“Excellent choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bundoran
London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here with my. Mam and Dad octogenarians ( Mam has limited mobility)for the weekend the booking from the uk was great Sharon really understood what I needed it was a last minute booking but every effort was made to accommodate us and offer good value for money. my parents were delighted with the service. Great location friendly helpful staff good entertainment and lots of information reception always manned with a friendly smile Martina happy to engage in conversation and give info after I am sure was along busy day! I would certainly stay again. The views from the room were great as a suggestion but really minor the only blight was that rubbish container area any chance of moving it out of eye shot from the rooms.

Room Tip: For disabled 1st floor rm 151 ample room two bathrooms great for sharing lift good size and in good...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Brenda

Thank you for the positive feedback. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Great Northern Hotel.

I have passed your comments on to the head of each department. Your feedback allows us to better all areas of the hotel, I have made the groundskeeper aware of your comments about the rubbish container, we will make sure to address this in full.

Again Brenda thank you for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Great Northern Hotel.

Brian McEniff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just back from 3 night family break(Mon Aug 11th-Thur 14th)2 adults and 2 kids aged 6 and 8), room average size double single and a fold up bed.Decor throughout hotel(from carpets to velvet wall paper) very old fashioned stairs would remind you of grannys house.There are actual keys to the doors of bedrooms instead of key cards!For a four star the toiletries in bathroom was minimalSwimming pool small wouldnt take too much for it to be full.We had meals included.I am always wary when the food arrives very soon after ordering and how right i was.Meat was tough, vegetables overcooked and dry and the potatoes watery.It looked like the meals were already cooked and either kept in oven or reheated.We were advised to book our table for dinner in the morning at reception but on two evenings the booking at reception never made it to the staff in dining room so we didnt bother booking on the third night.Limited choice at breakfast cooked breakfast to order but same seemed a bit dry., i have been at far superior 4 star hotels.Would go back to Bundoran but not the Great Northern.Maybe if the food quality was seriously improved and the dining room staff more training then you could probably overlook the old fashion bit but for a four star i expect alot more.Almost forgot no WiFi in bedrooms only in bar

Location
1 Thank Aileen S
Dear Aileen

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have passed your comments on to the management of each department.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your food at the hotel, I have made the chef aware of your comments and I would like to assure you that this will not happen again. All food is cooked to order so I will look into why the food was served to you in a "dry” state.

With regards to the “minimal bathroom toiletries” if you required more supplies we would have been more than happy to supply you with these on request.

Complimentary Wi-Fi is available to all guests in our lobby, bar & restaurant. We are currently working on getting this free service throughout the hotel.

We are always trying to meet our 4 star status, I apologies that we did not achieve this on your stay. If you are back in Bundoran we would love to welcome you back to the Great Northern Hotel for another stay.

Swanlinbar, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our wedding reception was in The Great Northern . From the first day we called to see Karen,we were looked after very well , nothing was too much trouble for her and the staff. The food was excellent and the service was very good, we weren't left waiting between courses for too long. It very much has the feel of a family run hotel where the management and staff are there to help in any way they can. I would recommend to it to anybody .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Great Northern Hotel is a truly amazing place to stay. As a four star hotel, it definitely lives up to its high standards. There's something for everyone in the family, from swimming to relaxing and having a great time. There's a Kids Club too so children of all ages can go bowling, to the cinema, do arts and crafts or get active with fun outdoor games. The food is exquisite and you'll always leave the peaceful dining room, full and happy. The staff are exceptionally helpful, especially those at reception and the waiters are just the same. The rooms are gorgeous and have such comfortable beds where you'll sleep long, calm nights and with a spotless bathroom, you won't leave disappointed. We found the situation perfect with a beach just down the road. We loved everything so much that we came back for four continuous years and plan to go a fifth! It's great for family holidays and with someone to assist your every need, why would you go anywhere else?

Room Tip: Higher floor with beach view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Rachel

Thank you for your recent review. It is with great pleasure to read your positive review. We are always trying to better the hotel and shine as been one of the best.

I am so very glad that you made use of our FREE go!kids kids club. I have passed all of your comments on to the management of each department.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Great Northern Hotel for your 5th stay.

Once again, thank you for your kind words

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We got married in Bundoran, followed by a reception in theGreat Northern Hotel on Friday 16th May.

Why did we choose the Great Northern for our wedding celebrations?

I (Ciara) had been to a few family weddings in the Great Northern and knew it was where I would have my wedding party if I ever got married. My brother had got married there 7 years ago & my sister 4 years ago. My sisters wedding particularly stands out in my memory. It was the attention to detail. My sister had a little boy & she wanted him st sit at the top table. As he was only 2 years old, it's a task to keep him entertained. Karen had this down to a fine art & if she saw him getting ancy, she had something new to discract him. Karen also very much personalised the wedding for the whole family. She knew everyone's first names & that says alot, it makes the whole family feel included.

As for our wedding, I can only only say it was truly magnificent. We had met with Karen a number of times before the wedding to agree exactly what we wanted. There was nothing we asked for too much trouble. Karen's attention to detail is second to none. I can remember sitting at the top table, looking at the flawless execution of all my requests. I can say hand on heart that nothing I asked for did not happen. Karen was on the floor, making sure all our guests were been looked after & Leah was at the top table looking after the needs of the wedding party. We were having a big wedding, so our guests were booking out the hotel the night of the wedding, quite a few even made a 3 night stay out of it. We also had a buffet after our wedding rehersal & the after party on the Saturday. Karen makes such an effort to make everyone feel welcome, this is one of the comments that that I have heard time & time again from my guests.

It's not just the big things that make a wedding, it's also the small things, those unspoken gestures. There's a truly wonderful team at the Great Northern who go the extra mile to make your day special. The Hotel caters for the young & old both, no-one will be disappoined. We had young & old at the wedding & everyone had a fantastic time.

We look forward to visiting agiain soon & catching up with the staff. From the moment you arrive the welcome is warm.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Ciara M
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and was a wee bit nervous after reading the reviews. When we arrived the location is fantastic the hotel is on the golf course with lovely views of the ocean and only a short walk into town. Check in was very efficient with a sign saying full payment will be taken on check in but nothing was taking not even a credit card. Went to our room and it was of old style but very clean and comfortable. Food and service in the bar was just ok, breakfast was poor enough as the food seemed overcooked and dried out. Had dinner on the second night with another couple. The menu was like something off a carvery with 4 options of main course 1 of which they were "out of". Called the supervisor with glasses and he said sorry that's the tour menu and handed us a menu with the wrong date and two extra choices. Once again food was just ok and service poor. Brian Mc Eniff was present on all days which was great to see. On check out the lady was lovely. The bill was presented with €110.00 missing which was the other couples dinner, bottle of wine and a round of drinks. Brian your loosing revenue and I'm one of the honest customers who told your staff what I had. Serious amount of training to be done at the hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank IrishMale098
GreatN0rthernH0tel, Owner at Great Northern Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review.

Thank you for your kind comments on the location of the hotel and how your room was comfortable and very clean. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy the food at the hotel, I have passed your comments on to the head chef. I will be speaking to the kitchen manager and addressing this issue again in full.

I would like to thank you for bringing the bill issue to our attention. I have made the reservation manager aware of what took place and we are working on making sure this never happens again. I have also addressed the problem you encountered with the menu, again thank you for making us aware of this.

Once again I would like to thank you for your review & we really do hope we can welcome you back to the Great Northern Hotel

Brian McEniff

Travellers are raving about these Bundoran hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hotel needs a good lick of paint and modernising but it does the job. Pool not great but food is good. Staff very helpful, particularly reception staff. Bar staff a bit slow. Views are great. Handy location for beach and shops etc. have been going here for 30 years and its still the best place in town

Rooms
Dear Brian

Thank you for your recent review. It is wonderful to read that you have been coming to the hotel for over 30 years, thank you for your loyal custom.

We are always trying to better the service at the hotel. I have passed your comments on to the management and we will address all of your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Great Northern Hotel.

Brian McEniff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bundoran
The Holyrood Hotel
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Fitzgerald's Hotel
Fitzgerald's Hotel
#2 of 5 in Bundoran

Been to Great Northern Hotel? Share your experiences!