“Nice Staff Hotel 3 Star at best” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dingle Skellig Hotel

Dingle Skellig Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Dingle
Galway, Ireland
“Nice Staff Hotel 3 Star at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed in the Hotel last summer during the fine weather, we had a fantastic time in Kerry the people are lovely down there. This is my critical analysis of the Hotel..

Pros - The hotel is quite spacious in its foyer and bar areas and is ideal for families as the kids can move around without disturbing people around them, the Health Spa which we used was great the staff were lovely (as all the staff were in this hotel). The restaurant is nice modern and good value, the food was to a good standard as well, the restaurant has a fantastic view of the bay.

Cons - The pool is a bit small in the leisure centre. All the bars halls, and common areas need a revamp badly as they are very dated, (a contemporary interior would suit) especially when you are paying 100 per person sharing per night. The rooms also need a revamp as they are dated also, the bathrooms were fine (bar the non functioning fans - see below).

Ah bathroom fans......... this is one of my pet hates, I have mentioned this before in my reviews and this is present in many hotels I stay in - The fans don't work on demand in the bathrooms, they are centrally controlled (they come on for a bit at 5 am), i.e the fan does not come on when you turn on the bathroom light. This means when you have a shower (and to stop the bathroom from becoming a sauna) you have to leave the bathroom door open to let out the steam, this is a cost saving measure by the hotel to save on electricity. I am an engineer and (without giving away too much) I deal with buildings on a regular basis, I know what I am talking about.

Oh I forgot we stayed during the hot weather and our room was on the top floor and it was absolutely roasting and as we had no fan to create an airflow we had a sleepless first night in the hotel.

Again the staff were lovely, the people of Dingle were lovely but I would think twice about staying in the hotel again and going to Dingle. Why? We paid 700 euro B&B for four nights stay (we got our room for 50pps on the monday night), we spent another small fortune going out down there, the restaurants are way over priced (as is everything else is in Kerry they have been ripping people off down there for years), I am not trying to appear like I am moaning, I wanted to go to Kerry I knew what I was getting into, and I have the wherewithal to pay for everything, but I still appreciate value for money and don't like paying for things for the sake of it, I want to give the people viewing this an informed view, because as consumers you deserve it. We were away in the Canaries for 8 nights recently and we spent as much in Dingle in 4 nights as we did in the Canaries for 8 nights and that is including flights accommodation food and drink and car hire.

The Hotel in my opinion is a 3 Star, if a Hotel wants to call themselves a 4* I expect 4* rooms 4* modern decor to meet the 4* price.

Room Tip: Don,t stay on the top floor in hot weather - don't forget heat rises.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John J
GrahamFitz1, General Manager at Dingle Skellig Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hi Mike

Thank you for your review of your stay last summer with us here at the Dingle Skellig Hotel. I was delighted to read your compliments relating to our food, staff and Peninsula Spa. I would like to take the opportunity to let you know that the ground floor of the hotel and the areas that you referred to has undergone an extensive refurbishment at the begining of the year. We appreciate all guest feedback we receive and from this we are continually able to improve our services and product. I would be happy to discuss any of the issued raised in any detail should you wish to contact me.
Yours truly,
Graham Fitzgerald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We enjoyed a lovely night at the Dingle Skellig. The location is amazing with gorgeous views from the restaurants. We had an executive room and it was very nice. The room itself was quite large and had a water view but it looked out over rooftops as well. The bed was ok. Pillows were not comfortable. The staff was so friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. An excellent breakfast! All in all a very good choice for this lovely area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed recently in the Dingle Skelligs, the last time we were here was 5 years ago. We had a lovely time which began with a warm welcome - it makes such a difference. This is obviously a hotel not only loved by patrons but by the owners as well. There was evidence of improvements everywhere. The lobby area is all revamped, soooo swish. The dining room has been extended so that practically all the tables have views of Dingle Bay. The room was spotlessly clean, beds v comfortable and looked freshly decorated. The leisure centre staff were very vigilant when the kids were in the pool. We didn't get a chance to use the spa or the kids club but they are there.
There was a really good singer in the bar on the Friday night.
The breakfast was really top class. There was a amazing selection of cereals, granola, yogurt with homemade rhubarb compote (I mean!!), pastries, and cold meats and cheeses. As well as the usual cooked breakfast buffet you can order chefs omelette (which I did - delicious), Belgian waffles, pancakes or french toast as well as four different types of fish. There are no words!!!
I am looking forward to staying again.

