“I didn't want to leave...”
Review of Pax Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingle
Pax Guest House
Ranked #1 of 75 Dingle B&B and Inns
Virginia
“I didn't want to leave...”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The other reviews have said it all - the location, the view, the staff (Tordor), John, Rio (the "I-play-fetch-my-way" dog :-) ), the facility, the food, the turn down service... absolutely amazing. My friend and I didn't know what to expect, and when we rang the door bell of Pax Guest House much earlier then our scheduled arrival (5pm vs 8pm), we were happily greeted by Tordor (I hope I am spelling it correctly). He gave us a warm welcome and a tour. Once we got settled in, Tordor offered us coffee/tea which we accepted and enjoyed in the sun room with the stunning view. Pax Guest House is 1km out of town on a rural road, which provides a very quiet setting and an opportunity to work off part of a pint when walking from town. The small things add up to an impeccable stay. One example of this are the reflector vests in each of the closets. These are provided for guests to wear when walking on the road in the evening since the street is not lit (again, adding to the quiet venue). We wore them and giggled all the way home both nights we were in Dingle - while we thought it was funny to wear the over sized vests, we were also thankful for having them when the single car passed by us (they don't drive slow on country roads in Ireland). Check out my pictures - I think they help tell the story!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ShanieBartlett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Hebrew first
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 14 May 2011

The Pax Guest House is #1 on TripAdvisor and with good reason. The location is spectacular with a full panorama overlooking the ocean, fields and mountains beyond. You may end up just sitting out on your private room patio and viewing the ocean and never getting out to explore, that's how good it is. The service is excellent, the food is wonderful, and John is a great host, more than happy to recommend restaurants or things to see. It's the one place we stayed in our journey through Ireland where we thought we could go back and stay for an entire week of relaxation. Truly excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, it's absolutely essential.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vitaminj45
NYC
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Just returned from an amazing week traveling in Southwest Ireland and had the most wonderful stay at the Pax House. John is an exemplery host and the Pax House was the most modern, beautifully decorated and comfortable place we stayed during our trip. The views from the sitting room are incredible, we did not want to leave. John gave us great recommendations for touring the area and even left me a honey, lemon concoction in my room at night when I had mentioned I felt a cold coming on. I could not recommend this B&B more for a stay in Dingle. We would return back there in a minute.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank oneroadnyc
Creola, Alabama
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I could not have asked for anything more than the service I was given. John is a rare gem and his personality reflects deeply in the Pax House. From his guidance in touring the nearby area to the brilliant sitting room, the abundant art, magnificent breakfast room , delicious breakfast, and cozy spacious rooms, there is attention to every detail. There is also an astonishing view from the back of the Pax House, I slept with the drapes open so that I could awake to it every morning. The local area is full of fasinating people, while not all locals, because Dingle is a tourist attraction in its self, the town and atmosphere seemed to bring out the best in everyone. Careful with the drink , it is very easy to get caught in the moment here. I did. (Try the Nashe's red lemonade, it is all but impossible to find once back in the states and is GREAT with the Jameson)

Room Tip: Ask for the Sea View, its worth it.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank candicra
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 3 May 2011

My wife and I recommend Pax House to anyone going to Dingle. It's first place ranking is well earned and deserved. We sought a relaxing get-away after a hectic business schedule and Pax House delivered. John runs a great guest house and the staff could not be more helpful and friendly. They gave us a home in Dingle. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water have fabulous views
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FGFUSA
carolinas
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I'm a bit confused as I read all these 5 star reviews that refer to somebody called John as the proprietor of Pax. As I'm sure the O'Farrell fella will admit, he provides support and assistance to a border collie mix named Rio who rules the place with a sure paw. If you're a dog owner who has left a pet behind Rio will rush in to fill the void. Rent one of the downstairs rooms with a patio and Rio will join you en suite as they say.
O'Farrell does help out a bit. He'll show up with tea when you don't expect but it's most welcome. He'll throw a wrap on you if he thinks you're cold. Little things like that.
I told John when we left that Pax was the most beautiful B&B we had ever stayed in and that it had nothing to do with the view..

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms with patio rock.
Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank francismatthew
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I have never underestimated the impact lodging has on a vacation; if you stay in a bad or mediocre place, the entire vacation can seem lacking. Stay in a fantastic place and the entire vacation becomes better than advertised. The latter is the case with Pax House. My wife had been to Dingle years ago so we knew what to expect from the beauty of the area but our stay at the Pax House raised the bar. If our family ever finds our way back to Dingle, I wouldn't want for us to stay anywhere else.

I decided to book at Pax House primarily because it was ranked High on Trip Advisor but I also contacted other B&Bs in Dingle to check on availability. I'm certain that we would have been happy at any of the other places but John's reply to my email was like getting an email from a friend. He went above and beyond from describing location and things to do to giving directions and even offering to adjust the breakfast menu for anyone in our party who may have food allergies (which was the case). He succeeded in establishing a warm and inviting welcome.

Upon arriving, we discovered that the location was just as beautiful as he described. The view is magnificent and it is decorated very comfortably. John is the consummate host and no detail is overlooked: binoculars in the rooms to enjoy the views; reflective vests for walks into town; beds turned down at night; warmed stuffed animals at night for children; and treats at night on the nightstand are some of the many perks.

Breakfasts were nothing short of decadent and each serving is a work of art, both in flavor and aesthetically. Special recognition goes to the serving staff who did just as remarkable of a job as John in making everyone feel special.

Truly, I can find no fault here. It is not like you are just staying someplace for the night but it is an experience where everyone, including my 7 year old and 4 year old, felt like we were being catered to. Thank you John!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family