Stayed here for 1 night (midweek) as part of a holiday around the west of Ireland. We booked a package including dinner and breakfast as we wanted to be able to relax in the hotel without having to drive out for dinner etc. We also booked an activity (clay pidgin shooting) for the day of departure, so our total bill, including the shooting, wine and 2 after dinner drinks came to aprox €400 - not a bad take for any hotel on a Wednesday night!
Positives: We stayed in the beautiful Wall Pool Suite which was unexpected and excellent. Upon booking I had asked for our shooting to coincide with check out time, however they were unable to take us until 1pm, so I asked for a late check out so we could relax until it was time to go shooting, any they allowed us until 12.30 which I felt was nice.
We also did a walk of the grounds after breakfast which was lovely, as the estate is beautiful and well maintained.
I also found the staff to be friendly and non-pretentious (which can sometimes be a real problem in places like this!) and are a credit to the hotel.
Dinner was really far from spectacular. Apparently it normally goes for €59 per person for food alone, and if dinner was not part of the package I would have had great difficulty with this pricing. Everything looked really beautiful but the taste was severely lacking. I suspect that the kitchen spends so long decorating the plates with flowers and other finishing touches, that the food suffers. I had the monkfish/john dorey main course and both pieces of fish were tough and overcooked (or as if they'd been left sitting on a hot plate for some time). Well cooked fish should simply flake apart but this had the consistency of rubber. My bf had the pork starter (cold and tasteless) and the duck main (skin not crispy and overall lack of flavour). All dishes were great to look at but just didn't deliver on taste.
My other minor gripe would be the leisure centre but admittedly, this might be my own problem. I found that there were a LOT of children with very little supervision (none from the hotel) and as a result there were kids using the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room with was against the policies written on the walls and off putting for adults trying to relax. Now admittedly, as someone who doesn't have children, I have very little patience for stuff like this, but it wouldn't inspire me to come here again, because there are plenty of spa hotels where children are not allowed, and it makes a huge difference. Perhaps if children were only allowed pool access until a certain time this could be a suitable compromise?
In short, its a beautiful hotel, but a bit too family friendly for my taste. Also, the kitchen does not live up to the hype and I would think that changes need to be made there as it does not live up to its fine dining pretence.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Falcon Estate lies by the banks of The River Moy ( the most prolific wild Atlantic Salmon river in Ireland ) between Foxford and Ballina ( The Salmon Capital of Ireland ). The Estate consists of a 4 star deluxe 32 bedroom hotel, Luxury lodges, fishing for wild Atlantic Salmon on its own stretch of the river Moy, a 3 acre rainbow trout stocked lake, a School of Falconry, 100 acres of mature woodland, a 3 km walking / jogging / biking trail, an Elemis Spa and Clay pigeon shooting. The house was built in 1876 and was a wedding present from one young groom to his new wife. The Estate was originally owned by The Knox family whose ancestors are buried in the circular graveyard next to a Megalithic tomb located on the Estate. Opened in 2006 Mount Falcon was the youngest ever hotel to win The AA Hotel of the year. In 2015 the Hotel was named the best Manor House Hotel in Ireland. The Hotels 'Kitchen Restaurant' holds 2 AA Rosettes and has received numerous awards for Best Hotel Restaurant in Connaught and The Best Head Chef in Connaught, the most recent award received was in 2015 for Best Chef in Connaught(by the Good Eating Guide). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Nozio Netplan srl, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mount Falcon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel Ballina
- Mount Falcon Country Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Ballina