“happy daze in dingle”
Review of Pax Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingle
Pax Guest House
Ranked #1 of 76 Dingle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We spent two wonderful nights here in July with our pet pug Mabel who was looked after like a Queen by John-having her own bespoke breakfast sausages served in tin foul moulded into the shape of a swan. Young children having breakfast with their parents were invited into the garden to where the roamning hens laid eggs and were invited to take thenewly laid eggs into the kitchen.The eggs ,miraculously were iprinted with the names of the children, a magical memory that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. Apart from the excellent quality of the accomodation and the food, the splendid view of Dingle Bay and resident dolphin Fungi there was a magical ambience and friendliness which was indefineable. We would have no hesitation in recommending Pax for young old Irish American Russian or Slav. If Ireland had a hundred Johns there would be no room on the island for the locals.

Room Tip: ask for a downstairs room facing the bay
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,548)

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was such a delightful stay on our two night journey to the Dingle Peninsula. John and Margaret greeted us with a smile as soon as we arrived. We were early but John took care of us right away. He seated us on the deck to enjoy the views and sunshine with a nice cup of tea and snacks. He apologized that our room wasn't ready and that we had to wait.....we were extremely early so we definitely expected to wait!! But he sure did get our room ready in no time and gave us suggestions for lunch and dinner. We are extremely glad we followed his advice on lunch (Ashes) and dinner (Global Village). John makes the entire B&B feel like home. We met several people and one night we even stayed in to share in wine, cheeses and wonderful conversation. John is also very helpful in planning your days drive on Slea Head. With his advice, we were able to see everything but also stop and take those unexpected turns. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful! I enjoyed the little parfait shooters, yum!! And oh those scones with cream, oh my!! One morning the dining area was packed and they saw we were ready for breakfast, so they cleared off a coffee table and set us up there on the couch. I loved it because I was able to enjoy the views and we had the most wonderful family seated across from us that we were able to enjoy conversations with. All in all, the Pax House is a must when visiting the Dingle area. Definitely a highlight in itself like Slea Head :)

Room Tip: We loved our ground floor room that opened right onto the yard. Just watch out for the chickens that...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveler_at_Heart_09
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have put off this review simply because thinking of my memories here make me tear up and miss it so very badly. This is an absolutely magical place to stay , and I pray I get to return here one day. We stayed 2 nights, wish we would have spent more days here. I hated leaving here... John gives the best information and reviews of places in town. He is beyond helpful. The entire staff makes you feel so comfortable and secure. The breakfast was the best breakfast we had in Ireland . The room was beautiful and had the best view....I went crazy and added a ton of photos! Just wanted people to see how amazing Pax house and Dingle is! I will cherish every memory made here with my husband. Pax house is everything and more, thank you John and wonderful staff for making this an unforgettable experience of a lifetime !

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a sea view, it is worth every penny : )
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shayla L
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Where do I start. We had a lovely stay in early September at the Pax. Having traveled extensively over the years, I have yet to meet an owner as accommodating as John. Here is where the owner truly make a difference in your visit. The attention to detail, his exceptional staff and John's sincere hospitality made this truly the best stay in our two week visit to Ireland. John's energy seems boundless and this spills over to his staff, which equates to some very happy customers who shared and swapped stories over the scrumptious breakfast. I am not certain how he manages to maintain such wonderful hospitality, but please believe all the reviews, this is a don't miss lodging.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boblovesnat
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Ok, I can admit it. There are in this world better accommodations, higher standards and great values than can be found in John's Pax House. That fact is accepted, understood and virtually inarguable. However, when one starts bringing all three factors together in one establishment and adds amazing appointments at every turn, now we've got something of a stellar, unique and exemplary status, something almost not to be missed on a satisfaction level of a Gallarus Oratory, or Slea Head Drive.

It all begins with the attention to detail in correspondence, and a subsequent first knock on the door. As my wife and I first encountered John, he welcomed us by name, despite the fact that there were so many cars (quite impressive for November) in the parking area out front. However did he know that? Hmmmm! (The same occurred with Michelle, our delightful server at breakfast each morning of three there, always with our first names.)

I'd like to focus on each of them as people for just a moment. John is extremely handsome, well possessed and suave, yet simultaneously warm, funny and sharply decisive. He has a great eye for detail and Pax House virtually swims in delightful distractions and whimsically smart, impressive and entertaining appointments. Michelle, who represents John in the dining room while he cooks beautifully in back, is an incredibly poised and winsome lady who takes great care in pleasing those she attends. Her memory for details is superior and she moves quickly and gracefully at every turn. They make a fine well oiled highly professional machine beneath all that warmth and, to borrow a delightful Italian term, sprezzatura: studied nonchalance. It's hard to even imagine, despite their clear passion for personal drive, either as publicly harried.

Others have spoken in much detail of the masterpiece breakfasts so I'll simply say "for sure" to all that. I'd like to point out, that my wife and I counted, on our cozy table for two, over a dozen charming accoutrements which amplified the tone of our first meals' dining atmosphere. Even the felines which live outside are specimens of the highest cuteness essence.

I think I figured out how John achieves it all at such amazingly affordable cost to visitors here. The whole operation has to be a front for a last Mafia Don hiding somewhere in the world and he somehow washes vast sums of dirty money through the place. Either that or Julia Roberts of the great smile and hearty laugh, who is said to stay just next store when visiting the area, covers all the bills because she's so taken with the proprietor of whom I speak.

A simple story that conveys but one of the remarkable standards relative to the excellent rooms at Pax House. When I quietly informed Michelle that we'd needed some towels, an oversight that can happen anywhere on occasion, John came to me a bit later and absolutely insisted I take an upgraded room without having to ourselves repack, despite my protestations that such a gesture was completely unnecessary. As we were leaving three days later, in addition to the little nice surprises I won't spoil for anyone, he asked me to wait a moment as my wife said her goodbyes and sat in the car outside. Again John referenced the forgotten towels to my amazement and rebuttal and would have it no other way. With a winning smile and ferociously determined eyes, he handed me a wrapped quality gift which was conveyed wordlessly as impossible to refuse.

I so rarely hit "excellent" in each separate category for any travel accommodations experience as value for the money is often anoffset settling for a "very good" in many experiences. This is in keeping with the norms elsewhere of "one gets that for which one pays", in which case my final light tab was proof that is not always and absolute the case.

What an amazing value and impressive property is Pax House in its total reflection of the quality of its owner, a man I'll never forget and my wife and I hope to thoroughly enjoy again over what has become for me many lifetime visits to the Dingle Peninsula.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank preglad
Reviewed 23 November 2013

John has really thought of everything at Pax Guest House. I arrived late with my husband and he offered to taxi us to our restaurant, rather than have us walk. (Although, our room had reflective vests had we chosen to walk.) The room also came with guides to Dingle and binoculars to better see Fungi, the Dingle dolphin.

If the B&B and Dingle weren't so beautiful, I'd have a hard time getting out of the luxurious bed that was in our room. And breakfast was one of the best meals that I had in my entire eleven day trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We spent 14 nights in Ireland and stayed at some great accommodations, but Pax House was our favorite. The location is great, just outside of town and a bit of a walk as it was raining, but would be fine in warmer weather. We had a car so it didn't matter. The house was quiet with great views of the bay. Our bed was the most comfortable on the trip with lovely linens and Irish wool blankets. The breakfast was truly 5 star, in taste, presentation, and service. John is warm and gracious. I would go back to Ireland just to stay here! Dingle is a great town to boot.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple