. Abbey Court delivers the ultimate in Irish hospitality!

• Liked — It provided us with a "home away from home" complete with kitchen, refrigerator, etc.
  • Disliked — Honestly, nothing...
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Meghan419
Co Limerick
Reviewed 10 October 2008

We had a one night stay here last weekend.
It was our second visit this year so far, and have lost count of previous stays! In fact it would feel strange staying in any other guesthouse while in Kenmare!
Brendan and Geraldine are so welcoming it feels like coming home. We even have our own room here at this stage!
A short taxi ride takes you into the town if you don;t feel like taking the 10 minute walk.
Breakfast is substantial and very tasty.
Thanks Brendan and Geraldine once again.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple