“working farm”

Ranked #58 of 75 Dingle B&B and Inns
Anderson, South Carolina
“working farm”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Evidently a son of the former owner is now running this farm, and a sister-in-law does the breakfast. My husband enjoyed connecting with the farmer,but he was not overly talkative, still, we enjoyed our stay and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 90joyful100

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed here because we thought it would be fun to stay on a real farm. Accommodations were nice enough, perfectly fine (you are on a farm, remember), everything was clean, and they provided an excellent breakfast--probably the best breakfast we had. If you're going to Dingle you probably have a car so the location (just 2 km from town) shouldn't be an issue, and it was very nice and quiet here. The X factor at a B&B is your hosts, and that’s what’s missing here. Reading the reviews over the past several years, I think that the husband and wife that used to run the B&B are no longer there. One older review alludes to the wife having passed away; I believe I saw the older gentleman one morning who waved to be across the yard. But the people now running the B&B don’t seem to me to have their heart in it. My guess is that they keep it running for the income, not because they love meeting the travelers who come thru the door. The woman I emailed to book the room met us when we arrived, showed us our room, and then I never saw her again. There was a younger man (in his 40’s?) who we saw talking to one couple when we first arrived, who I never saw again until we paid for our room, and then he chatted me up for quite a while about our route, where to drive, how to get there, etc. I wish we had met him a little earlier in our stay. There were two other women who served and cleaned up the breakfast room; it didn’t appear to me that they were part of the family at the farm, but I could be wrong about that. They were friendly but a little rushed when we asked questions about what to see and where to go. In the end, it was more hotel than B&B. So if you want a clean, quiet, out of the way place to stay and don’t care about whether or not you interact with your hosts, you will like Killfountain Farm. If you’re looking for a warm and fuzzy rapport with your hosts, you will be very disappointed. I don’t want to knock any of them personally, those I did speak to were nice enough, it just it was it is… this B&B is not about the hosts, it’s about clean spacious rooms and excellent breakfast for a very good value. Note: they had the best black pudding we had in Ireland, actually the only black pudding I liked; it’s all in the seasoning, and this was very good.

A word of caution to US travelers: we thought it would be fun to be on a farm, I love farm animals, but because it was rainy the fields were all muddy so we neither went into the fields nor went anywhere near the animals. This was a blessing in disguise. When you go through customs and immigration for the US, you have to declare if you’ve been on a farm or come into contact with any livestock. We had to answer yes on our customs forms to these questions, and the customs official told us that had we actually gone into the fields they would have had to go through our things to make sure that all of our stuff was clean from the livestock. Staying at the farm was totally OK, but stay away from fields and animals.

Room Tip: From what we saw when other guests had their doors open, it looked like all three of the rooms right...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Meridith M
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The owners and staff are very friendly, the accomodation is of a good standard and the breakfast is great. Located within a 5 minute taxi ride into Dingle town I can definitely recommend Killfountain farm.

ps. if you need a taxi make sure to call Mr. Sheehy (local taxi driver) as he will charge EUR8.00 for four people to travel to the town centre while other taxis will charge you EUR12

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Eddiebig
Rocky Point, New York
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We stayed at this b/b in August 2011. The property is very rural rather run down but that should be expected for working farm. The owner was so pleasant that you could overlook the very simple interior and all the furnishings.The linens and room were clean. Bathroom was large enough but be sure to pack your own toiletries.The traditional Irish breakfast was amazing!! My little girl met one of the the little fellas named Seamus .. such a cutie little boy.He showed her his kittens and cows! Very memorable for her you can bet. I would recommend this BB for the charm and it's close location to Dingle and the sights, which are breathtaking!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank irisheyes67_11
Minnesota
Reviewed 9 August 2011

After reading the reviews here, we chose this B&B for three reasons: it was less expensive than in town; we thought it would be quieter; we thought our daughter would enjoy staying on a real farm. It was less expensive, but we would not stay here again. Despite the fact that I had called ahead to let them know exactly when we were coming, we were greeted by one person staring at us, then another, then the question, "Are you looking for someone?" The hostess was later apologetic, but it wasn't exactly a warm welcome. Then there was the large blob of hair in the toilet (ugh), one towel that felt like sandpaper, a broken shower door, and completely inadequate water pressure (toilet doesn't do the job, then takes several minutes to refill). Our first night one of the dogs barked non-stop for an hour in the middle of the night (so much for quiet). The next day when we returned, they were burning garbage or brush under our window and all our belongings smelled of smoke. When we asked for another tea bag (only one was provided in a room for 3), it was delivered with a cold stare. Perhaps we caught them on a bad day, but it seemed all too clear that running the B&B was not the family's main priority. My husband described it as "a farm with a Motel-6 attached."

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank kittypye
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I didn't get the pleasure of meeting his wife, but Mr. Lynch was more than helpful in accommodating us. He was a little soft spoken until the next morning at breakfast, where he had us all laughing at some of his stories. It must have been a full house, as all the breakfast tables were filled with people. Breakfast was great as was the coffee! Mr. Lynch was super nice, and we were remarking later that he'd be great to go grab a pint of Guinness with.

The accommodations were good, but remember that you're on a farm. Don't expect luxurious surroundings and you'll be fine :) There were 3 of us, and we had the triple room ensuite. The bathroom was pretty small, but was fine. This was also the only B&B we stayed in during our trip that provided a mini fridge, which came in handy. The beds were comfy enough.

The B&B is located just a couple of minutes drive outside of town, which makes for a peaceful evening (no traffic, no noise at night!). When you drive up to the place, there are a couple of buildings. The one directly in front of you (as you drive up) is the one you need to go to. The building on the left is living quarters for other people (which we found out as we knocked on their door and seemingly woke someone up... oops).

All in all, I'd stay here again. I would have loved more time to sit and chat with Mr. Lynch, but we were there for only 1 night and had to drive north the next morning. He advised us to take Connor's Pass and showed us some pictures he had taken from the Pass. It did not disappoint. Connor's Pass was spectacular! Thanks for the heads up!

Room Tip: Ask for a mini fridge if you need it.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank meskin73
Frankfurt
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Killfountain Farm is the ideal place to stay if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing accomodation. The farm is located just a few kilometres outside of the vivid town of Dingle and can be easily reached by car, bike and even by foot, if you're not in a hurry (there is a beautiful shortcut through the fields, which the owner will be glad to show you).
My room was spacious and well-equipped with everything I needed. The freshly-prepared Irish breakfast was tasty and rich.
The Lynch family, who runs the farm and B&B are helpful, open and friendly people. All members of the family did their best to make my stay as comfortable as possible. They gave me a lift to town whenever I needed it and even drove me to some sightseeing in the region (ask for the "Killfountain Stone"...). I really enjoyed my stay with the Lynch family and felt very welcome and home on their farm.
I would suggest Killfountain Farm especially for families: It is a real, working farm and the kids will have a lot of fun with the cattle or playing with the dogs.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo