“Not 4 star”

Great Northern Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The approach to the hotel looks impressive. It is in a beautiful location with fabulous coastal walks. However, the hotel is not worthy of a 4 star rating. The decor is very tired, not very clean, wallpaper peeling off in many places, a smelly lift and shabby corridors. Our bedroom had a great view but the windows were so dirty the view was rather hazy. The staff could have been more polite and cheerful. Just one young fair-haired girl in the breakfast room managed to smile! The food was average and not worth the 30 euros per person charged. This hotel needs a major refurbishment - not just a paint job - and some staff training to bring it up to 4 star standard. It really is past it's sell-by date.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BandF2013
There are newer reviews for Great Northern Hotel

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This weekend we decided to go to Donegal from Belfast, I rang a hotel in Bundoran and booked a family room but when we arrived I went in leaving my partner and children in the car, first impressions were bad so we drove up the town and I went into "The Great Northern" and explained we had arrivedin BuBundoran but couldn't stay at the hotel we had booked the lady on the desk was just si friendly and helpful, despite being booked almost to capacity she found us a fabulous room,from that mmoment we enjoyed real Donegal hospitality the food, service and accommodation were jyst what we were looking for.
We felt like we'd been going there for years.
I would highly recommend this hotel infact we had intended on two nights byt were so comfortable and well looked after we stayed an extra day and night

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Ah dear...wonderful location with a spectacular beach for several hours walking and a sea view from the breakfast room that is second to none. Friendly staff and a decent breakfast (oddly served on salad plates, thus giving you no room to cut anything without knocking food off your plate.) It's got a golf course all around it and there were a fair smattering of golfers staying.
Ok...that was the good. Now the bad. And sadly there is a fair amount of this...
Smelly corridors...combination of damp and odours from the kitchen. Very tired rooms with small beds, uncomfortable mattresses and ancient blankets. Windows with half broken latches, glass not been cleaned in a while. Small gym, not tried, and spa, as tired as the rooms. Disabled access is not particularly spectacular...but the excellent staff did help the lady I saw struggling with her mothers wheelchair.
I would not overly recommend this to anyone...the corridor noise, both late in the evening and in the morning were spectacular!
Message to the owners!
Major refit needed guys, your location deserves it!
Nb...wifi...free...connecting irregularly...lobby only.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob1e
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Myself, my husband & our 5month old baby stayed here for 3nights at the start of September.
It was our 1st time taking our baby with us & were quite nervous but there was no need to. The hotel suited us down to the ground. As soon as we arrived we were put at our ease. Out of any hotel I have stayed in this was the best for cleanliness/friendliness etc. From the moment we checked in with Jackie everything was spot on. Jackie was great & is a vital part of your team :-) Staff took great interest in our baby which made us feel comfortable & it was like talking to friends they were that friendly.

The room were got was fine, up on the 2nd floor, clean & big enough for the 3 of us (which included our cot for the baby). The bed was so comfy, would be back for the bed alone! The only thing I could say is a touch of paint would freshen it up.

Food was excellant, as were the waiting staff. The manageress would need to tone it down abit though, she spoke down alot to her staff in front of guests but as the days went on we think her bark was worst than her bite but still not a good look.

We used the swimming pool & it was very clean also. It was an easy going, quiet few days away & we really enjoyed it. We will be back :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank LCKelly
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Spent two nights here with my wife in August. We found the bedrooms tired and in need of decoration. Beds not particularly comfortable and very small. We seemed to be miles from the reception with a slow lift to get to the 1st floor.Carpets were threadbare on the stairs.However we dined in the hotel both evenings and found the food reasonable but not special. The staff mainly mid european were kind, helpful and courteous. Cooked breakfast was particularly good being freshly made and not from a buffet.
Having said all this our deal price was excellent so I can't complain too much.
You get what you pay for! With so many good hotels in Donegal I don't think I would return.It realy does need a lot of money invested in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dick W
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I went to a wedding here on the August bank holiday weekend and while the exterior was really nice with amazing views but inside was completely outdated and jaded.. it looked shabby and dirty.

The food was horrible! The vol au vonts were so dry i had to drink load of water so my mouth wasnt dry and then again with the main course.. even when I had the meat smothered in gravy it still tasted dry... didnt even know that was possible!

The worst part though was when a manageress in a kind of white lace type top started being rude and degrading to the staff (who were nothing but friendly and efficient) in front of patrons.. nothing worse than a rude manager.. she needs an attitude adjustment!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Cassie R
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I stayed in early September for a golf classic. The room I was given 102 has uneven floor boards, I could hear all movement in the room above, the television reception was snowy.The shower took 5 minutes to get hot water and the flow was totally inadequate. Perhaps it was because I was on a golfer's deal but I will not be returning either as a golfer or a couple to this hotel. Staff were pleasant but not as friendly as I have experienced in other Donegal hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SOM1311
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!