“Good hotel but pity pool not in use”

Ballina Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Everything fine disappointed no pool as it was out of use and we weren't informed of this until we asked.
Breakfast expensive for what it is.
Lovely quiet hotel.
Rooms bit too warm at night.
Plenty of hot water hair driers etc

• Stayed: March 2014
ballina_manor, Manager at Ballina Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Champney

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive and constructive feedback on TripAdvisor. We do apologise about the swimming pool being out of order and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future so that you can make use of all facilities and we are delighted that you impressed with all of the added extras in our guest bedrooms.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I meant to write this review sooner, we stayed in this hotel about a year ago we purchased an offer on one of the deals site a ll I can say it it is one of the worst hotels I ever stayed in the bedrooms are completely out dated and in the first bedroom we were in the toilet and toilet seat were completely stained we asked to move rooms the second room was so freezing cold( I was five months pregnant) I had to leave my husbands jumper on in the bed!!!! The bathroom was again totally outdated and stained. We did not stay our second night and booked into the ice hotel which is just so fabulous, warm clean and I was soooo relieved to leave the beat western both myself and my husband are not fussy and have stayed in many hotels when my husband complained the manager did not offer us anything and admitted she knew the window was broke in the room it still should not of being that cold. Bar dark and smelt did not do bar food...would never go here ever again I had morning sickness and my stomach was turning using the bathroom.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sylv2305

Dear Sylv2305

I am really sorry to read your recent review regarding your stay last year and I am shocked to read that you were cold as it is usually the opposite, the regular feedback from our guests is that they are delighted at how warm and cosy it is here in the Manor with our open fire on arrival into reception and heating on throughout the Hotel it proves to be warm and comfortable. I do hope that you will reconsider and come back for another stay with us, I am sure you will see positive changes as we continuously upgrade and refurbish our facilities and on behalf of all of the team please accept our apologies.
Also you mentioned that you were 5 months pregnant at the time of your visit and so I would like to congratulate you and wish you all the best with your new baby, I hope all is well with you both.

Please contact me on edel.sweeney@ballinamanorhotel.ie should you wish to make a return visit and I would be delighted to look after you and your family.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my parents on a Tuesday and Wednesday midweek break. We drove from Dublin and had free parking in their underground car park. Part of the hotel was blocked off from flood damage which is fair enough. Reception was warm and welcoming, and the male receptionist was very efficient. Rooms were clean as was the rest of the hotel. We had no sea view but we never asked for them. Will return again

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Elaine R
ballina_manor, Manager at Ballina Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Elaine R

Many thanks for taking the time to post your positive feedback on TripAdvisor, we appreciate your lovely feedback as it's always lovely for our team to hear from another happy customer! (Thomas was delighted with your kind words). We are really looking forward to welcoming you and your parents back to Ballina in the near future.

Thanks again

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We stayed in the Best Western in Ballina for a weekend. Had originally booked into the Downhill but had to move to the Best Western when our hotel had to close at short notice. The hotel's main bar, leisure centre and spa were closed due to recent flooding. And we also had to move our car from the underground carpark for the same reason. Despite all of this, we really enjoyed staying at the hotel. The room was beautifully decorated and had superb views of the river. We had lunch in the reception on arrival which was lovely. And the breakfast choice was very good. The staff were very helpful and professional. The hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of Ballina and I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Pamela2002

Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us! We are really looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future where you can enjoy use of our full facilities. I have passed on your lovely review to all of the team and they are delighted as feedback like yours reassures everyone that they are doing a good job, thanks again.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at the Ballina Manor hotel last weekend I would have to agree with all the positives given to the hotel. Having passed through Ballina on many occasions I wondered what it would be like to stay at this hotel, and I am glad we took time out to stay a night there ,I would have preferred a longer break , next time. Yes next time, I will definitely return here as like previous comments the place itself is beautiful and so homely. The staff are lovely and very helpful, pleasantly having the chat and fun with there guests. Our room overlooked the river and was spotlessly clean. The location is also a major plus shops, pubs, restaurant's, church etc within walking distance. We did not dine in the hotel so unfortunately I can not comment on that but otherwise we had lovely stay at the Ballina Manor Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ballina_manor, Manager at Ballina Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Sarah D

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review on Trip Advisor, we too are delighted that you took the time out to stay with us and we are really looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Having booked, several months in advance, a three night B&B stay with one evening dinner as part of a touring holiday in Ireland, but having left after one night, and without breakfast, I am still pondering questions such as;
Did those people who gave and still give glowing reviews stay in the same place as me?
Are there two Ballina Manor hotels?
What do all these adjectives mean, such as Clean; Spotless; Excellent; Brilliant; etc. etc.?
What is the purpose of the Best Western Plus badge of approval?
Did I really see the dirt, lack of cleaning, residue from previous guests, etc. or was I in a trance? You may wish to judge for yourself by looking at some of the photographs.
Yes, our intended stay was for three nights last June. We checked-in some time after 6.0pm and as we wanted to find a restaurant for dinner we merely dropped our luggage on the room floor. As my wife admired the river view she became aware of dead spiders and associated debris on the window sill. Expecting this to be quickly dealt with we told reception staff on the way out. On returning, almost three hours later, we discovered that the spiders would appear to have been merely thrown out of the window, leaving the other debris untouched. On pulling back the bedding there was a child's or lady's sock protruding from underneath the bed, apparently left behind by a previous guest and an indication to me that the room had not been serviced.
Without looking further, we complained and were offered and alternative, a family room but without a river view. Assuming that our previous room experience was an exception, we accepted, only to find that if anything, this room was probably worse. On complaining again, we were told that there was no other room available. By this time it was too late to move on to look for alternative accommodation.
Evidence of the apparent lack of cleanliness and neglect was too great to catalogue but examples were;
Stained pillow protruding from pillowcase
Extraordinary build-up of fluff and debris on skirting boards
Dirty mirror with debris accumulation around frame.
Medication capsule (apparently from previous occupant) on floor.
Dead flies and debris on window frames
What appeared to be squashed flies/insects on window
Badly stained upholstery on settee, etc.
The general ambience was one of unclean, unkempt and neglect. I started to itch and feel dirty to such extent that I was unable to sleep. I spent much of the night searching the internet for alternative accommodation and felt completely let-down, with a hitherto excellent holiday being destroyed. From what we had seen we could not contemplate breakfast.
As we left, a manageress was apologetic but offered no explanation, leaving me to conclude that our experience was the norm. As part of her apology she waived any potential charge but I suspect she realised that to do otherwise would have resulted in a serious dispute.
And thankfully our faith and Irish holiday experience were restored when we found an excellent small hotel in the nearby village of Enniscrone where we had a room overlooking the sea and were offered a very welcome breakfast, even before checking in, and all at less cost than we had agreed to pay the Ballina Manor.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank beingobjective

Dear beingobjective

Thank you for your recent feedback and we do apologise that you did not have an enjoyable stay in June 2013. All of the points you have made were dealt with accordingly last year. We do hope that you will consider a return visit in the near future.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Lovely public areas dotted all around the peaceful , relaxing and very clean hotel. The staff could not have been any more helpful and I would totally recommend this hotel.i did not try the swimming pool or treatment rooms but they all looked very nice and clean,

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the river have a great view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
262AnthonyK, Director of Sales at Ballina Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us and we hope you visit us again. After all, you will have to try out the swimming pool :)