“Still great food but standards have slipped a little”
Review of Half Door

Half Door
Ranked #18 of 76 Restaurants in Dingle
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have visited Dingle at least once a year over the last ten years, and have always made a point of eating in the a half door. It has till now qualified as one of my favourite restaurants in the country. Quality of food and choice of fish has always been next to none. I visited again recently, and again the food was top notch. I would however advise the management that certain corners have been cut! Attire and presentation of the front of house staff has considerably declined. I don't mind casual dress, in fact I like it, but it should be smart! If jeans are going to be worn by the head waiter, fine, but let them be smart.in particular, the staff member who came out front of house regularly throughout the evening to clean/redress the tables.... his uniform, shirt was really not what a customer would expect to see in this expensive establishment. Atmosphere was fine, even though music would have been welcome. One good thing was that tables not as crowded, packed in as other visits... Sign of the times perhaps? Also, a reminder to please heat the plates... Such a shame when serving such high quality fish.
Still a very enjoyable meal, and will give it another try next time I am in town. But hopefully standards will be back up.

1  Thank Guest64Dublin

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Food was just average in my view and over-priced. Service was not good. I wouldn't go back. There is better food, service and value to be had elsewhere in Dingle.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

A great way to end a wonderful day in Ireland. I had the preset menu and every dish, crab appetizee, lamb shank and chocolate plate for dessert were scrumptios. It is expensive, but worth every penny. Service was attentive and friendly by European standards. Perfect. Atmosphere was also great, well decorated, beautiful tablecloths and heavy good silken linen napkins and good use of limited space.

2  Thank Rhonda T
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were disappointed in our dinner after reading many really positive reviews. I'd give them benefit of the doubt because it was a busy Saturday night. The service was slow, not because the waiter wasn't working hard -- he was. They appeared to be understaffed. The food was ok, just not special.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

It was a busy evening, but our dinners were perfect and the service outstanding. Even though the room was crowded, we had no trouble hearning our conversation(s), which was great.

1  Thank Julia S