“Delightful B & B with Dingle Bay on Your Doorstep”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingle
Ranked #51 of 75 Dingle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband and I just returned from a month's stay at the Blooming Wildflower Cottage in Dingle. It was absolutely delightful and among the very best B&B's we stayed in during our year's travel in Europe. We stayed in the "apartment" which was self-catering, so my review pertains to that; however, our friends joined us and they stayed in a B&B room and were quite pleased too! Because we stayed in the self-catering apartment, we didn't have the full breakfast, although our hosts invited us too; but, we did partake of the excellent yogurt, brown bread, warm scones, and coffee! So tasty! Our friends enjoyed their "cook to order" breakfasts.

Top 8 reasons to stay at the Blooming Wildflower Cottage
1. Marianne and Tommy, the hosts and owners are absolutely delightful. They couldn't do enough for us and extended many, many kindnesses! We had fresh flowers, a hot water bottle for a cold night, etc., etc. I dare not mention all of the special things they did for us! Suffice to say, we felt pampered. All of the positive reviews about the hosts are true! It's easy to see why Travel Advisor named them as one of the EXCELLENT B&B's for 2013!
2. The location is excellent, right in town! Imagine walking to the pubs, restaurants, marina, grocery store, and all of the sites in beautiful Dingle in 5 minutes! We felt as though we were part of village life. Parking was convenient, just across the street.
3. The "apartment" which is self-catering, had everything we needed to live comfortably for a month, including: oven/stove with 4 burners, oven, and grill; sink, dishwasher, French press, dishes, pots and pans, utensils, serving pieces, wine glasses, cups, placemats, cutting boards, comfortable King (or perhaps Queen) size bed, etc., etc. There is also a TV and DVD player. It's so easy to walk into town, purchase healthy and local produce and meats and cook dinner in the cozy cottage. (See a photo of one of our dinners!) The apartment is also en suite with bath/shower (great water pressure), sink, toilet, space to store toiletries, clothes hampers, etc. Even rarer, it has its own full size washer/dryer and if one wants, one can hang clothes on the clothes line in the garden with a view of all the flowers and the Bay! The apartment is cozy and perfect for a couple. The soft shades of blue are very calming and restful. The apartment was quiet, with only occasional sounds as one might have in a happy home and light traffic on the village street.
4. The apartment, B&B room that our friends stayed in and grounds are beautifully maintained. We had weekly cleaning because we rented for the long-term, but the hosts surprised us by an extra cleaning before our guests arrived to stay in the B&B. We could have had an extra cleaning at any time.
5. The garden is so lovely. It is alive with wildflowers and plants in beautiful pots. Marianne has a Wildflower business, helping to preserve some of the beauty of Ireland! There are cozy chairs and tables in the garden, although it was a bit too cool for us to sit outside on all but a few days during our stay prior to "tourist season." The garden/patio space is shared with another B&B room. We met delightful guests from France, Australia and the States as we came and went about our stay.
6. Close to attractions and sites around Dingle. Marianne was excellent at recommending places we might like to visit from archaeology sites, a drive around the scenic Dingle peninsula, restaurants such as Out of the Blue and the Goat Street cafe, music or "sessions" to hear traditional Irish music, and times for the fresh air market displaying locally grown produce and products!
7. Excellent communication and business arrangements. We made our arrangements via e-mail with Marianne. It was easy to do so and she was very professional and personable. We used our credit card for payment upon arrival and all went well.
8. The hosts have arranged everything from the point of view of the guests. For example, the apartment contained beautiful hard cover books, e.g., Maeve Binchy and other Irish authors among other well known Stateside authors, DVDs of movies made locally such as Ryan's Daughter, brochures listing local attractions, etc.

I can't say enough about this delightful B&B and the hospitality of Marianne and Tommy! The apartment is perfect for a couple who wants to rest, rejuvenate, and relax! As so many guests have stated, they can't wait to return!

Room Tip: I recommend the "apartment" which is self-catering. You can make your own breakfast, or p...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I’m going to try to keep this a brief as possible, but I have a lot to go over. In short, I do not recommend this B&B to anyone nor would I stay here again if I were ever back in the area. Please read the full description for details:

A friend and I stayed for two nights at Blooming Wildflower B&B while in Dingle recently. We chose this B&B because it is located right in town, it’s on the water, and it was priced within our budget. When we first got there, the proprietors were very nice. They showed us our room and private patio and where everything was located.

The room itself was very small. The door to the attached bathroom was difficult to open and close due to how close the bed was to it and the space between the bed and wall was too narrow for a standard rolling suitcase to fit through. Despite the bathroom being on the larger side, there was no convenient place for our luggage to lay flat. A small wardrobe was crammed in the corner between a small wicker chest and the shower

Whenever we turned on the bathroom light, the fan would automatically turn on. The owners asked us not to leave the light on over night because the noise would keep them awake since they stayed directly above us. This was fine with us, but when I was packing up late one night, I had the light on and the owners stomped on the ceiling to let me know they were awake. I felt this was irritating since I was using the bathroom at the time and I had the light on for a good reason.

The private patio was full of furniture and flowerpots. It was pretty, however it was too cluttered with everything to maneuver a suitcase comfortably. Additionally, the entrance was around the back of the house and accessible from an alley. This would be fine, except there was no light in the alley whatsoever. Whenever we returned at night, it was very dark in the alley and the back of the house. For two females in a foreign city, this was uncomfortable. I was sure to turn on the back door light before we left, but it was always off when we came back.

We noticed a cat walking around the inside of the house and later, my friend noticed cat hair on the pillows. Since she is extremely allergic to cats, this was potentially dangerous. Thankfully, she did not suffer a reaction. Still, I think it’s unprofessional for pets to have access to where the guests stay.

I was interrupted in the shower one afternoon by one of the owners knocking on my door suggesting I move my car. (No parking lot, street parking only.) I appreciated the information I was given, but it was obvious I was in the shower and it could have waited a moment.

Despite free wifi being advertised and having been given the login credentials to access it, the wifi was very patchy and unreliable in our room. One night I wasn’t able to reach my husband over FaceTime due to the poor connection and I had to keep re-entering the credentials for my tablet to recognize the network. I understand that free wifi is a perk, but if it’s going to be advertised as an amenity, it should be reliable.

Both mornings we were there, we did not receive a hot breakfast since we had to leave so early. This wouldn’t have been a problem, but the daily rate was not discounted and I felt it should have been since it included a cooked meal. I can’t comment on the quality of the food since we didn’t have any.

Finally, even though the website said they accept credit cards, the owners insisted we pay with cash. We did not have cash on us when we checked out and we had to get to the airport. We ended up going to an ATM in town and cutting into our travel time. At no time during our stay did they mention not accepting credit cards. Had we known, we would have gotten cash well before check out so we could have been better prepared. If they only accept cash, they should advertise that. Since they advertise accepting cards, they should actually do so.

Dealing with any one of these issues might have been easily looked over. It’s when many little things add up that irritation sets in and makes the stay less than enjoyable. I love visiting Dingle and this was my second time in the area. I do plan on returning, but not to this B&B.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank SandsLVT
Bloomingwildflower, Owner at Blooming Wildflower Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Since you are the same party that wrote the last review, we repeat that we are very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you by our wee historic Bed & Breakfast by the sea. May I extend our most sincere apologies that you were disappointed in your stay with us. We take your comments on board in relation to the lack of professionalism and thank you for your feedback.

Unfortunately, for some travellers like you, it is correct that we are not a purpose built business catering to the demands of night owls. We are a family run B&B for guests who prefer to stay in an Irish cottage by the sea with a friendly, native, mature Kerry family.

We are indeed startled and amazed that you have given incorrect information about us, our diligent cleaning staff and, finally yet importantly, our poor little innocent cat who is never allowed inside the guest rooms.

To address your complaints, here are the facts about the room called the Captain’s Quarters on the Seashore where you stayed.
(1) This unit is not small compared to European standards. Total measurements are 29 ft. by 32 ft.(13 Ft by 20 Ft inside space and the room’s private seaside deck is 16 ft by 12 ft)
(2) Two traditional cement walls exist between this room and the luxury suite across the hallway.
(3) Actually, no steps exist to the Captain’s Quarters because it is wheelchair friendly.
(4) The light switch to spotlight this private deck and garden area is easily located.
It is just inside the private entrance door to the Captain’s Quarters.
*(5) Regarding interruptions from the proprietors, we felt it was our responsibility to advise you that your car was parked illegal in the middle of the road and therefore blocking traffic.
(6) Regarding interruptions from other guest and the proprietors, I question the validity of this complaint. I remember knocking on your door with two homemade slices of lemon cake with our compliments and as a gesture of goodwill. Then again, I also remember putting your breakfast tray on the mini bar each morning of your stay.
(7) At 3:00 A.M., the man and his wife on the other side of the house complained about you waking them out of a sound sleep with a ruckus and the sound of breaking glass. They thought someone was breaking in and asked us to phone the guards.
(8) At 6:30 A.M., upon your departure, you were never chased and followed up the street. You were “quietly” motioned from our front door to come in to make it easier for you to pay your bill without disturbing the other guests.

In conclusion, we appreciate all feedback from our guests as it assists us in continuing to improve and address any issues that may arise. Clearly, we failed to meet with our own high standards of customer care on this occasion.

Tommy and Marianne
The Wood on Dingle Bay Seashore

Reviewed 8 June 2013

For those of you that do not like to read long reviews, I am going to try quickly sum up my experience at the Blooming Wildflower Cottage B&B. Excuse the choppy subjects. The room was very small and cluttered with needless furniture and trinkets. There was no appropriate room to place our suitcases and access them for wardrobe changes. The bed was horrible and felt very much like a floppy sagging sling. Beware of allergies- there was a heavy down comforter (in June) and a roaming cat inside the B&B. I suffer allergies and definitely felt them kicking in when I laid down to sleep, albeit mildly. There were traces of the cat of hair on the bedding inside our room. We had virtually no privacy as we were interrupted by other guests sharing the B&B. These interruptions were both while we were inside our room and outside, night and day. The proprietors also interrupted our stay on a couple of occasions including banging on floor (our ceiling) and the door to our room while one females was there alone and trying to shower. How awkward and uncomfortable! The bathroom was cluttered with unnecessary furniture, was very dim, and not quite clean. I can only describe it as MUNG that was coating the vent fan on the ceiling and dingy bathroom corners. The patio out back left a nice view but was difficult to traverse in the dark when we returned from dinner. It was also hard to enjoy the view since the deck was also cluttered with items and not well cleaned. The patio door onto the deck would not unlock to air out the room when it got a bit warm. And the deck was not private with other guests also using it. Parking was off street and inconvenient for loading and unloading personal belongings. The entrance to our room was difficult to access because we had to lift our luggage up (instead of rolling it) and walk down a 100ft grassy alleyway, through a narrow gate and up a couple of stairs. After dark, this alley was unlit, unsafe, and just plain creepy. Lastly- they were supposed to accept credit card according to all advertisements and website indications. The proprietors chased us down as we were loading our car across the street and persistently refused to accept credit card for payment. We were forced to run into town to an ATM and get the cash for them. This hassle made us late for the next planned drive. The whole check out process was actually very rude. Just completely unacceptable! I believe that this specific location is not well suited to be run as a B&B. It was clearly not built to suit that purpose and obviously has rice paper for walls. I wouldn’t recommend this B&B to anyone. It literally was the worst place I have ever stayed on my multiple trips to Dingle town. Perhaps the worst B&B I have visited in all of Ireland. There are more comfortable locations within the same price range and within walking distance to town centre.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine any room being worth the hassle.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank JB AC B

We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused to you by our wee historic Bed & Breakfast by the sea. May I extend our most sincere apologies that you were disappointed in your stay with us. We take your comments on board in relation to the lack of professionalism and thank you for your feedback.

(1) This unit is not small compared to European standards. Total measurements are 29 ft. by 32 ft. (13 Ft by 20 Ft inside space and the room’s private seaside deck is 16 ft by 12 ft)

It is just inside the private entrance door to the Captain’s Quarters.

(5) Thank you for telling us that the original artwork depicting the Blasket Islands and the nautical sculptures of The Captain and the Bosom by a famous Cornwall artist offended you.

(6) Regarding interruptions from other guest and the proprietors, I question the validity of this complaint. I remember knocking on your door with two homemade slices of lemon cake with our compliments and a gesture of goodwill. Then again, I also remember putting your breakfast tray on the mini bar each morning of your stay with us
someone was breaking in and asked us to phone the guards.

Tommy and Marianne
The Wood on Dingle Bay Seashore

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We were a young couple travelling around Ireland and spent 2 nights at the cottage. When we arrived we were greeted at the door by the lovely hostess and offered a choice of rooms (we were travelling beginning of April so still quiet) - ofcourse we took the bay view - no contest. Absolutely amazing view with your own little decking - unfortunately the weather wasn't quite our friend. The bed was comfy and the bathroom a good size. We were offered lots of info on things to do and they even turned a little fridge on for our cider :) Breakfast was cooked fresh and was lovely. The view was even better from the top floor.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha712
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Having traveled the lovely road from Tralee by bus, we 3 American ladies of 60 years or more were pleasantly greeted by Marianne and Tommy. I immediately knew they would graciously guide us to maximize the short time we had to spend in Dingle. They helped us arrange ourselves in two rooms and allowed us to settle in before offering options for filling our time. Soon, Marianne drove us through town to help orient us.

She pointed out eating establishments, shops, and places of interest that each of us expressed a desire to find. This was so helpful because later when on foot we knew which way to travel. The walk to town from the Inn was easy and enjoyable along the bay.

The praise I have for their ability to anticipate our needs is very high. They cared for us in the gentle way relatives care for their visitors when wishing them to have the time of their lives. They had a sense of what would be best given the weather and our time frame. Their knowledge of the local possibilities was fabulous and they quickly contacted Tim Collins to take us on a guided tour throughout the Dingle Peninsula. The small van he drove aided us in getting to places the larger buses would not be able to go. Tim was friendly and informative. It was the perfect use of our time.

The breakfasts were fabulous. We individually ordered the night before so that the freshest ingredients could be used. The presentation at the table overlooking the Dingle Bay was a highlight of my journey from America. The serene setting and slow paced atmosphere were welcome changes from other parts of our travels. Tommy's secret ingredient for the porridge was a hit with all of us.

Book early for there are only 3 beautiful rooms to choose from. Each has its own treasures but two have fabulous views of the bay. Be prepared to be pampered!!

Room Tip: Ask for bay view but enjoy the other if that is the only one available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gail J
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We didn't have the pleasure to stay in the Blooming wildflower apartment because our confirmed reservation was cancelled. After informing us that our requested dates were available, I emailed the owner with my credit card information. I received a confirmation email with our total amount due, check in and out time, and "We look forward to welcoming you to the wildflower cottage May 20th. Marianne & Tommy"
A few days later, I received an email saying our reservation was cancelled and our credit card would not be charged. I emailed back to ask why our confirmed reservation was cancelled, but never received a reply. By this time, our second and third choice B&B's in Dingle were fully booked. The apartment looks awesome but it's not worth the risk to book here. Very unprofessional.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank summermarie62

Dear Summermarie 62,

We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused you. We experienced a glitch in our reservation system; a relatively uncontrollable mistake for which we sincerely apologise. We trust that you will forgive us for disappointing you with this irritating disturbance to your plans.

Fortunately, it was a short-lived communications error and program
malfunction causing multiple registering of our rooms. We had everything fixed
within 12 hours and did our best to notify you right away of the mistake in your booking
In addition, we did offer alternative accommodation in which you had more than a month to accept.

Marianne
The Wood on Dingle Bay Shoreline

Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed in the Captain's Room for two nights. The view onto the patio, flowers and water was lovely. We enjoyed having our tea at the small table in the room overlooking the water. The little touches of biscuits and cakes left outside our room were so welcoming. We enjoyed the guidebooks too! Tommy and Marianne were very nice and their recommendations about bike renting were very helpful. Sitting in the breakfast room using the binoculars to look over the water in the morning eating a delicious breakfast was a lovely experience.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DublinBathy
Bloomingwildflower, Owner at Blooming Wildflower Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

RE: COZY,SEAVIEW,LOVELY HOSPITALITY.

Dear Guest,

We are indeed grateful for your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We do hope you will return again to the cozy Captain's Room to enjoy the seaview and to relax over a cup of tea and cake along the beautiful shore of Dingle Bay.

Sincerely, Tommy and Marianne