“Delusional manager. See response to other reviewers.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballyshannon
Lakeside Caravan & Camping
“Delusional manager. See response to other reviewers.”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Nice location. Positives end there.
Manager's attitude poor.
Basic facilities for third Millenium.
I guess it's ok if you want a retro style (think 1980s) camping holiday.
I wasn't expecting much but having read the managers response to other reviews, I think he needs to re-consider most of his comments - you can't just shoot all the messengers!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Iatros1
mungo s, Manager at Lakeside Caravan & Camping, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
As I said in my response I acknowledge that our facilities are not as modern as I would like them to be, however, I also said in my response that the application for planning permission for new facilities is currently with the planners and we are confident of a positive reponse from them.

The new facilities will include separate ladies and gents toilets, showers, a new laundry, dishwashing and chemical disposal facilities.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 9 September 2012

First of all the manager was very helpful and friendly. He helped me giving me tips and providing me with maps and brochures of the area and some even the country. The camp is very nice, next to a lake. And it's as clean as we can expect from a camping park, I guess.

The only problem: it's very close to a busy road, so you can hear the noise from the cars all night.

I payed 20€ for myself, my dog, the shower and the car. The camping park even has a place for dog walking which is great, because it avoids the "gifts" on the grass where we put our tents.

If I'm around this place again, I'd probably stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank cpss89
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Due to lack of time and being late at night i stayed one night with a small one man tent , A hefty 16 euros, plus 2 euros for shower, First impressions looked great, great views and a lake, HOWEVER-The shower drains were blocked and smelled awful, The water mixed with the other shower cubicles flooded out of the shower block my shoes were floating. Toilets were a total disgrace, In one toilet a "floater"was left !!!!!!!!! Dog foul was on the grass where i had to pitch tent, i didn't realise i had to pick up after someone else !!! I will definaely not go back or recommend this site . Overpriced ,dirty and just been ripped-off !

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Roy O
mungo s, Manager at Lakeside Caravan & Camping, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Hi! This is Mungo Sloan, Manager of Lakeside Caravan and Camping, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal. I am writing this review to address not one, but all of the negative reviews. I am deeply shocked and disturbed by the negative views these people have of Lakeside. A recent survey carried out shows that 95% of our customers were extremely pleased and satisfied with the level of service and facilities provided. I have been operating the Lakeside for over 10 years with a very high percentage of repeat business. According to research carried out by the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland and a number of the continental touring guides plus Failte Ireland, the Lakeside is rated very highly.
I run a quiet, secure family orientated site and there are times when I will have to speak to people who continually break the rules on the campsite relating to noise, dog fouling and children running around very late at night, ie 11.30pm. It is no coincidence that after these cautions negative reviews seem to appear.
I am attaching photographs of our facilities.
These facilities are cleaned TWICE a day. There are signs requesting people to let me know if the facilities need cleaning, as it is virtually unrealistic and impossible for me to stand there all day to ensure that they are left in an appropriate condition.
I welcome people to please try our facility and fill in our customer feedback form so that we can continuously improve our service and facilities.
Our current facilities are not as modern as I would like them to be. However, I recently received some great news! New bathrooms and showers, laundry room, kitchen and reception area are with the planners at the moment for approval.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries!
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012

stayed one night with small tent 16 euros, plus 2 euros for shower thats expencive for a 1 man tent but was to late at night to find another site. shower drains were blocked and flooded to an inch of water, wet all my clothes (what exactly was i standing in? everyone elses muck i imagine!) toilets were a disgrace, the manager was dislikeable from the start and never offered any refund when i complained about the showers. there was dog excrement right next to the tent we discovered after setting up.. next night bushmills 5 star camp site 10 euros including shower (with music!) free games room! best ever

Room Tip: id rather sleep on the roadside
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anonymousbiker
I am attaching photographs of our facilities.
We haven’t increased our prices in five years and we are competitively priced in comparison with other campsites in Ireland.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

As part of a round-Ireland camping trip, my (non-Irish) partner and I happened upon Lakeside and decided that it's location would be useful for a night's sleep between Belfast and Westport.

Our previous campsite, near Craigavon, was absolutely wonderful value at £10 for the night for a tent pitch with free showers and internet. Similarly, the campsite we visited in Westport was terrific value, at €12 per night, again with free showers and internet.

Unfortunately, like many Irish businesses, the management of Lakeside appear to have ignored the recession and think we are still living in Celtic Tiger times. €20 for the pleasure of camping on an old rugby pitch? €2 extra for a shower? If this was a five star campsite, with excellent facilities, I might be convinced. Given our experience, in future I'd be inclined to drive on and find somewhere else, even if it meant a few extra hours on the road.

The manager was only concerned with getting paid, and did not make us feel particularly welcome. The games room was locked whenever he decided to pop out, and in any case it brought to mind a hospital waiting room.

The toilets and showers were, without exaggeration, absolutely filthy. Blood stained tissues were present in one of the toilet cubicles and were not cleared away at all during our stay. The shower head I used was scaly, producing a pathetic stream for precisely 6 minutes, since that's all your token permits. There's no temperature control, so like it or don't bother. The cubicle itself flooded leaving shoes floating on the floor. The grouting between the tiles quite obviously hasn't been cleaned in some time - you could actually take out the dirt with a fingernail.

Warning signs cover the entire site and the manager stands outside the office like Big Brother. Don't dare break the rules!

If you prefer not to be ripped off, treated like a child and subjected to facilities unfit for a prison, then I strongly suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank ZCDW9
Wexford,
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Firstly - the price - €35 a night (where others charge us €25) was too much. (Clearly selling to NI customers with the strong Sterling - Euro exchange rates). Nothing extra was included for that price. Showers were an extra.Views of lake would of been an extra.
Watersports were not available during the week "due to lack of interest". Our main reason for picking the site.
Pitches were small and very close to each other. Playground was nice and big but open to the public who just drove in and out of the site at their leisure. No security barrier and a lot of people drove around the site "having a nose". Could not recommend this to anyone. Will not go back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HappyCamperFromEire
ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2012

we stayed at this site 3 weeks ago, toilets dirty & smelly, We were not told that there was another shower block and toilets where you could have a wash and freshen up on other side, plus this is only opened for a short time. Manager not very nice. We would not go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mariemcloughlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballyshannon
Allingham Arms Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Strandhill Caravan and Camping Park

Been to Lakeside Caravan & Camping? Share your experiences!