“Wonderful stay on our first night in Ireland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Liston Family Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dingle
The Liston Family Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 78 Dingle B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Wonderful stay on our first night in Ireland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We arrived at this B&B after a long flight delay and finally making it to Ireland many hours later than expected. We felt instantly right at home with Jill. My partner and I were able to nap while our boys played soccer in her yard after we arrived. Jill was very kind and helpful to us in every way. This B&B has a perfect location...close to town and by all of the sights on the Dingle Peninsula. Jill was very informative about area attractions, even helping us find additional "alphabet stones" that interested me. Our beds were comfortable and the shower was wonderful. (The folding bed my younger son slept in was great for him, but it might be a little soft for others.... we could have booked two rooms if we had chosen to in order to have regular beds for everyone.) Jill had many breakfast options and everything we ate was wonderful. I agree about the yummy porridge, by the way! My advice for others arriving in Ireland is to plan absolutely nothing the first day except for getting to your B&B and settling in. You may think you will sleep on the plane, but you have no control over crying children, turbulence, or other issues that may keep you awake. Jill tried to tell me before we arrived that I might have over-booked our activities and I, thankfully, did scale back my expectations after visiting with her via email, but I would have loved to stay with her at least one more night and allowed myself more time in the Dingle area. I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Trisha44Colorado
sunshinekerry, Owner at The Liston Family Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Trisha, thank you so much for your lovely comments. It was too short a stay but the two boys were a pleasure. It is so lovely to see young boys kicking football around the garden instead of computer games. This time of the year I suppose you are going to get storms/monsoons in America delaying air flights so if Dingle is your first stop when arriving into Shannon Airport it's good to know that you just might loose 6 hours of your valuable stay with delays beyond your control. I'm sure you will be back again in the near future and soak up the atmosphere of the Dingle Peninsula. It was a pleasure knowing you all. ..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Flagler Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We recently spent two nights at this homey bed and breakfast.

This is our third 3 week visit to Ireland in the past 5 years. As a couple who travels quite extensively, we have stayed at many bed and breakfasts. . . at least 9 in Ireland alone. As a free lance travel writer, it is my responsibility to review our experiences from a factual perspective as well as a relative one.

The Good:

1. The owner of this B & B, Jill Liston, has a passion for making sure her guests enjoy this beautiful region of Ireland. She personally knows many of the business owners/musicians/residents of Dingle. As her guests, we had the honor of the "inside track" to experience the best Dingle has to offer. For example, she made a call to ask that we get a front row seat for a concert. . . we did!

2. Our accommodation in #2 on the second floor was a larger than usual room.

3. The typical Irish breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausages, tomato) was well prepared and presented in the small sunny conservatory with a lovely garden view.

4. There is free, fast WIFI in the bedrooms.

5. It's just a 4 minute drive to the center of Dingle.

The Not So Good:

1. The hot water for the tiny shower in that room was not available 24 hours. It seems it is ON in the mornings and evenings only. Suggestion- If you need a shower in the middle of the day, ask Jill to turn on the boiler.

2. The toilet seat in that bathroom does not fit properly and so one cannot ever feel comfortable sitting on it.

3. The toilet paper roll is located very inconveniently on the wall directly behind one's left shoulder and the toilet paper is incredibly flimsy. Suggestion- Bring your own toilet paper and place it where you can reach it.

4. No bath mat provided. Suggestion- use a hand towel

5. The beds in that room are very hard. . . and they need micro-foam topper which are now used in most bed and breakfasts. Suggestion- undo the bottom sheet and place the duvet under it, then sleep under the top sheet and a blanket (in the closet).

6. Although there is good WIFI available, there is not surface in #2 to place one's computer. The chest of drawers should be replaced by a desk or dressing table with drawers. Suggestion- Place you computer on you lap while sitting in a chair. . . not very comfortable. . . but any port in the storm.

7. There is no sitting room for guests

8. There are no labels on the doors to determine where the kitchen or dining room may be. . . there should be.

9. The windows need to be cleaned around the sides in #2. . . when they are opened. I'm sure now they will be.

All things taken into account, at a price of 75 Euros (about $105) per night, we found the Liston B & B to be slightly over priced compared to other bed and breakfasts in Ireland. If we were on the TV show Four in a Bed. . . we would put 67 Euros in the envelope.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sherrrrry
Thank you for your positive comments which I enjoyed reading. I will leave your negative ones for my guests to decide for themselves, but I WILL reply to ALL of them later.
I’d like to quote from your e-mail as follows: “I am a travel writer from the USA on a tight budget…..” I would also appreciate permission to photograph your property for possible future publication” end of quote. WHERE MAY I ask? I quoted my rates when I replied to you and you accepted them, you were under no obligation to stay here, but then to suggest comparing me with “Four in a bed” on TV??

