“Nice hotel but too expensive”
Review of Talbot Hotel

and 1 more site!
Talbot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Belmullet
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 February 2014

€220 for a room in Belmullet is just too much, the food, room and hotel were excellent and the staff were very nice, I booked the room about 4 weeks in advance and thought I had got it for €120 which I thought was reasonable and in line with hotels in Westport and Castlebar. However reception explained that I had not availed of any special rate, I wasn't going to argue, just paid and left.

Room Tip: Ensure you confirm room rate!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
TalbotHotel2011, Front Office Manager at Talbot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I know we were in touch and explained the error at check out and discussed a refund with you. We thank you for being understanding on this matter and hope to see you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

The staff always go above and beyond their duties and are always willing to oblige and help with any matters or concerns you may have. This trip was for business purposes but I would love to go back with my family also.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MrsCarroll2014

Thank you for your kind review. We are always here to help. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your trip with us and we hope to welcome you back with your family.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I have on a few occasions visited this restaurant and hotel I usually stay with friends but eat here.
The food is wonderful staff extremely friendly and so helpful.
My advice if you find your self out on the north Mayo coast here is well worth a visit.
Its such an experience and well worth a visit.
We did enjoy our visits there so much can not wait for a return there.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

We are delighted to hear you enjoy our food in our restuaraunt when you visit Belmullet. It is always great to hear kind words which I will pass onto our staff. We are looking forward to your return to us.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

this is a beautifully decorated hotel in the heart of Belmullet. The staff were very welcoming. The food I felt was a little disappointing thou, and was disappointed on our third morning to be served breakfast in the bar, rather than the bar restaurant, as they were preparing for a wedding breakfast. A few of the other reviews have mentioned the noise from the nightclub but we never heard it. Also there is no parking, other than on the road outside, but this did not cause us a problem as were able to park close to the hotel, on all of the days we stayed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
TalbotHotel2011, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for your kind review, I did the interior so i'm delighted you liked it. After we opened the parking in the town changed and on street parking can be a challenge, but there is a public car park opposite the hotel at the docks...we need better signage and are working on this.We are always happy to help anyone with so let us know if you are having difficulty. Breakfast is in the Restaurant at the weekends and in the lounge mid week. Feedback on the food has been brilliant recently...but we dont always get everything right so apologise, we are always seeking ways to improve our food and service so next time have a friendly word in our ear and we'll make sure we do better.
Regards, Orla

Reviewed 19 January 2014

called in here while out for a walk from another hotel in town friendly staff who gave us great directions on places of interest to see had a few pints at the bar and felt peckish so had a bar snack my wife had toastie and i had spicy chicken wings i can honestly say these were the best i have ever had and i have had these in a lot of places if ever back in belmullet will be calling in here again

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
TalbotHotel2011, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

I am glad the staff were helpful and knowledgeable it's good to get good advise when somewhere new and you are very right about the Chicken Wings not only do the customers love them but we also love them!...I will share your comments with the kitchen team, they will be delighted.
Kind Regards, Orla Talbot

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We had a big family dinner here & waited sooooo long for our meal. After half an hour of waiting for our starters, I asked if we could have the kids meals sent out as soon as they were ready (rather than waiting to serve them with our starters or mains) and I was told "we have to cook them first". FIFTY minutes after this rude encounter (with the manager by the way), our starters arrived (one hour & twenty minutes after ordering). Still no kids meals. During this time, several people from our group went up to ask about please getting food out to the kids. The kids food came out ten minutes after our starters (chicken nuggets & pasta). The staff were unapologetic & out right rude & unhelpful. I asked to speak to the manager when our starters came & still no kids meals, and she never came to speak to me. The food was nice when it finally arrived, that's why I'm granting 3 stars. But the service let them down badly.

We stayed at the Broadhaven Bay where we were treated so well & looked after with the best service I've ever experienced in a hotel. You could learn a lot from them on how to treat your customers.

Stayed: December 2013
5  Thank tRvlChic7
TalbotHotel2011, Manager at Talbot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for your review. I am extremely sorry you didn’t find the service up to standard during your meal.
On the day in question we had a reservation for your family meal in which an additional 15 guests arrived. As you can appreciate this is a busy period over Christmas and extra seating was arranged as quickly as possible. Unfortunately as part of your group had not arrived at the arranged time, this had a delay in your group seating. When the order was taken for 50+ guests on an a la carte menu, all food had to be cooked freshly, including steaks cooked well done. Some of the guests had advised the waitresses to bring the children’s food with the main meals as some children had ordered 3 courses, and this been arranged with the kitchen, however when you requested the children’s food to be served before the starters the kitchen had to then cook the children’s food at that stage. The children’s meals had arrived to the table just after the starters were served and I was not aware there had been any further issue as the food was then served.
Once again I am very sorry you did not find the service up to standard, it is not our aim to keep any customer waiting any longer than necessary.
I do hope to welcome you back in the future and trust you next visit shall be a more enjoyable one.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

No parking available. On street only and ended up having to park some distance away. Disco music very loud and could even hear what DJ was saying v clearly in room so very poor nights sleep. Very expensive and though rated 4 star, felt more like 3 star. Room was very cold on arrival and bath was dirty. Also found a pill in the bed so not sure beds were properly changed. Room very dusty. On upside staff were friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Ask for room that is furthest away from disco if you want a good nights sleep!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Emma B

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We understand you had an issue with the noise in the hotel, during the Christmas period, it was extremely busy and we sincerely apologise for this. There were 3 functions on that night. We know you contacted reception and a member of staff was outside your room within five minutes to check the sound levels, which was immediately reduced.
With regards to the pill and the bath I really wish you had brought this to our attention so we could have looked into this straight away. I can assure you all rooms are cleaned thoroughly each day & I am deeply sorry this has occurred during your stay. We are taking extra care that this issue shall not arise in the future.
We do offer parking just off the main street and a stairway brings you back up outside the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back in the future so we can show you that it is our intention for you to have an enjoyable stay and to give us a chance to offer you one.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmullet
Broadhaven Bay Hotel
Leim Siar Bed and Breakfast
Fairview House B&B
Fairview House B&B
#4 of 9 in Belmullet

Been to Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!