“Informative and enjoyable visit”

Michael Davitt Museum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Foxford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Michael Davitt Museum is dedicated to the life and achievements of Michael Davitt - father of the Land League, International Humanitarian, Author and Parliamentarian. The Museum is housed in a Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland award winning restored church in which Michael Davitt was baptised. The museum is adjacent to the 13th Century Straide Abbey which contains some of the finest medieval carvings in Ireland. The site also features an historic graveyard in which Davitt, and other notable figures are buried, and extensive landscaped grounds, in which to walk or picnic. Food & refreshments available nearby.
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Informative and enjoyable visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Went to visit the Davitt museum on Saturday 7th June 2014. Museum is compact and very well kept. Audio-visual tour was good way to commence tour as it refreshed the memory about the life of Michael Davitt. My grandmother and I enjoyed browsing through the myriad of documents, images and artefacts and found the staff member (Joe) very helpful and knowledgable.
If passing through Co. Mayo this is a must-visit.

10 Thank 836Aidan

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A great two hours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I was on my way from Foxford Mills to Castlebar with my daughter. We approached Straide and I said to her this is where Michael Davitt is from. She asked me who he was and we saw the signs for the museum. We stopped and had the most brilliant two hours. Joe the curator was a mind of information and the museum is wonderful!!! My daughter even bought a few books as she was so enthralled with the story of Michael Davitt!! Thank you Joe for bringing history to life!!

9 Thank Kathleen M
Swinford, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great couple of hours at the Michael Davitt Museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Myself and my mum randomly came across the museum whilst driving between foxford & castlebar and what a pleasant surprise. Joe the curator of the museum is wealth of knowledge, interesting & very entertaining! I would highly recommend this to anyone even non history buffs like myself would enjoy the history of such an influential man & how his determination for fairness has sculpted the Ireland we live in today!

9 Thank Kat_ireland1
Northbrook, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Definite Must See!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Wonderful museum. Spent time walking around the abbey and then visited the museum. The guides make it an interesting and eye opening visit. Well done exhibits and while we were there they were adding more. Definitely a place to visit and learn about one Ireland's hero's. Really enjoyed the stories where he championed the importance of the women's role in the struggles..

Visited May 2014
8 Thank Laurie R
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A brilliant little museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We would heartily recommend a visit to the Michael Davitt Museum - it was one of the highlights of our holiday on the west coast. The Davitt story is very interesting and there are a number of well preserved documents and artefacts. But what made the visit so memorable was the welcome and friendliness of Joe and his colleague. Offering us tea or coffee straight away, they must have given us at least an hour of their time, with a wide ranging discussion and lots of extra information. Thank you very much.

Visited May 2014