My wife, teenage son and I visited the Mount Falcon Hotel last week for a 2N B&B plus 1EM.
Our main reason for going here was because of the hotels setting and old world charm having only been renovated around 10 years ago.
Other big attraction was its stocked lake for fishing and the River Moy just outside the grounds.
The plus side of the Hotel was:
Great areas in hotel to chill out and unwind in front of various log fires and no TV’s around which for us is a big advantage (TV in your room if required)
Walks around wooded grounds of hotel approx. 3km
Rod room for fishing gear which our son loved
Access to hotel fishing gear if required and stocked lake of rainbow trout.
Bedrooms very comfortable and quiet.
On the negative side.
The dinner menu is very restricted for example if you wanted steak you had to order it for 2 people and I think for 65e price per person a choice of steak on the menu should be available for one. We had the mixed fish option which we enjoyed.
Note the 65e price is for non-residents normally dinner price is included in the package you buy.
The changing area in leisure complex is really small only fitting about 6 people comfortably and only 2 showers.
If pool was really busy it must be a nightmare trying to get changed, although you can return to your room in robe which is provided.
On the second morning at breakfast one of us wanted to have a kipper with potato cake from the breakfast menu.
We were told that it was no longer on the menu and to choose something else (strange when breakfast runs until 10:30 and this was 9am).
My wife didn’t particularly want anything else so just asked for a simple plain omelette and was told that it’s not possible only items from the menu can be ordered. Wow this is a 4star hotel and it’s only an omelette my wife wanted.
Another minor problem about breakfast too which I won’t go in to detail on.
However I did inform the receptionist about the problems who apologised for both events and said we could have 25e off our next stay.
Which if we do stay, it certainly won’t be because of the breakfasts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Falcon Estate lies by the banks of The River Moy ( the most prolific wild Atlantic Salmon river in Ireland ) between Foxford and Ballina ( The Salmon Capital of Ireland ). The Estate consists of a 4 star deluxe 32 bedroom hotel, Luxury lodges, fishing for wild Atlantic Salmon on its own stretch of the river Moy, a 3 acre rainbow trout stocked lake, a School of Falconry, 100 acres of mature woodland, a 3 km walking / jogging / biking trail, an Elemis Spa and Clay pigeon shooting. The house was built in 1876 and was a wedding present from one young groom to his new wife. The Estate was originally owned by The Knox family whose ancestors are buried in the circular graveyard next to a Megalithic tomb located on the Estate. Opened in 2006 Mount Falcon was the youngest ever hotel to win The AA Hotel of the year. In 2015 the Hotel was named the best Manor House Hotel in Ireland. The Hotels 'Kitchen Restaurant' holds 2 AA Rosettes and has received numerous awards for Best Hotel Restaurant in Connaught and The Best Head Chef in Connaught, the most recent award received was in 2015 for Best Chef in Connaught(by the Good Eating Guide). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mount Falcon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel Ballina
- Mount Falcon Country Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Ballina