“Great guesthouse - very friendly and lovely rooms”

Davitts Kenmare Guesthouse
Ranked #8 of 61 Kenmare B&B and Inns
London
“Great guesthouse - very friendly and lovely rooms”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here for one night only last Friday night. I have to admit it has been quite some time since I have stayed in a guesthouse and I wasn't sure what to expect. We had been travelling all day coming from snowy London and I was smothered with a cold. All I wanted was a warm bed and I wasn't disappointed! The guesthouse has it's own small reception area seperate to the bar so it feels very cut off which is good. I had visions of entering through a busy bar! Going up the stairs is like entering a hotel, and our room was huge! And so warm. It was lovely. The bed was huge and lovely and comfortable and there was a single bed in the room too. There was a big bright, clean bathroom with an amazing shower and the whole place was hotel standard. I skipped breakfast but my boyfriend came back raving about it and skipped lunch as a result, which means it was obviously very good! And finally the owner was a delight. Very friendly and helpful and made my boyfriend call the room in the morning to find out what he could bring up! Which was very sweet of her. I have no hesitation in recommnding Davitts as the perfect base if you are exploring the surrounding area. It's right in the middle of town too.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

It sounded like a motorbike taking off in the corridor and then stayed on for far too long. They are a curse in guest houses for light sleepers. Other than this the place is very good with a great location in centre of town.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Davitt's Guesthouse during our tour of Ireland last week. While it was off season and the town was very quiet (many pubs and restaurants were closed), Davitt's felt so welcoming and warm. Our room was, hands down, the loveliest we stayed in during our entire trip (we were in Dublin, Galway, Killarney, Kenmare and Kilkenny). Beautiful soft bed, nice sized bathroom, and so very clean. We didn't have many options for dinner, so we decided to try the restaurant downstairs. We were so surprised, the food and service was outstanding!! While there was not much to do in Kenmare that evening ( we were there on Wednesday), we had a lovely, quiet and relaxing night with a lovely dinner and some wine - a nice change from all the Guineans we had been drinking! The price was terrific for the service received - and not to mention that Mary, the proprietor, couldn't have been nicer! If you are going to stay in Kenmare, this is the place you want to stay in. Oh, and breakfast was great as well. Stay here, you won't regret it!!

• Stayed December 2012
Oxnard, California
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We first drove the loop through Kenmare deciding where to spend the night. Our first choice, from reviews on TA, was Virginia’s. We were surprised they were closed, I assume for the winter season. Just down the street was this inn above a pub, also with favorable reviews on TA. On arrival, we were told that there were two double rooms available and were offered keys to both so we could review them. We chose room 8 which was the larger of the two. The rate was 60EUR and we thought this was a very fair price for a very roomy and nice accommodation. The negatives were several flights of narrow stairs to get to our floor and WiFi that was only available in the lobby downstairs. Breakfast the next morning was in the restaurant next door. The server was a very friendly lady and the made to order breakfasts were excellent, the best of our trip. I had scrambled eggs with salmon while my wife had French toast with frisee and berry compote.

Room Tip: Room 8 was larger than another we were offered.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Freeport, Maine, United States
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I am extremely late writing this review but my husband and I were reminiscing about our honeymoon to Ireland last November and we remembered with great fondness our stay at Davitts. In fact, it was one of the highlights of the entire week. Mary is an exceptional hostess. My husband and I had been up for almost 27 hours straight when we made it to her door step. Technically the restaurant did not open for another hour and we were not expected until the afternoon but she saw us just outside the door and when she realized we were guests and just about to fall over on the sidewalk asleep she ushered us in. She immediately served us up a fresh cup of coffee and had her staff get our room ready at once so we could lie down and rest. I had contacted her in advance of our stay because both my husband and I have dietary restrictions. I simply wanted to know specifics of her menu so we could make substitutions ourselves. We understand we're difficult with all our requirements but to our surprise, Mary knew a bakery in town that made gluten free bread and she acquired a loaf in advance of our arrival so she could make us sandwiches and toast for breakfast.
The room was by far the most spacious we stayed in during our stay around the country. Everything was clean and well appointed. Her staff was as friendly and accommodating as Mary and when our waiter found out we were driving to Kilkenny the next day, he sat with us and gave us directions on back roads through the countryside. It was gorgeous! I am still so thankful for her and her staff for making our first few nights in Ireland a truly lovely experience.
If we ever have the chance to return to Ireland, my husband and I have already agreed, we'll be spending the week with Mary.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Stayed here on recent trip to kenmare. Rates very reasonably and rooms were gorgeous. So spacious. Bathroom also lovely and light and airy and very clean.

Perfect location to everything with lots of places to eat and drink at. Doorstep

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Perfect place to stay in the main street of Kenmare. Rooms are on upper floors at the rear of the property - quiet, modern and spacious. Good dinner in the pub downstairs, with fantastic live music from really talented musicians. Breakfast was also really good, with a generous cold buffet selection to accompany the hot plates. Staff very friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple