My husband and I just returned from a month's stay at the Blooming Wildflower Cottage in Dingle. It was absolutely delightful and among the very best B&B's we stayed in during our year's travel in Europe. We stayed in the "apartment" which was self-catering, so my review pertains to that; however, our friends joined us and they stayed in a B&B room and were quite pleased too! Because we stayed in the self-catering apartment, we didn't have the full breakfast, although our hosts invited us too; but, we did partake of the excellent yogurt, brown bread, warm scones, and coffee! So tasty! Our friends enjoyed their "cook to order" breakfasts.
Top 8 reasons to stay at the Blooming Wildflower Cottage
1. Marianne and Tommy, the hosts and owners are absolutely delightful. They couldn't do enough for us and extended many, many kindnesses! We had fresh flowers, a hot water bottle for a cold night, etc., etc. I dare not mention all of the special things they did for us! Suffice to say, we felt pampered. All of the positive reviews about the hosts are true! It's easy to see why Travel Advisor named them as one of the EXCELLENT B&B's for 2013!
2. The location is excellent, right in town! Imagine walking to the pubs, restaurants, marina, grocery store, and all of the sites in beautiful Dingle in 5 minutes! We felt as though we were part of village life. Parking was convenient, just across the street.
3. The "apartment" which is self-catering, had everything we needed to live comfortably for a month, including: oven/stove with 4 burners, oven, and grill; sink, dishwasher, French press, dishes, pots and pans, utensils, serving pieces, wine glasses, cups, placemats, cutting boards, comfortable King (or perhaps Queen) size bed, etc., etc. There is also a TV and DVD player. It's so easy to walk into town, purchase healthy and local produce and meats and cook dinner in the cozy cottage. (See a photo of one of our dinners!) The apartment is also en suite with bath/shower (great water pressure), sink, toilet, space to store toiletries, clothes hampers, etc. Even rarer, it has its own full size washer/dryer and if one wants, one can hang clothes on the clothes line in the garden with a view of all the flowers and the Bay! The apartment is cozy and perfect for a couple. The soft shades of blue are very calming and restful. The apartment was quiet, with only occasional sounds as one might have in a happy home and light traffic on the village street.
4. The apartment, B&B room that our friends stayed in and grounds are beautifully maintained. We had weekly cleaning because we rented for the long-term, but the hosts surprised us by an extra cleaning before our guests arrived to stay in the B&B. We could have had an extra cleaning at any time.
5. The garden is so lovely. It is alive with wildflowers and plants in beautiful pots. Marianne has a Wildflower business, helping to preserve some of the beauty of Ireland! There are cozy chairs and tables in the garden, although it was a bit too cool for us to sit outside on all but a few days during our stay prior to "tourist season." The garden/patio space is shared with another B&B room. We met delightful guests from France, Australia and the States as we came and went about our stay.
6. Close to attractions and sites around Dingle. Marianne was excellent at recommending places we might like to visit from archaeology sites, a drive around the scenic Dingle peninsula, restaurants such as Out of the Blue and the Goat Street cafe, music or "sessions" to hear traditional Irish music, and times for the fresh air market displaying locally grown produce and products!
7. Excellent communication and business arrangements. We made our arrangements via e-mail with Marianne. It was easy to do so and she was very professional and personable. We used our credit card for payment upon arrival and all went well.
8. The hosts have arranged everything from the point of view of the guests. For example, the apartment contained beautiful hard cover books, e.g., Maeve Binchy and other Irish authors among other well known Stateside authors, DVDs of movies made locally such as Ryan's Daughter, brochures listing local attractions, etc.
I can't say enough about this delightful B&B and the hospitality of Marianne and Tommy! The apartment is perfect for a couple who wants to rest, rejuvenate, and relax! As so many guests have stated, they can't wait to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DINGLE TOWN: Waterfront traditional B&B beautifully located on Dingle Bay. Offering stunning sunrises and fascinating sunsets from your bedroom windows. *Featuring Free WIFI. Enjoy our seaside morning room with stunning vistas of the Dingle Harbour. Our menu offers a three course breakfast from a choice of 6 specialities carefully selected to serve you organic, garden fresh and newly baked local foods.Located in a scenic, quiet part of Dingle town two streets away from gourmet restaurants, traditional pubs, craft shops, art galleries and Fungi the dolphin harbor tours. Our friendly hospitality is geared toward those who are interested in the Irish culture from a native's "point of view". We offer clean, warm, newly decorated bedrooms with private bathrooms, plus a seaside terrace with petite wildflower gardens.The wildflower garden on Dingle Bay outside your bedrooms is designed to grow plants that can survive living directly on the sea. ... more less