“Left feeling cheated...”

Ranked #13 of 45 Restaurants in Ballina
Price range: US$8 - US$69
Cuisines: European, Irish, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our funky furnishings, eclectic styling and stunning architectural design at the Ice House combine to make you feel like you're in the heart of the city. One look at the unrivalled view from all our rooms and you'll immediately know you're not. With great service, fantastic food, fine wines, clever cocktails and Ireland's best boutique hotel spa guaranteed to soothe, the Ice House is unlike any other hotels in Mayo. Discover the best of both worlds here in Ballina and make the Ice House your escape to the extraordinary. Breakfast you'll want to get out of bed for, lunch to linger over and dinner that's sure to delight...Let our restaurant menus whet your appetite and here at the Ice House, let us take care of everything else. There's simply no better restaurant in Ballina.
Ballina, Ireland
“Left feeling cheated...”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I ate here recently and left reasonably happy but ultimately disappointed. We entered the reception area as we were unsure where to go and were left waiting at least 10 minutes before a member of staff arrived and gave us directions. Upon entry to the restaurant we were attended to very quickly as one would have expected considering there were only two other tables seated. We were brought to a table for two that was situated facing out onto the river. We were given menus and our order was taken promptly. The food arrived well presented and in a timely manner and the staff that attended us were very pleasant and efficient. However as the evening wore on the waning sun was shining directly through the windows and as the seats were facing that way it became decidedly uncomfortable. To give you an idea of how uncomfortable, my reaction lenses were at full tint!! Another major problem was the size of the table... it was tiny. We could just about fit our plates on the table with all the other items already on it. An elderly couple seated beside us asked to have the curtains closed on their section of window and were accommodated accordingly however the curtain was little relief as it was so light. I am unsure if they finished their entire meal but left shortly afterwards. As for us, we persevered. As we sat there it became obvious that the place could do with a bit of sprucing up. For a place of such reputation its general appearance was lacking, you expect attention to detail but it just seems to be left to its own devices. The food was nice but nothing overly exciting and the dessert was a complete disaster. I had the meringue and as soon as it arrived i knew i'd regret it and subsequently did. It was cheap looking and bland tasting, something akin to a cheap homebrand in a supermarket. I was genuinely shocked that a place of this calibre served such rubbish. At this point I should add that we were given a voucher as a present and was very glad when the experience was over as I can now safely say I would not return if I had to pay nor would I recommend it to anyone. It just let itself down so badly. On a plus note the wine was nice. When it came to paying the attendent seemed unsure about what exactly the voucher covered and initially told us we'd have to pay extra for the wine, which we had no problem with, but then we were told the voucher covered everything. I can honestly say I have had much better experiences in far less reputable places. We just felt cheated by the whole experience and consequently we will not return. The Ice House seriously needs to examine itself and decide what it plans to do into the future for I fear if it remains like this much longer the future will be bleak.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank P T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
“Such a Shame”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

As a local resident I love and have always been an Ice House patron. I would love to be able to frequent the restaurant more often but I always leave disappointed and then stay away for ages. The setting is beautiful overlooking the river Moy and the hotel is really gorgeous however at some point over a year ago someone decided to paint things orange and put gaudy velour orange on the seats and set up the tables more bistro style. Not good, the white original colour pallet was far more appealing! The staff are lovely but practically incompetent for the level of service you expect in such a premises for such a price, slow service, no attention to detail, long waits with no staff on the floor, embarrassing to endure and frankly a reason I wouldn't bring friends here. The food is okay, quite reasonable but the service destroys it, I watched in horror as a lovely older couple sat patiently waiting for service for more than 10 minutes when there was only a handful of tables taken only to be asked to move when a waiter did arrive citing that they were sitting at a table set for dinner...there was two wine glasses in the difference between seats!!! It's a terrible first impression of a meal! We had to wait for sometime for anybody to come and take our payment as there wasn't a single staff member on the floor. This service issue will result in people coming eating and never returning which is a shame and is a loss to our local economy, smarten up Ice House on service, get rid of the tacky decor to avoid becoming another loss making "statistic" in the West.

1 Thank 1981mary
Manchester
“Good for a lunch time meal”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The selection is not big, but the food is tasty and well-presented. Service was mega slow with only one waiter. Great views over the Moy help alleviate the wait.

• Visited May 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Bar menu, great food.”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Dropped in here for something to eat from the bar menu. I had the mushroom linguine which was really flavoursome. Good portion size and good value. My boyfriend had the burger which he also said was excellent. Thr setting is beautiful overlooking the water. Would love to stay here as the hotel looks lovely too.

Fermanagh, N. Ireland
“Too Dear”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Found the drink and food here slightly over priced. They did do a better priced early bird menu for the evening, in their defense.

Visited April 2014