Can I say that when I visited America last year I paid 120 Dollars a night for a single room with no breakfast, or at times ‘polystyrene cups and plates’, and make your own waffles. You mentioned my full Irish breakfast but failed to mention that you both had a second breakfast each morning which included a ‘shot of Irish Cream Liqueur’. There are not many hotels or B/B’s where you can treat yourself, on the house, to an Irish coffee for breakfast each morning. You also failed to mention that there was a choice of 10 breakfasts on my breakfast menu. I would have thought as a “Travel writer” this would have been important.

When in conversation with you while here I was interested to know which organisation or newspaper you wrote for, only to discover you didn’t write for anyone (perhaps just Trip?) neither did you have a Web site or any gallery for which your photography could be seen nor photos bought perhaps? I would consider all my guests to be “Travel writers” and “Photographers” as most keep a Journal and take photos which are not for sale

Reply to your Negative issues:

1. The hot water issue: Having admitted to me yourself that you had just had a 20 minute HOT shower which used a tank full of hot water so therefore no boiler can re-heat water that fast, for another shower immediately after yours. My boiler comes on automatically at different intervals during the day to make sure the hot water is topped up at all times. Your husband was just unfortunate on that particular day.

2. The toilet seat: The screws at the back were loose, they just needed tightening. I actually SAT on the toilet today and it's fine now.

3. Toilet Paper: These are ‘mini jumbo’ 2 ply commercial paper found in all restaurants and hotel toilets. To suggest my guests bring their own is an insult to both them and me.

4. Bath mat: You had only to ask for one.

5. Beds: I advertise on my Web site that I have orthopaedic beds. The mattresses are not hard. I had to smile at your suggestion of putting the Duvet under the bottom sheet because for the two nights you spent here you didn't use the Duvets on the two beds at all, so I'm wondering how you are such an expert on what to do in my home?

6. The chest of (5) drawers: This, and the mirror above it is an antique which you may not have realised, and is a lovely piece of furniture in this room. To suggest replacing it with a DESK (for your computer) in the bedroom is ludicrous.

7. No sitting area: Did you not notice my conservatory which is available at any time of the night or day for my guests to sit and enjoy the beautiful scenery which YOU yourself enjoyed while here. Guests sometimes play cards here at night.

8. No labels on doors: I have 3 bedrooms for guests. I don’t have a palace. It’s my home. The kitchen is next door to the dining room, why would I need to write ‘Kitchen’ on it? I meet ALL my guests when coming down to breakfast and show them to their table. I also show each and every one including YOU where the dining room is when you arrive.

9. The side of the windows on the outside when open: If that’s all you can find fault with then they are fine by me. I'm wondering if you might have been looking for a freebie while here?
Oh by the way my bathrooms upstairs are NOT tiny and the shower is a standard size. The bathroom has room for a shower chair which is not in the way and also has a 'Towel rail stand' which is equally not in the way. The bathroom has a window and you can actually walk around the room and not hit off anything.
Thank you for your comments but next time you might consider that this is someone's living and you might be more sympathetic. After all which of us can throw the first stone?
Burlingame, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

This b&b was perfect for my introduction to Ireland. A rural setting just a mile outside Dingle Town gave me the best of both worlds--the peace and quiet of the country walking distance from the restaurants, shops and music in town. A tiny country road just across from the b&b makes a pleasant, almost car-less, walk to town. Jill herself picked us up at the bus stop when we first arrived--very helpful since it doesn't show up correctly on Tripadvisor--and was a delightful hostess throughout our 3-night stay. Jill made reservations for us for a special night of music and dancing and gave us good recommendations on restaurants. I remarked on the gorgeous buttercups in every field, and later that day Jill had placed a vase of local wildflowers in our room. The upstairs room was comfortable with complete tea things on the landing. Jill catered to our whims at breakfast, with juice, muesli, brown bread, and a "full Irish" as good as anywhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carla V
sunshinekerry, Owner at The Liston Family Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Carla, so lovely to hear from your here and I appreciate you going to all this trouble. You were so lucky with the weather while here and you both made the most of your three nights. You really do need a car for getting around the Dingle Peninsula, but you both were great walkers and managed to see a lot while here.

I will be looking our for the postman to arrive with that 'Irish buttercup dried flower Card' you promised to send at a later date!!! lol!! I hope the buttercups successfully got back to California in one piece and that customs didn't relieve you of them on the way?? They can be very strict but I'm sure they were well hidden!!

Once again a big THANK YOU for coming to stay and for writing such a lovely review here. It's much appreciated.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you are looking for a place to stay in Dingle this B&B will be the best option. The room and bathroom are clean, beds are comfy, hot water in the shower all day. Perfect location: close to town (within walking distance) but far away from night life noise, so you will have a good sleep after a busy day. A tasty breakfast in the morning was a great addition to the service. Jill is a wonderful person who takes care of every guest. She provided a useful information on where to go and what to see, and also gave us a discount voucher for Aquarium. Thanks to Jill's advice we went for a boat trip to see a dolphin who lives in the wild. The trip was amazing and the experience of seeing a wild dolphin is unforgettable! I would definitely recommend this B&B and it would be a pleasure to stay there again. Jill, thank you very much for all your hard work!

Room Tip: Clean quiet rooms, close to town, tasty breakfast
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julia S
Julia, it was so lovely to have you, your Mum and two beautiful children stay in our humble home. You have left a wonderful lasting impression on me since leaving and I hope you all get back to Dingle again some day.

I'm so glad you all got to see 'Fungie' our wild dolphin and also enjoyed the Aquarium while here.

Thank YOU also for that lovely surprise you left in your room on departure!! It is so lovely when my hard work is so appreciated as well as I knowing I am actually doing something right. Sometimes you can wonder but I try to give 110% of myself to all my guests and hope I get to tell them where is best to go and see. I like everyone to be happy when leaving and get to appreciate all we have here on the Dingle Peninsula first. Thank you again.
Twin City, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The best B&B in in Dingle! Great and friendly people with great service, food, beds, rooms and just help getting around! They will take great care of you! Must stay here! It is also very close to town. You can walk or drive and the town has very interesting things in it as we'll! It's just a great place!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Russ H
Hi Russ and your Mum Tammy. Thank you for popping up here and writing such lovely things. I appreciate it very much. I hope ye managed to find a lovely place to stay in Doolin after leaving me here in Dingle. I'm wondering if you managed to give my cards to anyone up there? I'm sure your sister and Dad had big hugs for both of you when you got home, and I hope you all manage to come next time when coming to Ireland on holidays.

The very best to you in College in Sept. You will have a great time and remember to study hard but not too hard!! It's the only time in your life that you will get long holidays. lol!

I hope you have happy memories of your holiday here on the Dingle Peninsula and that you have lovely photos too. dinglebednights@eircom.net is my email should you like to write. Jill
Waunakee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Jill and Benji will take good care of you at the Liston Family B & B. The rooms are clean and Jill makes a great breakfast, whether you are after a traditional Irish breakfast or something more simple. Jill also provided us with great directions to many "off the map" sites and gave us some pointers on places to eat and drink.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin_McDaniel
sunshinekerry, Owner at The Liston Family Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely comments and Bengie thanks you too! It is very much appreciated as I know it can be difficult when you return home to remember where you stayed each night!!
We are back in business for another year and very busy so far. The weather is good too. If anyone is interested in staying my email is dinglebednights@eircom.net or feel free to phone me on 00353669151373
I will help answer any questions you may have about coming to Dingle with no obligation what-so-ever.
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

What more could you want from an Irish B&B? A great place to stay if you have a car or enjoy a bit of a walk to town. Jill works hard to make her guests feel welcome in her home and in her town of Dingle. She will make great recommendations of sights, restaurants and events in the area. Clean bedrooms and bathrooms (even a beautiful country view from the bathroom), and breakfast was good and plentiful!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie W
Thank you so much for your lovely comments and it's so nice to get such lovely feedback here. I give 110% of myself to all my guests to make sure they get to see all that's on offer here on the Dingle Peninsula. Bengie my 16 year old Westie also helps out.

We are lucky to have a 5 times World Champion Irish dancer living here in Dingle who dances at a concert every Tues, Thurs and Sat during the summer season. My guests at the moment are all delighted to have seen him.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dingle
Ardrinane House
#21 of 78 in Dingle
Cill Bhreac House B&B
Cill Bhreac House B&B
#11 of 78 in Dingle

Been to The Liston Family Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!