“Do not stay at this B & B”
Review of Old Mill House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingle
Old Mill House
Ranked #75 of 75 Dingle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2009

the room was relatively clean. The towels had makeup on them and were damp,grey in colour and very hard. When I asked Tom for a clean towel, he advised that it was difficult to keep them clean and get them dry. New towels were provided and when used the next morning they were full of holes. The anodised glasses provided in the room were inside one another and when pulled apart were wet, we didnt know whether they were clean or not washed from previous tenants. It was pre-arranged for breakfast between 0800 - 0830 the next morning. When we came down at 0815am nobody was around. We went for a walk and came back at 0830am. Still nobody around. The breakfast table had been set the night before and the jam on the table (with the sun coming in) looked thick and most un-appetising. We decided that we couldnt eat breakfast at this place. So we left. As part of the advertising for this place Veronica advertises herself as an RN ( I'm assuming she is currently registered, because if she isnt this is a breach of the Act) It is an insult to professional nurses when such an establishment is clearly in breach of occupational health and safety standards. the IrishTourism Bureau should pay both B & B's managed by Tom and Veronica a visit and take them off the list. They do not add to the Tourism of Dingle in any way, except as an detraction.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daphy9

Reviewed 16 January 2009

What can I say...it was the middle of winter and there was no heating on in the house, it was just below freezing outside and there was no heat on in the room....ridiculous...and the duvets were so thin that I had to sleep in my coat.

It was relatively clean but there were no towels and no extra blankets to keep warm with.

It said on a sign in the room that breakfast was served between certain times but I went down at those times and there was no sign of anyone.

It was basically a charge for a bed and breakfast with no breakfast and a freezing cold bed. The only good thing about this place was the location, but for the price I am sure you could find a far better property that actually served breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank EveyEire
Reviewed 20 September 2008

we booked accomadation at the old mill house, giving how it is presented on their web site. One of the reasons we chose that place is because they advertised that they had a hidro sauna ( good for arthiritus etc). When we arrived we were greeted by a child whom was home alone, she asked us to call back in one hour. As we were talking to the child we noticed that the hall way looked filthy. Some time later tom arrived with a bag of towels over his back. He brought us to the room. The room was presentable however there was damp patches around the window area. We asked tom about the sauna, he looked bewildered, paused and then replied that it was not working. Based on not having access to the sauna given that one of us had a medical condition we decided to book into a hotel. We informed tom of same, he sugested that we could avail of a house that he has with a jacuzzi. we didnt take him up on his offer and left. Wewouldnt recommend this place. Thought it was very unprofessional and thier web site is misleading advertisement.

Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank gismo14
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I stayed at this place for 1 night only,after booking 3 nights. Given scratchy thin towel, glass in bathroom still dirty from previous guest. No one there at 9am for breakfast, no one contactable through day. Veronica obviously cannot cope with running the establishment with her other day to day schedule, so does set a very poor standard. Checked out and went to Dingle Bay hotel, absolutely wonderful and only 10 euro more than this dreadful b and b.
Robyn, Australia

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank jakelucy
Reviewed 24 May 2008

My husband and I ended up staying at the Old Mill House by pure deception. We had originally booked our stay at the Kirrary Bed and Breakfast owned by Eileen Collins (by the way a lovely place to stay with exceptional service). Upon arriving in Dingle, and searching for our place of original reservation, we came upon the owner of the Mill House. They told us they were Eileen and Tom Collins and that they owned both B&B's!!!! Why wouldn't we believe them?!!! It seemed absolutely insane to lie, but guess what....they did. After two nights, THE REAL Tom Collins contacted us by email and asked where we were. We were astounded, embarassed, and MAD. We left the Old Mill House that night and checked into Kirrary House. On top of all the deception (we now call this small Adventure "The Dingle Deception") the breakfast was mediocre and they turned the heat off at night when they left the house (they don't live there). After leaving, I confronted the real owners - who basically had nothing to say. sort of an attitude of "Oh well". Addtionally, they charged us for the night we DID NOT stay. What is wrong with these people!! Whatever you do, STAY AWAY!!!!

Stayed: February 2008
7  Thank farley_billings
Reviewed 19 May 2008

It’s amazing to see how differently people can view the same facilities. My wife, my son and I just returned from Dingle last night, and I hope I can get this on the board quickly enough to save some other poor traveler. Our experience with the Conor Pass Cottage, and one other of this couples’ properties, was horrifying.

We arrived a couple of hours early last Saturday, and were whisked right out to the Conor Pass Cottage, which we had reserved based just on the website. When we got there the previous victims were still in the process of moving out, their faces bearing the stunned expressions you typically see on refugees of natural disasters. The place was filthy. Not dirty, not dusty, but filthy. As (apparently) ignorant and naïve Americans we weren’t aware that we were supposed to bring our own towels (the website does state “linens and towels provided”) so we requested some, and were eventually supplied with two threadbare hand towels and a single bath towel which, as near as I can tell, had recently been used to bathe sheep. It smelled horrible.

