“Blissful”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Blissful”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just home from the most amazing 2 nights in The Ice House Hotel. What an amazing location. The view was truly spectacular - you won't understand until you see it for yourself. wow!

We were greeted by a lovely receptionist who helped us with our bags and showed us around the room, which was such a welcoming touch. We were given complimentary glasses of presseco and got a free newspaper delivered to the door each morning.

The hot tubs on the lake were unbelievable - I was able to reflect and watch the swans and the sunset in the comfort of the hot tub. absolutely fantastic! I was also able to watch the swans on the lake from the comfort of my bed!!!

The food was delicious - the restaurant and bar staff are great at what they do.

I got the most amazing hot stone massage (highly recommended), facial and manicure by Ciara - who is a true professional.

I will be spreading the word - I work in the tourism industry and I will gladly recommend this hotel as a wonderful spa break in Ireland. Thank you so much for such a lovely, peaceful break. xx

4 Thank Tweetheart89

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
County Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for 2 nights on a Living Social deal. Driving up to it you could see the blend of old and modern had been done extremely well. We were offered complimentary sparkling wine on arrival and then shown to our Heritage room, The Quay. This turned out to be in the old part of the building. The room was big but there were a few issues for me. Mainly it was the lighting. It was all low voltage and very dim making it impossible in the evening (in February) to apply make up or even read a book. The bathroom was painted red with more low lighting so it was also impossible to make-up in this room. In fact the red gave me a bit of a headache, it just wasn't bright enough. The wardrobe was very old fashioned which was in keeping with the room but I wasn't able to hang any dresses in it as it was only tall enough to take a jacket so the dresses had to hang on the door. The bath was a huge, deep wooden thing which I would have been frightened to try and get into. There was a small wooden step to use to climb into it but I didn't try. There was no plug for it either but when I asked about it they bought one to the room for me within 10 minutes and also some matches to light the candles they had left in the bathroom. The bathroom had a surround sound switch but it wasn't working. There was a nice touch though of tea, coffee and homemade biscuits but you had to call down for fresh milk which took too long to arrive. We went down to dinner and the food was terrific. The following day my husband asked if we could move to one of the Spa Suites and for a small supplement we did that, the Nugget. They moved everything for us while we were out. This room was truly amazing. It overlooked the river and had a sitting room as well as a big bedroom. The lighting in this room was still very poor and again you could not read in the room after 5 o'clock. The area for sitting and doing my makeup had a light on the wall but it was hanging loose and you had to really wiggle it about to get it to come on. We did report this but nothing could be done straight away. There were lovely little LED lights in the bathroom floor but only one of the four of them were working and again the surround sound didn't work. We had a second lovely meal and two fantastic breakfasts, one in our spa suite. The staff were all very helpful and the treatments were good. Having the room within the spa area was great. We had a go in one of the two small hot tubs despite the rain, (although the next day only one of these appeared to be working. We also had a go in their unique sauna which looked like a giant barrel. In the spa area I did notice that the bin was overflowing and maybe should have been emptied, although it was 5 o'clock and also the bin for used robes was spilling over onto the floor. Overall we had a great time it was just a shame about all the subdued lighting but I would definitely go again and stay in the spa suites.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a bit more to stay in the Spa Suites, the view is so much nicer than the old b...
1 Thank Sandez
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights here in early March. Beautiful room overlooking river, fantastic bathroom with deep double ended bath. Exceptional staff- friendly and professional. Excellent food and service. Cocktails are a must! Really good value for money!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SheilaParody
Ireland
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

From the moment we walked in we where really well looked after by the staff who couldnt do enough for us! The room is amazing looking out onto the river and the bed is soo big and comfy!!
Food is really nice and the dinner was beautiful!
Would have no problem recomending this place and we will b back!

• Stayed February 2014
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel. The out door hot tub on the river Moy is amazing. V clean & beautiful decor. The staff could be a bit more professional & warmer too. Breakfast was nice, nothing outstanding but nice. Will go back for the view, the rooms & the hot tub & out door sauna. Disappointed the steam room bulb was out & when we checked in on wed & left on thurs at 1pm it still hadnt been fixed. But overall a great place.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Siobhanmcg1
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Firstly, I would like to apologise to the staff of the hotel for taking so long to post this review. My wife and I stayed here on Saturday the 18th of January 2014. Check in was prompt and very pleasant, the receptionist showed us to our room, the lavender suite, before she left she explained that if we needed milk for coffee just to call reception and they would get a fresh jug sent to the room.
We had a look around the room ,checked the TV and had a look in the fridge, or should I say the press where the fridge should have been, it had been removed and there was just a tray with coffee making facilities. For a five star hotel I would expect a fridge in the room as standard.
We went to the bar for some bar food and it wasn't too bad at all and fairly priced, a chicken wrap and a smoked salmon sandwich with two pints of Heineken was €27.75. The food was tasty and portions generous.
We went back to our room and I went to take a shower, I noticed that up in the right hand corner of our shower was a big damp patch on the ceiling with black mold. When I stepped out of the shower, the room was full of steam and I realised that there was no extractor fan in the bathroom. Water from the shower was all over the toilet and the floor, I had to dry it up with the bath towel in case I slipped.
We had booked for dinner at seven thirty so at about 18.55 i called reception and asked for a jug of milk for coffee, we left our room a half hour later for dinner and the milk still had not arrived.
On arrival in the dining room it was good to see it was busy and a good atmosphere. I ordered quail to start and duck as a main and my wife ordered the mushrooms to start (i think) and duck also. Service was excellent but the food was average, most definitely not 5 star quality.
We had a restless night due to the neigbhouring rooms noise, they may as well have been in the room with us, the sound proofing is non-existant. The following morning I went to open the curtains to avail of the most fantastic view of the River Moy when I noticed the condensation up the wall behind the curtains, the carpet at the window was wet. There is no ventilation in the room.
The reason I am writing this is because that experience cost me €318, at that price i expect 5 star not 4 star at a push. I have to say that I would not return to this hotel again in a hurry and certainly not for that price. I do not think i am being unfair by this review as i have worked in the industry for twenty plus years.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patrickcoen
ICEHOUSETEAM, General Manager at The Ice House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Patrickcoen,

Thank you taking the time and very much appreciate your very constructive comments you have aired regarding your recent visit to the Ice House and would like to convey my sincere personal apologies for the inconvenience caused to you both.

These have been discussed and acted on apart from the fridges in the rooms which we do not and have never been in any of our rooms.

You will be also be pleased to hear that we have carried out the essential repairs to this room and indeed more following the recent spell of very inclement weather.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards
Ken Bergin
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Just back from a two night stay in the Ice House where we stayed in one of the large suites overlooking the river. The room was excellent with a large bedroom and sitting room. The bathroom contained a large bath and walk in shower. There was also under floor heating in the bathroom which was great. The room was a bit cold at night and we had to increase the temperature in the room using the thermostat. The patio door leading out to the balcony overlooking the river leaked on our first night which lead to some of the carpet in the room becoming wet. There were 2 plastic chairs on the balcony however no table (not that we would be sitting out this time of year!!) The floor on balcont also could do with a clean and a varnish. We had breakfast in bed both mornings we stayed and the food was really nice. The food in the restaurant was really good however again like with the bedroom the restaurant was quite chilly. The staff here are excellent really made our stay a pleasure especially the bartender from transilvania (didnt get his name!).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballina
Mount Falcon Estate
#5 of 9 in Ballina
Diamond Coast Hotel
Diamond Coast Hotel
#2 of 3 in Enniscrone

Been to The Ice House Hotel? Share your experiences!