1 Thank Lastchancebar
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We spent 4 nights in this hotel and were not disappointed. Large comfortable bedroom, large bathroom with fluffy towels. TV with many channels, kettle. Breakfast buffet was excellent, great variety and good quality food. Lots of tables by the large windows meant we could see Fungi the dolphin jumping in the bay as we had breakfast! Restaurant and reception staff were friendly, helpful, efficient and attentive. Bedroom was quiet, even though the hotel was full of tour groups. Ask for a sea-view room, so you can watch the light changes on the bay and over the mountains.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My small tour group, Anam Cara Tours, stayed two nights at the Dingle Skellig Hotel, May 2 & 3, highly recommend by my bus driver, Paddy Downes. Beautiful hotel, amazing location, exceptional staff, great food, overall wonderful accommodations with easy access to town. One frustration though over adaptors. Computer one worked but the one I use for my iPhone and camera would not work. Same with others in my group. I was told it didn't work anywhere in Ireland. Wrong! It worked before Dingle Skelling and after.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was our group of 5, favorite hotel in Ireland. Not that he room was that exceptional. Those were adequate. But the customer service throughout the hotel were so welcoming.
The breakfast was exceptional. The best we had in Ireland.
Really enjoyed a night in their pub with their music as well.
We enjoyed our time their so much we wished we had one more night!

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

My only negative about this hotel is that we only stayed one night! I traveled with my husband, 2 girls and my parents and all of us were super impressed for many reasons. We arrived in pretty terrible weather but got such a warm welcome from the lovely receptionists we didn't want to leave. The exterior of this hotel does not do it justice - my expectations were not too high so it was a lovely surprise to step in to a modern yet cosy interior.

We had a double room and a family room both on the 2nd floor and both with stunning views of the bay. The rooms were immaculate and modern but really comfortable (loved the armchairs). The only facility we didn't get a chance to use was the Spa which reading the reviews here was a mistake I won't make the next time. The kids had a ball in the pool, I got some time in the gym and my mother availed of one of the relaxing reading rooms to catch up on the news.

The girls wanted to stay with us for dinner (there was a kids dinner option with the kids club but they were not ready for it) so we opted for the bistro which was just perfect. We had a lovely table and the service was just fantastic. Both the Bar Supervisor (whose name I didn't get) and Cormac who had reserved our table could not do enough for us. Like many others have said the staff in this hotel are really excellent and a real credit to the management - everyone without exception was warm and friendly - such an atmosphere. The food was also perfect - I had the seafood platter which was delicious and really filling and everyone else was really happy with their choices. The girls then decided they were brave enough for Kids club and watched a movie till 10 allowing for us to indulge in after dinner drinks in relaxed mode!

I didn't think it could get any better until we arrived at breakfast. Firstly its in the main dining room which is an incredible setting. Then the selection is without doubt the best breakfast spread I have seen in a very long time. There is absolutely anything you can imagine and more. As well as your standard fare there are options for omelettes, french toast, kippers and heaps more cooked to your liking - we left feeling totally stuffed! The girls headed to kids club which included an hour in the pool having pool games - they had a ball while we took advantage of the opportunity and had a relaxing jacuzzi, steam room and a few laps!

Unfortunately it all ended too soon - we will most definitely be finding the earliest opportunity to go back. This hotel is amazing for families but would suit any occasion - there is so much space and areas for relaxation it seems a lot bigger than it is. Dingle is only down the road also not that we had time to venture out at all except after checkout but maybe next time!!

Room Tip: Sea views are phenomenal
1 Thank angester