“Interesting but uninspiring”

48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Interesting but uninspiring”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I love old and ancient sites and artefacts so am not normally bored visiting such places. However, I felt totally uninspired during my recent visit to the BeeHive huts on the Dingle Peninsula. It was plain to see that restorative work is being carried out on some of the huts and that obviously affects the atmosphere of the place but I still felt it was lacking in some other way. These huts have a lot of history and stories to tell but I didn't get any of that. More attention needs to be afforded to this attraction by the private owner and relevant agencies or bodies. Also, if you're wheelchair bound or have difficulty walking up steep slopes then this attraction will not suit. Come on Kerry, you're better than this.

On the plus side, once you've reached the BeeHive huts the views of the surrounding area are splendid.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank IrishDownUnder

45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“A worthwhile stop”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Our guide knew the owner so we met the lady who lives there in her 500 year old home! She was most charming! She charges 2 euro to view the beehive huts and we were more than happy to pay her for the experience. Amazing how people lived in these dwellings. Some were small, others were community buildings which were a bit larger. This is not one of those touristy stops, just a chance to view some interesting things. Well worth it I thought.

Visited May 2014
Sun Valley, Idaho
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Cool but not fabulous!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

The idea is better than the actual sighting. Fun to see, but you have to pay to do it.
The best part is the steep walk up to see the huts. It is truly the best view around. And all the sheep are fun to watch!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Myra F
Belfast
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Worth seeing if you are in the area”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Visited this afternoon with husband and toddler. It isn't your usual tourist attraction, no toilet block or tour guide. You pay €2 per adult and get an information leaflet then make your way up to the beehive..only one in operation at present as the others are being rebuilt. Parking is on the other side of the road.

Billings, Montana
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“A Bit of Archaeology”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

On the Dingle Peninsula our coach tour had a 10 minute photo stop at the Fahan Group Beehive Huts which are ancient, corbel roofed, stone houses. Many of the huts have been excavated archaeologically and some have been reconstructed. The huts are dated to about the 12th century. With greater access to the property, I could have spent several hours here but it was only a photo stop for our tour. The property owner charges €2 per person to get up close to the reconstructed huts next to the highway. We paid the fee, as did hundreds of other tourists, to get closer and to enter some of the huts for better viewing and for a more intimate feel of the living space, as well as for photos.

There are several websites that describe the bee hive huts throughout Ireland and explain more about their construction and history.

I only rated this a 3 because of the short time we were able to visit. I would liked to have had the entire day to scour the hill side. If I had that opportunity I'm sure this would have a 5 rating from me. Although I could spend all day here, I suspect most people would be satisfied with a few photos and a brief walk around the property so I will say that a typical visitor would probably spend less than an hour here. I do feel like the €2 fee is pretty high considering the time spent was only 10 minutes and because there are hundreds of coach tourists stopping here. It is difficult to get a photo without some unknown tourist in your picture.

There are no facilities available, no: food, bathroom, storage, etc. The walking surface is soil driveway and pasture grass.

Visited September 2013