That afternoon, we went to Old Mill House and my wife told the owner that we were unhappy, and asked for our money back. She refused, but said she could move us to another property. (Apparently, she owns seven of them.) So, she piled us into her van and took us to a small row house atop the main street in town. A much better location, and marginally less dirty. We accepted, and were assuming at this point that perhaps all Dingle self-catering cottages were in this class. Thank goodness we were eventually proven wrong. Anyway, we moved our belongings into this cottage, and this, too, was so dirty that I spent the first hour cleaning the kitchen to make it at least bearable. Remember, we’re still on our first day after a 7PM flight from Boston to Dingle, a 3 hour drive, and now two moves. We’d gotten some groceries, and upon opening the fridge door to put them in, the door FELL OFF and onto the floor. I propped it back together, but due to a missing part, the door could only be opened if you held it up while opening. There was a 12 inch television with 4 remotes. None worked, and as there was no volume control aside from the remote, it was so loud that you couldn’t comfortably watch the television. The stove was unusable, simply due to the corroded and stained condition of the burner surfaces. I managed to clean a few bowls and the microwave to the point where I felt safe using them, but the state of the pots and pans was dismal. The faucet handles had some sort of irremovable, indestructible residue that none of my scrubbing or cursing could remove.

There was an odor in the entire place - just dirt, I suppose, but upon entering the master bedroom, there is the slight smell of something decaying. It’s centered around the bedroom door. The owner’s portrait stares at you from the wall at the foot of the bed. The eyes don’t actually follow you around the room, but it’s still a bit eerie. We took it down, just in case.

Time passed, and we reached a level of tolerance and acceptance of our situation. We decided our fate in Dingle was to spend brief spells in the cottage, and we’d simply remain outside the rest of the time. We informed her of the television problem, the refrigerator door problem, etc. We also asked if toilet paper was provided, and were scolded a bit about this as well.

Day three… upon leaving the local grocery store, I spy the owner escorting what appeared to be two fresh victims along the street with her bicycle. I hailed her, she waved me over and fished four, 2 cent flat washers from her pocket… the fix for the fridge. I have to give her credit for that. She said she’d be by to fix it; I took the washers and told her I could handle it. My wife once again mentioned towels. At 10:45 that evening, just after my wife retired, and as I’m wondering whether or not I should put wads of toilet paper in my ears to watch television, a knock on the door. It’s her, with more threadbare towels, and a brief, hushed lecture – again – about packing our own towels and TP next time. She also at this time informed us that on Friday morning she’d have to move us again into her B&B because she’d booked someone into our new home on Friday. We were supposed to be with her until Saturday.

Day 4. My birthday. I trot off to hike Mt. Brandon, my wife and son do a dolphin cruise. Because of new boots, I come home with whopping blisters on my heels. The place is so dirty that when I patch up my heels I don’t dare walk around or sleep without Neosporin, band-aids, and socks on. That puts my wife over the edge, and the next morning she tackles the owner in the B&B with other guests present. She politely but with great forcefulness negotiates a partial refund (roughly one night’s worth of the full week we pre-paid). We tell her we’ll be out the next morning.

Working with the wonderfully helpful tourist center personnel, we manage to find a new home that’s not only less expensive, but pleasant, modern, stylish, and nearly sterile… with a closet full of towels, toilet paper, and an actual working remote, DVD, and stereo! We’re out of the house of horrors by 4:30 on Wednesday, and in self-catered luxury! Of course, now we’re “double-paying” for three nights, but it was well worth it! Had we been there during the high season, we’d have been stuck where we were, and we'd have thought our stay was typical of Dingle cottages.

Dingle is a wonderful place. We’ve been there twice now, and we’ll go again. The people are a credit to Ireland, the pubs are great, and the atmosphere just can’t be beat. But, choose your accommodations with care.

Stayed: May 2008
8  Thank KP999
Reviewed 25 April 2008

4 of us stayed in the Old Mill House last weekend (April). First of all, I booked the Bay Watch B&B which is owned by the same couple, but they only had one room and as we needed two, they asked us to go over to their other B&B, the Old Hill House. It is April which can be really cold in Ireland and it was about 5 degrees celsius outside. When we entered the house, the hall was cold but we thought the rooms should be fine. The rooms were like iceboxes. I have been living in Ireland for 4 years so I know what cold means and it was cold even for me let alone my friends who were coming from Hungary where the average temperature in a house would be 20-23 degrees celsius. In this B&B the temperature was about 8-10. We were freezing. We asked the husband to put the heating on for a couple of hours; he said he would. We went for dinner, 2 hours later when we got back, the radiators were freezing and the rooms were the same cold. I rang Veronica asking her to bring us 2 radiators that we could plug in or come over and turn the heating on and leave it on for a couple of hours. She said that the heating was on thermostat and the plumbers set it and she cannot change it. What a [-] story! Anyway it was coming on when she arrived and she said it would be on until 1 am and it will come on again at 7 am until 9 am. Of course it did not. We woke up again in the icecubes. Breakfast was good apart from the fact that we asked for mayonnaise. She said she had no mayo because it goes off during this time of the year and they only get it for the salads at the summer. What an inaccurate account! Just tell us you do not have any mayo!!! Anyway she said she had to go to work but her husband would be over in a couple of minutes to get the payments off us. He did and we explained to him nicely what we were not satisfied with and we are only willing to pay €50/room instead of €70. He accepted, took the money and we left. 5 days after I noticed that the rest of the money was taken out of my Visa!!!!!!! I rang her and she pretended she did not know about it and she had to talk to her husband. That is where the story is at at the moment. I hope I will get my money back, because this is FORGERY! They took the money out without letting me know, without asking for my signature or my pin code. PLEASE DO NOT STAY IN ANY OF THEIR B&Bs and read all the comments before you book a b&b any more! Be careful!

Stayed: April 2007